STAR TREK 2d20

Undersatnding FG better before i invest.

Still just working to wrap my head around the FG tool use. Not in how do I ___. But more in. what is possible, what limitations are there, and what’s the work flow like?

Right now I’m wondering about adventure module making and sharing.
    I’ve looked at the how to PDF and the conversion PDF and don’t exactly get what the end outcome is relative to what I want to know about.

If I make an adventure for 5e, can it just include the adventure data I create only, even though on my end when we play I load 5e PBH/GM whatever up to use with it?
    Can I just make it clear the module won’t play right if you do not yourself provide books X/Y/Z? Like most adventures you’d buy as physical media, that wont get you a lot of game play, if you don’t also already have the RPG's base system book/s to go with it.

Or is that if I made a 5e adventure that, for example, has a quest reward of a magic item from the GM’s. Does this adventure now automatically have and include Hasbro IP data in it too, and now can’t be freely shared with anyone?

Which way does FG do this? Or is it either, and how you make it determines what you wind up with?

Thanks for any time and attention you can give to this,
    Yeti

First take a free course at https://fantasygroundscollege.net/. The intro or character making one is the best place to start. Next download the demo or demos. You can open Classic or Unity and see what it does before you have to buy.
    If you want a Wishlist in the Fantasy grounds store klick the link and upvote it.
    https://fgapp.idea.informer.com/proj/fgapp?ia=135468

Blog Entries
    So what is your use case for such a module? I ask because what it sounds like is your are wondering about Intellectual Property concerns regarding distribution.

If it's just for your own use and that of your players, none of that matters as it falls under personal use.

The easiest outlet for 5E modules is the www.DMsGuild.com, you do not need any additional license agreements or permissions etc. You can use the FG SRD modules as your base. You can use the information from other WotC books, but you can not copy the FG objects.

Distributing modules for pay anywhere else requires permission i.e. a license from SmiteWorks, plus maybe from the IP holder of the game system. It depends.

To look at your questions, in an FG module, you can either link to an item/object from another source (in which case when you try to follow the link FG will prompt you to load it) or copy it. Which way you go depends upon the IP considerations.

Let us know and we can answer more directly and fully.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post

To look at your questions, in an FG module, you can either link to an item/object from another source (in which case when you try to follow the link FG will prompt you to load it) or copy it. Which way you go depends upon the IP considerations.

Let us know and we can answer more directly and fully.
    That was what i was not clear on the mechanical function of.

If i am creating my own adventure but using items and what not from source materials. i just make sure to always link to those sources. And can then include that for use, X, Y, Z, resources are required to be loaded for it to work . That was exactly what i as trying to understand about how it functioned internally for such stuff.
    The "how to" stuff i was finding was more about the making of and less about the under the hood stuff i was seeking.
    Thanks

and this can be closed then too i guess.
    Last edited by A Social Yeti; September 11th, 2020 at 01:00.

Blog Entries
    Glad you got what you needed

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Thread Information