5E Character Create Playlist
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    Blog Entries

Power Description Verbiage to Force Attack and Save "Base" to be Parsed as "Fixed"

Is there verbiage that can be added to a spell or power description (specifically in 5E) so that the parser sets the Attack and/or Save "Base" field to "Fixed". The defaults appear to be "Group Atk +" and "Group DC +" respectively.

A picture might help:
    Untitled.png
    Current Projects:
    Always...
    Community Contributions:
    Extensions: Bardic Inspiration, Druid Wild Shapes, Local Dice Tower, Library Field Filters
    Tutorial Blog Series: "A Neophyte Tackles (coding) the FG Extension".

Blog Entries
    I don't think so.

Is their any WotC spell that does that? If so, it might be something that would get supported sooner rather than later. But if its homebrew or third party... would have to add to the wishlist and wait (probably a long time).

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    Is their any WotC spell that does that? If so, it might be something that would get supported sooner rather than later.
    Kinda. But not really. I am migrating WotC Adventurers League DDAL04-01. There is a hazard in there that acts similar to Alchemist’s Fire. So this is really related more to an improvised weapon issue than an actual spell. Having the “Base” field set to “Fixed” removes the application of the pluses for ability score and proficiency.

(There are plenty of other posts like me whining about the improvised weapon issue - I thought I’d look into yet another way to approach it.)

Thanks for responding LordEntrails
    Current Projects:
    Always...
    Community Contributions:
    Extensions: Bardic Inspiration, Druid Wild Shapes, Local Dice Tower, Library Field Filters
    Tutorial Blog Series: "A Neophyte Tackles (coding) the FG Extension".

Blog Entries
    Hmm, yea.

You've probably already thought of this, but I usually do hazards as NPCs, and then put their things in as actions/attacks. I'm sure you're smart enough to know about that option, so I'm sure it won't work. But I'm not sure what I'm missing. I don't have that module to look at (though kind of funny as I'm converting Moon1-2 to 1-5 for PAX at the moment).

Maybe Mr Z or someone will comment with some other ideas.

Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Blog Entries

**** SPOILER WARNING: DDEX04-01 Suits of the Mists (Adventurers League Season 4, Curse of Strahd)

@LordEntrails I do too, set up hazards as NPCs. Probably wouldn’t have had I not read your excellent creator’s guide. It really helps things go smoothly with everything in one place when running an encounter. With this particular hazard, creative players might use part of the hazard to their advantage, equivalent to Alchemist’s Fire. There is an ongoing per round fire damage for this improvised weapon so I was creating a spell or power that I could drop on the PC(s) that employ it. When it’s parsed it needs to not apply the PC’s ability mod and proficiency bonus to the To Hit and Dmg rolls it set up on the Actions tab.
    Last edited by Minty23185Fresh; September 10th, 2020 at 06:42.

Moved: Putting in 5e forum for more visibility
    Dominic Morta
    Ruleset Developer
    Smiteworks

How to zip up your campaign if the Developers ask for it-How to zip up your campaign if the Developers ask for it

How to provide an Unity Connection issue?-Connection Issues and What to Provide

Unity Updater issue?-Updater Issues

Classic and Unity Port Forwarding?-Fantasy Grounds Connections Explained

Comcast or Cox ISP User?-Comcast XFinity and Cox Users

Have a suggestion?-Feature Request

I'm not exactly sure what you are looking for but if you word things in this way then the save DC is effectively fixed: "The target must make a DC 15 dexterity saving throw".
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Zacchaeus View Post
    I'm not exactly sure what you are looking for but if you word things in this way then the save DC is effectively fixed: "The target must make a DC 15 dexterity saving throw".
    I'm sorry Zacchaeus, threads in these forums certainly get convoluted, sometimes even by the original poster.

To the best of my knowledge, an effect cannot be attached to a weapon, so I am creating a "power" for this improvised weapon because of it's ongoing damage property.

Here is what is happening when I drop my created "power" on to a PC (see screenshot).

In the upper panel is the default behavior of the parser: the verbiage of my power results in an Attack "Base" setting of "Group Atk +". This setting adds a +2 (for proficiency) to the Ranged Attack d20 dice roll.

In the lower panel is the desired behavior: with a different verbiage maybe the parser would assign an Attack "Base" setting of "Fixed", which would result in a Ranged Attack d20 roll without the +2 proficiency bonus.

Untitled.png

Here is the exact verbiage of my power's description: "Make a ranged spell attack against a creature or object, treating the item as an improvised weapon. On a hit, the target takes 1d4 fire damage and additional 1d4 fire damage at the start of each of its turns."

Restating my question from the original post: Does anyone know if there is some verbiage that can be added to the power's description so that I will get the desired parser behavior, which is, a "Fixed" setting in the Attack "Base" field instead of the default setting "Group Atk +"?

Some things that come to mind are:
    • "Make an improvised ranged spell attack against a creature..."
    • "Make an ad-hoc ranged spell attack against a creature..."
    • "Make an in-the-moment ranged spell attack against a creature..."
    • "Make an non-proficient ranged spell attack against a creature..."
    • "Make an fixed roll ranged spell attack against a creature..."

*** Those helpful soles responding to this thread, please note, I am looking for an answer to my question about power verbiage and parser response, not information about how to create an improvised weapon. I have read just about every post in the forums about how to effect an improvised weapon, which by-the-way, all fall short just a bit, requiring the player to tweak this-or-that just a little to make the weapon behave as desired.

Thanks, in advance, for any answers to my question.
    Last edited by Minty23185Fresh; September 10th, 2020 at 16:55.

OK, I think I understand now what you mean.

And I think the answer is no. When you drag something into the actions tab FG expects either a spell or an action and when you create a power group your only options are to set the ability that the power group uses to calculate the save DC and/or attack bonus.

If that isn't going to be the case then you would have to manually change the save DC or attack bonus in the individual effects within the power group to make the save or attack bonus not be auto calculated but rather force it to have the value that you impose.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Blog Entries
    Agree with Mr Z, I don't see a clean way to do this either. Perhaps if you had a power group called Improvised Weapons and added it to that. But that would assume that group already has the attack group set like you want.

Thread Information