STAR TREK 2d20
Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Is there a way to remove the grey background on maps and images?

I've installed FGU today after watching a few of the Twitch videos about maps but there's something that's bothering me that I can't find any info on. Just need to know if Im doing something wrong or if it's not supported functionality.

When I add an image or a map using FGU it seems that something is setting the size of the image/map and it's not the image Im importing. FGU then adds a grey background.

To clarify.

How FGC adds the image
    No Grey Background.png

How FGU adds the image.
    Grey Background.png

Is there a way to select a layer and do something like "Size map to layer". It looks really weird that you put down an image and you and your players can then scroll over this massive background. Also, when you add an fx layer the fx covers that grey background and it just looks a little odd.

This all seems very weird so Im sure Im just doing it wrong. Any thoughts?

https://fgapp.idea.informer.com/proj/?ia=136203
    Last edited by Rylan Storm; October 11th, 2022 at 12:29. Reason: Added FGIdeas Link
    www.accidentaldm.com - The diary of a Newbie DM

Click the "Zoom to Fit' button in the top left (the four arrows in an X shape).
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

I think that for players it is always black, but I didn't test it (when it is about that you are afraid of that players could see the boundary) EDIT: With activated LoS
    Last edited by Kelrugem; September 10th, 2020 at 20:03.

That's not really getting me to where I'd want to be either.

That just zooms in (and makes the image really blurry) but what I really want is the map/image/window areato be defined by the actual image, not something that seems to be set in the background and is out of my control.
    Zoom to Fit.png

In the case of this particular image, it's 600x300 pixels. In FGC the window size is only just enough to accommodate the image. If I expand the window the image scales to fit. Now what happens is the image appears in a large window with grey, I have to downsize the window and play around with it. If I expand the window I just get more grey area.

It really just seems like it's a lot more effort to get a result which doesn't look as clean.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelrugem View Post
    I think that for players it is always black, but I didn't test it (when it is about that you are afraid of that players could see the boundary)
    Sorry, you and I seem to have posted at exactly the same time. It's not that I'm worried about it - it's just that the one thing that drew me to Fantasy Grounds over Roll20 was how clean it all looked. Making map window areas larger than they need to be and allowing your players to scroll way into the blackness/greyness for small handouts etc just looks really messy. It's also a case that displaying an image now seems to take 2 or 3 more steps.

It used to be
    1. Click on image.
    2. Share.

Now it's

1. Click on image.
    2. Resize window to a reasonable level.
    3. Zoom to fit.
    4. Adjust the window area a bit more to get rid of the background.
    5. Share
    6. Hope that players don't scroll off into the border area.

Also, in the screenshot I added in the most recent post, the blizzard on the black area just looks weird.

Quote Originally Posted by Rylan Storm View Post
    Sorry, you and I seem to have posted at exactly the same time. It's not that I'm worried about it - it's just that the one thing that drew me to Fantasy Grounds over Roll20 was how clean it all looked. Making map window areas larger than they need to be and allowing your players to scroll way into the blackness/greyness for small handouts etc just looks really messy. It's also a case that displaying an image now seems to take 2 or 3 more steps.

It used to be
    1. Click on image.
    2. Share.

Now it's

1. Click on image.
    2. Resize window to a reasonable level.
    3. Zoom to fit.
    4. Adjust the window area a bit more to get rid of the background.
    5. Share
    6. Hope that players don't scroll off into the border area.

Also, in the screenshot I added in the most recent post, the blizzard on the black area just looks weird.
    hmmm, I understand. But actually I think that is a "feature" compared with FGC because zooming and panning got sometimes difficult in FGC, especially when your tokens are moving at the boundary. Now you can scroll over the boundary, and it may look nicer because then your token can still be in the middle Getting rid of such a hard boundary solves such zoom problems etc. as in FGC (for example you can now also zoom out as much as you want, for a "sharper" quality in case the map has not such a high resolution).
    Maybe changing the way how zoom to fit works could be changed (with an automatic adjustment of the window boundary)? The way how it now works, is that it zooms as long as either the vertical or horizontal axis fits the image size, one could try to adjust the code in such a way that also the other axis gets adjusted (changing the window itself), this existed somewhat in FGC So, your suggestion about such a zoom to fit sounds indeed good (but assuming a rectangle for the image, other types of images is different of course)

But the Fx may be indeed something for a report, I think
    Last edited by Kelrugem; September 10th, 2020 at 19:47.

Oh, and for the DM it is necessary to go over the boundary because you can add other assets on the fly (for building maps inside FGU) Would be a bit difficult when you cannot go over the boundary then

FGU handles images differently from FGC. In FGC an image is just an image but in Unity an image could be a single part of a much larger image. If you are using images from modules then they'll work the same as they do in classic - just click the image and share. However if you import an image then FGU doesn't know that all you want is that image. It could be something that you are going to build on and use as part of something else. Even so the procedure is just the same. Click on image and share because no matter what you set it up on in your screen the players can zoom in and out and move it around all they want. So it's pointless trying to resize it so that the background isn't visible.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Blog Entries
    It's one of the architectural changes between FGC and FGU. In FGC images are single files. In FGU an image is a compilation of an unlimited number of files (assets) and therefore the "canvas" is infinitely large.

The color (grey/black) of the canvas is controlled by the ruleset/theme and is the same as the LOS unrevealed color. Something they are considering changing or making configurable in the future.

Not sure what implementing a canvas size would do to limit zoom extents, but I do know FGC behavior was often criticized too.

As always, add suggestions to the Wish List so the community can vote and the devs can track

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Yeah, I can see how the new functionality has influenced this but at the end, when your map is all laid out, a "Crop to Layer" feature would be really useful and make things much cleaner. I think it would also be beneficial to treat maps differently than images for handouts.

As I say, it doesn't look very clean and one of the reasons I picked FG over Roll20 was because it looked clean.

FGU handles images differently from FGC. In FGC an image is just an image but in Unity an image could be a single part of a much larger image. If you are using images from modules then they'll work the same as they do in classic - just click the image and share. However if you import an image then FGU doesn't know that all you want is that image. It could be something that you are going to build on and use as part of something else. Even so the procedure is just the same. Click on image and share because no matter what you set it up on in your screen the players can zoom in and out and move it around all they want. So it's pointless trying to resize it so that the background isn't visible.

Definitely stuff that I will add to the Wish List. It's possibly a show-stopper for me. Trying to decide now.

https://fgapp.idea.informer.com/proj/?ia=136203
    Last edited by Rylan Storm; October 11th, 2022 at 12:29. Reason: Added link

Thread Information