DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 3 of 18 First 1234513 ... Last
    Quote Originally Posted by vaughnlannister View Post
    Sure, I will I'm just starting to play around with them . I know this has been suggested.. but thought it worth suggesting again, if you could add automation to check off spell slots, when a player cast a spell, that would be awesome !! My players never do it themselves, other then that it looks pretty solid to me, I haven't run into other things I would want it to do for me yet, but I'm quite new to FGs and DnD .
    You can double click the up-casting box to tick off the spell level on the character sheet.. How does this not do this ?

And in more detail of my thoughts,

As it stands a spell could have multiple action lines, some are used most of the time, some are optional or depend on results.. So its not possible to say 'mark off' parts of the spell as its used and then once all parts are marked off to then 'tick off a spell' as done. That would require fully path flowing every spell and tracking the stages and steps, need loads of pop ups for things like 'target selections' and rolls etc...

To properly automate a spell tick off, would require fundamental structure at fantasy grounds program level, and this to then be added to every module for every spell. Its not something that is viable as an external extension, due to the fact 'every spell' would then be requested for that data as the extension (my) responsibility. Which is thousand(s) of spells to look after and manage at the whim of anybody wanting to make up a spell and request it work with the extension.

Fantasy grounds 'helps' automate many things, but its not a game that has a known structure and feature set and hence can not be automated to the likes of say final fantasy.

As an example, can you list what a 'player' would do to say 'cast magic missile' in terms of button presses/selections and how and when this would then 'automatically ticked off the spell slot'

( Yes I know this is not your direct suggestion, but can you give it some thought and put some words down as to 'how' you think this would work at a player interaction level... )

From what I can see '5e spell automation' basically uses the left side 'icon' of the spell to tick off the spell, it runs all the actions... which then 'breaks' a lot of spells... For example 'chromatic orb' will roll the ranged 'attack' cast and on a hit it will then roll the 3d8 damage for 'acid', and 3d8 'cold', and 3d8 'fire', and 3d8 'lightning', and 3d8 'poison', and 3d8 'thunder'... ( And if the spell also has effect actions it will run all those even if only some should apply.. ), for magic missile it only rolls one 1d4+1 damage instead of 3 of these or more at higher level and again no 'target' selections etc...

Hence this is why I say 'automation' of spells does not work. You would have to know that only one of the damage lines need to be run for chromatic orb... you need to pop up to ask the player which damage type etc... and magic missile needs target pop ups as you could and should roll each dart against a creature ( which might die ) and select the next target etc...

This is just 2 examples of simple spells, more complex flow exists in other spells.

Does this clear up the reason why automated spell just does not work, without it been fundamental to fantasy grounds and it 'forcing' flow structure to be built into every spell. ( which modules would then have to add/support to add new spells etc.. )

-pete

Hi Pete,

just to let you know I've been testing with the most recent version and so far things are working well. Thanks for all your work.

Cheers,

Simon

Hi Pete,

I was thinking if similar implementation could be used as for the "Use Up Power" https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...wers-extension

Fantasy grounds already can make a distinction between, power, cantrips and spells (see images). Screenshot 2020-10-16 at 19.04.53.pngScreenshot 2020-10-16 at 19.04.43.png.
    Maybe full coverage of spell slot tracking would be difficult, but I was wondering if, a spell cast when pressed, then could automatically check the upcast from your window --> then mark of the lvl of the spell slot.

For Damage (magic missile), Heal or spells effect, maybe it would be possible to add an effect line that could be tied into this mark of, for spell slots in a similar way as described above. Players would have to add this effects line themselves to spell that they want to have automation for.

Another idea would be to track the symbols of the spells used for casting in the chat.
    That are used in the Rob2e Spell Effects codings.
    (Mattekure chat triggers uses this for sounds)

(60) - Range - this will be a range in feet 30, 60, 90, etc.
    (S) - Self - sometimes listed with a corresponding range
    (T) Touch
    (C) Concentration
    (B) Bonus Action
    (R) Reaction
    (RIT) Ritual
    ($) Component cost

So I was hoping that a button press for a cast, effect or DMG/Heal from a spell could be linked to mark of the spells.
    I don't know if this would be achievable.. I'm not an expert in coding.. but maybe it could help spark an idea, or could be interpreted from your perspective if this would be possible to do?

Many thanks for your openness to feedback!

Vaughn
    Last edited by vaughnlannister; October 16th, 2020 at 18:57.

Hi Pete,

I was thinking if similar implementation could be used as for the "Use Up Power" https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...wers-extension

Fantasy grounds already can make a distinction between, power, cantrips and spells (see images). Screenshot 2020-10-16 at 19.04.53.pngScreenshot 2020-10-16 at 19.04.43.png.
    Maybe full coverage of spell slot tracking would be difficult, but I was wondering if, a spell cast when pressed, then could automatically check the upcast from your window --> then mark of the lvl of the spell slot.

For Damage (magic missile), Heal or spells effect, maybe it would be possible to add an effect line that could be tied into this mark of, for spell slots in a similar way as described above. Players would have to add this effects line themselves to spell that they want to have automation for.

Another idea would be to track the symbols of the spells used for casting in the chat.
    That are used in the Rob2e Spell Effects codings.
    (Mattekure chat triggers uses this for sounds)

(60) - Range - this will be a range in feet 30, 60, 90, etc.
    (S) - Self - sometimes listed with a corresponding range
    (T) Touch
    (C) Concentration
    (B) Bonus Action
    (R) Reaction
    (RIT) Ritual
    ($) Component cost

So I was hoping that a button press for a cast, effect or DMG/Heal from a spell could be linked to mark of the spells.
    I don't know if this would be achievable.. I'm not an expert in coding.. but maybe it could help spark an idea, or could be interpreted from your perspective if this would be possible to do?

Many thanks for your openness to feedback!

Vaughn
    Well if you double click my upcast level box it already marks off the spell at the top of the character sheet...

Yes I understand and know about usages and the like, I use these sorts of tick off for my characters lay on hands...

You could also probably understand I know a lot about how the spell system works from the rule set source code, I've made changes in nearly every part of the spell parsing code.. ( And weapons, and effects, from my other extensions.. )

Its not that its impossible to do what you want, and the above information you suggest is nothing close to the data you would need to make a quality solution. Yes I could hack some bodge together, and force players to 'hand code' effects and drag those about as you suggest... but the reality is I think that would be worse than the current system.

Fantasy grounds, just is not design to automate fully, it would need a fundamental change to make a nice reliable system that users new->experienced could actually use. ( Yes I'm sure some of the long term users will put up with a lot.. )

The reality of a system, I think, you are suggesting would require significant work in the spell,effects,character,npc,combat track and probably even the image system for the likes of LoS data.

While you are thinking about it from the player side, the reality is you also need to think about how this links back to the dm's/npc/ct side due to how the rule set code is designed and written.

Its just not something I think is workable from my extension side, and/or the time and effort I feel it would take to implement in a system I would be happy to release to the public. ( And I don't see any real use for it, because I feel you would still need to have player interactions for it to progress over the stages of the spell cast... I don't see what it would 'save' for a player/dm.. )

Its clear I probably have a different view on what you are suggesting, but I dont see a way to automate spell casting without the need for interacting with the player/dm. ( Yes I'm sure 'some' of the simple spell would work, but I'm not interesting in a solution for 'some' of the spell. Maybe I just have a high quality requirement that I just dont see as possible.. I will let it mull-around in my thoughts, but I just dont see a viable solution at the moment. )

-pete

It's fine..
    In an ideal world.. where anything was possible.. this would be how I hoped it could work.
    Its ok.. its still great.. and people are just gonna have to learn to double click the upcast when they use a spell or remember how many spells they have left

Vaughn

Hi, I noticed that if that an upcast for a spell that is placed in a different group like Druid, your unable to upcast to a higher lvl spell, would that be a feature you would add in the future?

Screenshot 2020-10-22 at 11.03.47.png

Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hi, I noticed that if that an upcast for a spell that is placed in a different group like Druid, your unable to upcast to a higher lvl spell, would that be a feature you would add in the future?

Screenshot 2020-10-22 at 11.03.47.png

Thanks!
    I had a quick look, and it seems from my testing and the look of your screen shot.... that you have these items configured in the 'actions' section and not in the 'spells' section.

Can you confirm you have these assigned to an 'action' section... ( check the meta data... )

'Actions' can group multiple spells at different levels into a group, because the full group is considered at level 0 by the rule set.

I also suspect that the rule set does other different things in the process of 'actions'.

( I'd not use actions for spells, but I understand why you have the druid ability in this section as to use the 'number' per day section etc.. )

I'll take a better look when I have some time, but the extension was not designed to consider 'actions' as 'spell' items... as the rule set splits these in the code so I have to look at that 'why' before I can even look as a solution...

Hi yes!

I have these assigned in the action section indeed! Where you are able to assign how many daily uses, or uses per long rest for powers.

Thanks! Hopefully we might see this in the future!

Hi yes!

I have these assigned in the action section indeed! Where you are able to assign how many daily uses, or uses per long rest for powers.

Thanks! Hopefully we might see this in the future!
    Updated in v2.4 for you..

Let me know if this causes any unknown issues, as I'm not sure if the rule set code might have issues. ( It does not seem to, but I only checked a few spells etc.. )

-pete

Awesome it works !!!!

Thank you!!!

Thread Information