DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 10 of 18 First ... 89101112 ... Last
    Quote Originally Posted by anathemort View Post
    One tangential question - do you have plans to put this extension in the Forge?
    Due to the DMsGuild license its not possible to bring this extension onto the forge.

Only 'some' DMsGuild extensions were flagged by WotC to be removed from DMsGuild and only those were given permission to move to forge. ( just my 'spell tokens' extension was flagged by WotC and given permission to be moved to forge. )

I did make a request to DMsGuild to allow me to move this and my other extensions over to the forge, but this was turned down.

-pete

Thanks for verifying all that, pete. I'm going to pick up this extension on DMsGuild, looking forward to it

This is great so far. I especially like that it can help reduce the noise around Divine Smite

I found that the extension can't parse the Chaos Bolt spell; the higher level wording is quite unique, and of course the damage is not determined until after you roll:
    At Higher Levels. When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 2nd level or higher, each target takes 1d6 extra damage of the type rolled for each slot level above 1st.

This is great so far. I especially like that it can help reduce the noise around Divine Smite

I found that the extension can't parse the Chaos Bolt spell; the higher level wording is quite unique, and of course the damage is not determined until after you roll:
    Yep the 'normal ruleset' parse of this is poor which makes it an issue. I have a bunch of 'custom' replacements in for some of the spells that do not parse very well. I'll look to add this one in, so that you get an upcast effect line for each type. It will not be able to roll the type, but you could roll a d8 and then pick the required one. ( Would end up looking like chromatic orb )

Note,

while a lot of spells will generate upcast version, a number of 'odd' worded ones do not and sometimes the 'by hand' changes of the likes of rob2e and grim press versions dont always create upcast version if they have changed the damage/heal/effect set so it does not match what the pure 'ruleset' would have parsed. ( As I have to run the ruleset parse and try and 'match' the damage lines into the 'by hand' version which I only do if they match up. ) Otherwise I'd end up basically having to hand build lots of spell.

I'm not a fan of the 'by hand' version of rob2e/grim press, as it does not allow you to write your own spells and have it work. Which is why I publish the 'extra' word search layouts in the DMsGuild page of this extension, so you can check if you have a word in the wrong place. Much the same way the FG lists these search lay outs at the bottom of the 5e effect manual page for the normal spell parse system.
    Last edited by bratch9; October 17th, 2021 at 22:04.

Thanks for verifying all that, pete. I'm going to pick up this extension on DMsGuild, looking forward to it
    If you spot a conflict with 'more' use, let me know and I'll take a look. But it looks to be doing most things fine.

-pete

Quote Originally Posted by bratch9
    Yep the 'normal ruleset' parse of this is poor which makes it an issue. I have a bunch of 'custom' replacements in for some of the spells that do not parse very well. I'll look to add this one in, so that you get an upcast effect line for each type. It will not be able to roll the type, but you could roll a d8 and then pick the required one. ( Would end up looking like chromatic orb )
    That makes a lot of sense. I wouldn't ask you to put a lot of effort in; it was fairly easy to just add a bunch of lvlX lines myself for that one spell and it works great. I let the player roll it untyped and make adjustments based on resistances once they decide, anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by bratch9 View Post
    If you spot a conflict with 'more' use, let me know and I'll take a look. But it looks to be doing most things fine.
    Agreed, sure thing! Next game is on Wednesday and my sorcerer player will more than likely be upcasting some spells in their devil fight

Bratch9,
    Does this extension or can this extension work with Innate Spellcasting? Or is there a way to make it roughly functionally the same?
    The newer WotC resources that will be coming out uses Innate wording for the casters now, and this will make it difficult (mainly for cantrips, as other spells now are not designed to be used at higher levels by NPCs anymore it seems).

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by razzed1 View Post
    Bratch9,
    Does this extension or can this extension work with Innate Spellcasting? Or is there a way to make it roughly functionally the same?
    The newer WotC resources that will be coming out uses Innate wording for the casters now, and this will make it difficult (mainly for cantrips, as other spells now are not designed to be used at higher levels by NPCs anymore it seems).

Thanks!
    Not sure what will happen with the new wording, will have to wait and see how this changes ( if any ) the 5e ruleset. But if spell now do not have slots and are listed in Innate then these are designed to be pre-configured. ie if the npc can cast magic missile at higher than 1st level, I'd expect that to be listed as a different entry now. ( eg, magic missile 1st level 3/day, magic missile 2nd level 1/day etc.. ) I'd also expect that a listed cantrip on a CR5 gets that cantrip at the level 5 specific increased damage.

I've not seen any of the new layout text, and not sure if any are in fantasy grounds yet. ( Do you known of examples in Fantasy grounds yet ? )

I will keep an eye out but I suspect with this simplifications and NPC having more magic attacks then magic spell casting/slots... that this new layout would fully define the exact magic damage expected for that NPC and so would not need any ability to 'upcast'.

-pete

I've identified a conflict with Capital Gains, described here. Hoping you can pair with MeAndUnique to resolve it!

https://github.com/MeAndUnique/CapitalGains/issues/1

I've identified a conflict with Capital Gains, described here. Hoping you can pair with MeAndUnique to resolve it!

https://github.com/MeAndUnique/CapitalGains/issues/1
    Thanks for reporting this, When I get chance I'll have a go to set this up and see what is causing the issue.

My guess is that ASD decode of some of the power message data is now not valid due to the new terms added by capital gains, and this then causes the formatting to break which is then passed down to capital gains in an invalid layout ( ie missing bits of the data.. hence the error. )

I've not had change to look into the 'big' ruleset change due in a couple of weeks time, so I might not get to look at this until after then. I'm busy with work, so not had much time to deal with extension coding.

If I get a bit of time I'll do a test to see if its a quick fix or not.

-pete
    Forge Profile
    DMsGuild Profile

Forge Modules: B9's Steel Defender.
    Forge Extensions: B9's Spell Tokens, B9's Encumbrance Tweak, B9's Damage Per Round, B9's Surprise Round.
    DMsGuild Extensions: Advanced Weapon Damage, Advanced Spell Damage, Aspect Of The Bear, Spell Long Rest For NPC, Spell Domain.

Thread Information