DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Nerzugal's Enchantment tables for FGU and PDF

Greetings,

I need some direction/advice on how DM's are using the Enchantment tables for the Nerzugal's GM Toolkit. I have the PDF and I'm considering purchasing the FGU module. In my campaign I have a Wizard who's willing to enchant items for the party and I wanted to use the tables to make interesting enchantments using the random dice rolls on the charts.

What I can't work out in my head is the risk/reward mechanism and/or dice rolls to request of my players. There are 4 levels (Lesser to Legendary) of Detrimental effects and 4 levels of Beneficial effects. If anyone has used these tables successfully I'd love to hear about how you assigned the dice rolls.

For example of what I'm considering:

Players roll Percentage dice - first roll sets the Detrimental or Benefits - second roll sets the level - third roll is the D100 for the effect. That doesn't sound great to me because who's going to continue with the rolls if they already know it's a detrimental effect. (or I could keep the first result secret)

Need some advice

cheers,

Foggy

I would tell your players that all 3 rolls are happening at the same time and keep all rolls hidden until the final result. If they get a bad result they could potentially sell the weapon to a unknowing shop keeper.

Blog Entries
    Never used it / not aware of it, but from The Decepticon's advice, just have them roll in the tower, then wen finalized drag the results back to chat so they can see the results. Also, if its from the FG Store, their is a 30 day refund policy. Buy it and try it out

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    Never used it / not aware of it, but from The Decepticon's advice, just have them roll in the tower, then wen finalized drag the results back to chat so they can see the results. Also, if its from the FG Store, their is a 30 day refund policy. Buy it and try it out
    So here's my dilemma. I've already purchased the PDF. I'm not keen on spending the extra $$ for the FGU version. Also, though I'm not sure, I think at if I use the coded tables in FGU, those rolls are finite. If I use the PDF tables and just ask for rolls I can change the results or adjust as I see needed. Sure you can do that in FGU but I would imagine it's more work as FGU is just going to assign the values to the table. Does that make sense?

Also as part of my thinking...should every enchantment automatically include a detrimental effect as well as the beneficial? giving me a headache now...
    Last edited by fogcutter; February 17th, 2022 at 18:40. Reason: additional thoughts

If you are familiar with the process and you have the time, one can rebuild the PDF tables and such in FG. The actual content on the DM's Guild is mainly third-party. Using any content within the platform is very subjective to your needs and what type of experience you are trying to give your players, and how much work you want to put into your campaign. You can do whatever you want. YOu are not obligated to use FG or third-party content. Have you considered reaching out to the publisher of this content?
    This seems more like you are trying to avoid buying the FG version because you already own the PDF now? Also, are you looking for GM/DM advice, or do you actually need help with Fantasy Grounds Unity?

https://www.dmsguild.com/product/188...Master-Toolkit
    8 d100 Magic Item Enchantment Tables

These eight tables can help you create a huge assortment of custom magic items that stray far from the ordinary! Four of the tables provide benefits and the others provide detriments, allowing to craft all manner of the magic items by rolling for special properties! These have 4 tiers each - starting from Minor enchantments and going all the way up to Legendary. Starting with things as simple as gaining a d4 for a particular stat to summoning powerful allies at the start of combat or becoming an avatar of the item itself!
    FGA Founder
    FGU teacher and student!
    Ultimate License Holder
    Discord Alias: Laerun#6969

https://www.fantasygroundsacademy.com

Quote Originally Posted by Laerun View Post
    If you are familiar with the process and you have the time, one can rebuild the PDF tables and such in FG. The actual content on the DM's Guild is mainly third-party. Using any content within the platform is very subjective to your needs and what type of experience you are trying to give your players, and how much work you want to put into your campaign. You can do whatever you want. YOu are not obligated to use FG or third-party content. Have you considered reaching out to the publisher of this content?
    This seems more like you are trying to avoid buying the FG version because you already own the PDF now? Also, are you looking for GM/DM advice, or do you actually need help with Fantasy Grounds Unity?

I'm fine with the PDF and I love the tables themselves. What I wanted help with is how to make the dice rolls interesting and fun. Do I make EVERY item I want to enchant have a detrimental effect? What and how should I have my players roll to get the most interesting item?

The possibilities seem endless and I wanted to see if anyone had had any experience or advice on how best to make the rolls.

My idea so far is to tell the players that the Enchanter can't control the magic - all items will probably have a detriment as well as a benefit Have them roll D20's or D100 to set the level of detriment - then roll D100 to set the level for benefit - then D100 to set the actual effects.

OR...do I make it straight rolls - say three or two rolls - high gets a benefit - low gets a detriment .....too many options...lol

Doesn't the PDF explain what you should be rolling and when?

It's hard to give you any advice when we don't know the product.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Quote Originally Posted by Zacchaeus View Post
    Doesn't the PDF explain what you should be rolling and when?

It's hard to give you any advice when we don't know the product.
    Unfortunately there are no instructions per se....just 8 tables of Effects

Lesser Beneficial 1-100
    Medium Beneficial 1-100
    Major Beneficial 1-100
    Legendary Beneficial 1-100

Then same for the Detrimental

Not a big deal....I'll figure something out...just looking for inspiration

Blog Entries
    The DMG has rules/suggestions for using similarly named tables within it. Perhaps these are expanded tables to use instead? See the section on creating magical items for use of te similar tables.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

If these are similar to the artefact tables that LE mentions above then the actual artefact (or magic item or whatever it is) should have a note as to what kinds of benefits or detriments it has. In the DMG for example artefacts will be noted as having 1 benefit from Minor Benefits table and 1 Benefit from the Major Benefits table and 1 detriment from the Major Detriments table - or something similar.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Thread Information