STAR TREK 2d20
Page 5 of 18 First ... 3456715 ... Last
    Hiya Bratch
    I've just installed this extension in FGU current build 4.10 on a Mac. running Catalina 10.15.7
    I've disabled all other previously loaded extensions.

The Rob2e spells are not being parsed still.

I've checked some common ones like "Burning Hands" such as used in your example.
    If I switch to PHB versions, then it works as expected.
    NPC's work fine

I had thought I understood that your support extended to "5e Effects Coding - Spells"

What have I done wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by Reg View Post
    Hiya Bratch
    I've just installed this extension in FGU current build 4.10 on a Mac. running Catalina 10.15.7

I've checked some common ones like "Burning Hands" such as used in your example.
    NPC's work fine

I had thought I understood that your support extended to "5e Effects Coding - Spells"

What have I done wrong?
    From my PC version 4.10 FG unity, this is what I get for burning hands from both PHB and Rob2e spell. The image is taken set as a level 9 cast, you can see the extra damage and when looking at the spell 'dmg' 'magnifying glass' 'spell/ability damage' you can see both versions of the spells list the extra d6 fire,lvl2... damage as expected.

Can you post the same from your mac side, as i dont have mac its not a 'test' that i can do.. so any information would help. I need to see if its failing to encode the extra lines of damage into the 'spell/ability damage' or if its failing to expand the dmg line on the character sheet when interacting with the header bar cast level etc..

Sorry this is not working for you, as far as I know it should. So its does need to be looked at, but due to lack of mac on my side I can not direct test this issues, so any images/campaign zip you can provide would help.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Reg View Post
    Hiya Bratch

NPC's work fine

What have I done wrong?
    Also please note, a phb spell can 're-parse' on a character sheet, but rob2e spells do not ( this is the case with no extensions installed... due to how they are encoded.. ), so I always advise (as noted in the instructions) that spell (specifically rob2e ones) need to be re-added to a character and not re-parsed in place on the character sheet.

Also, some of rob2e spell had 'different' damage encoding to the spell they are based off, if these do not match then I also do not add the extra 'lvl' data to the spell as the 'custom damage line' is considered to be a change to the spell. You might spot some of this with for example '1d6 slashing,magic' type damage as it might have been coded in rob2e as '1d6 slashing' ( no magic ).. Please check the original phb version to see if it differs from what is coded in rob2e effect coding spells... I'm not sure if the module from rob2e was built from a time when spell parser did not add in the 'magic' tag for the damage, or if he has specifically removed the tag for his own reasons.

as requested, any information as to the process you used on the character, and results, etc... with images would help, as it is possible mac is causing a specific issue that is now known.
    Last edited by bratch9; April 16th, 2021 at 17:18.

Hello,

ill you be integting with 5e automatic effects too?

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...omatic-Effects

thnks!

Quote Originally Posted by rtrevino70 View Post
    Hello,

ill you be integting with 5e automatic effects too?

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...omatic-Effects

thnks!
    Not even sure what 'integrating' would be in this case ? ( These are effects that end up on the player, so nothing to do with spells as such, so not sure what the question is about.. )

As I dont have the extensions, I can not tell if these conflict and cause any issues with operation of either.. if you have both and they are not working correct please let me know, what sort of issues you are getting and I can try and guess the issue.

EDIT... picked up the extension and modules... so had a very quick check..

see attached 'test.png' this is a PHB and a 5e Automatic PHB version of fireball.. you can see that both get the correct extra 'lvl' sections of advanced spell damage without breaking the extra effect of the 5e automatic.

while I only checked this one case, I did not see a code conflict with '5e equipped effects', and as long as the spells in the 5E automatic PHB version match the description of the PHB versions then all should generate correct.

ALSO like rob2e spell effects, as they use the same 'pre-parsed' custom effects modules, these 5e automatic PHB spells will not 're-parse' as it restores them to the default PHB structure, and looses the 'extra' hand edited version data.
    Last edited by bratch9; April 17th, 2021 at 15:27.

Hi Bratch9, was checking the forums on ways to upcast spells and found this post. Thanks for picking up my module. Returned the favor by picking up yours.
    5 minute test with fireball looks good! Looks great in fact.
    I'll do some extensive testing tonight.
    I have one question, what do you mean by "looses the 'extra' hand edited version data in the post above this one.
    Fantasy Grounds Converter for Grim Press
    My projects:

Also can confirm this works really well with 5e automatic effects.

A trick I found to preserve the coding and get the upcast/spell tokens from your other module attached is to drag and drop the 5e Automatic effects spell that is currently on a characters sheet to make a duplicate. It forces the parsing but also preserves the effects coding without reverting to the phb version- so you get the custom hand edits and the spell token/upcast info added.

@Aridho - if instead of dragging and dropping to
    make a duplicate you right click and use the parse option, it’ll clear your edits and instead replace it with the phb version of the spell. Doing the above method I described however preserves your coding and parses stuff to use bratch’s upcasting and spell tokens.

Of course, you can also just drag the spells from the 5e auto effects module and it will parse everything perfectly too.

Really like both of your extensions- thanks!
    Last edited by viviolay; April 23rd, 2021 at 19:37. Reason: Adding something
    Fantasy Grounds D&D Adventurers League Consultant
    Organizer, DungeonMaster , and TTRPG Gamer

Quote Originally Posted by Aridhro View Post
    Hi Bratch9, was checking the forums on ways to upcast spells and found this post. Thanks for picking up my module. Returned the favor by picking up yours.
    5 minute test with fireball looks good! Looks great in fact.
    I'll do some extensive testing tonight.
    I have one question, what do you mean by "looses the 'extra' hand edited version data in the post above this one.
    What I am expressing with 'loose the 'extra' hand edited' can be seen in the 'reparse.png' example attached...

In the '5E_Automatic_Effects_Players_Handbook.mod', the effects are a 'construct' made by dragging the original 'PHB' version onto a character sheet and then 'hand editing' these to add extra features. Once these have been done the character sheet in the db.xml is used as a 'cut'n'paste' source to make the actual 'module' part that is provided.

What this does is break 're-parse', as can be see in the png for the 'torch', the extra by hand edited in 'effect' for light will be 'lost' on a re-parse...

This is because 'powers' in the general term, normally from the PHB source do not have 'actions' defined. The act of dragging the 'spell/power', to the character sheet causes the 'parse' process to generate these 'actions'
    ie effect/damage/cast items you get on the character sheet.

BUT once on the character sheet, to be able to edit these now... the rule set has a feature that if it finds 'actions' it does not re-parse when the character sheet is loaded... other wise any changes you make on the character sheet versions would be reset back to what is in the PHB description that was copied to the character sheet.

Modules like rob2e and this, 'use' the character load 'check for actions, dont parse, just COPY', stage of the rule set code... this allows these custom 'hand edited' versions with pre-defined 'actions', that are not part of the 'description' use during a parse, to exist and be copied to the character sheet when dragged on.

The more 'correct' way of doing these sorts of additions is to 'expand' the description parse system to look for extra items in the 'description' which then generates the 'actions' for the power/spell as required...

An example might be to add to the description of a spell..

'Spell causes 1d6 acid damage, and leaves a pool of light 10ft' ( This is an example and not properly worded... but to make the point. )

In the normal rule set parse... this would create only a 'damage 1d6 acid' action for this power.

The correct way would be to add an extension, like this one, that extends the parse system to look for 'Light [n]ft' in the description and then add an 'action' of 'effect 'Light: 10' to the character sheet.

If you see what I'm getting at..... this basically what my extension is doing.... its extending the parse to look for the 'at higher level' part of the spell description and creating the correct adjustment.

Due to this you can use my extension on 'any spell' if it is worded correct and it will generate the correct 'lvlN' extra lines as required..

What my extension does not do, is basically what these modules do... is 'HARD CODE' the effect list... this is why the re-parse does not work on rob2e and 5E_Automatic_Effects_Players_Handbook.mod...

This is why if you look on my extension page you can see the 'Damage parse structure,' section that lists,

eg, 'damage increases by DICE for each slot level above LEVEL[st,nd,rd,th]'

Because these are the words I'm looking for in the spell description to pick out the 'DICE' and the 'LEVEL' for the at higher level control.. I can then add the required extra damage/heal lines as required and this works on any spell that has the correct wording. The wording I use is mainly 'standard' to how the PHB expresses the 'at higher level' part of the description of the spell text.

Sorry, probably gone into way too much detail for your request... but I wanted to express that my extension is doing the much harder cases of processing the description to make the adjustments and so will work on any spell worded correctly and is not 'hard coding' a list of extra lines.

( I do have some hard coded spells, but only a few... and also the 5e rule set also has some hard coded spells... these mainly fall outside the 'normal' word layouts of the PHB so are simpler to hard code then adding loads of special case word search patterns for them.. )

-pete

Quote Originally Posted by viviolay View Post
    Also can confirm this works really well with 5e automatic effects.

A trick I found to preserve the coding and get the upcast/spell tokens from your other module attached is to drag and drop the 5e Automatic effects spell that is currently on a characters sheet to make a duplicate. It forces the parsing but also preserves the effects coding without reverting to the phb version- so you get the custom hand edits and the spell token/upcast info added.

@Aridho - if instead of dragging and dropping to
    make a duplicate you right click and use the parse option, it’ll clear your edits and instead replace it with the phb version of the spell. Doing the above method I described however preserves your coding and parses stuff to use bratch’s upcasting and spell tokens.

Of course, you can also just drag the spells from the 5e auto effects module and it will parse everything perfectly too.

Really like both of your extensions- thanks!
    Thanks for the comment.

yep re-dragging the 'shortcut' on the character sheet back onto the character sheet will 'copy' the items in the same way as when they are added from these custom source(s) (rob2e etc.. ). Because this all goes via the re-parse code, even the copy part, the 'spell tokens' code patches at the end of this process will 'update' and add the 'spell token'... while the act of asking for a re-parse causes all 'actions' to be deleted and re-added from the description text process. Which is why I always say do not re-parse rob2e modules etc... and if using my 'spell tokens' extension you might have to re-drag them onto your character..

Nice to see someone so passionate about his work. I dont mind that you went into detail.
    About that reparsing thing, I noticed that you better not do it, but dont realise why you would need it as your upcast parsing works fine the moment you drag a spell to the action tab, preserving all other effects. The copy idea of Viviolay is a great idea if something did not parse.
    Works perfectly and will advise to those who ask about upcasting. Why do the extra work if it can be this easy.
    Fantasy Grounds Converter for Grim Press
    My projects:

Thread Information