STAR TREK 2d20

Player activated abilities

Is it possible to have an edge that can be turned on and off voluntarily by the player (for instance an optional combat modifier with bonuses and penalties that can be turned on and off)? I tried to fake this by adding the effects to the player and using the on/off toggle, but only the GM sees that. Is there a way to turn that on for players? Additionally, once I add those effects, they clog up my CT. Is there a way to collapse the effects list once you have added the effects. It seems I can toggle "show" for the list so long as it is empty and make the one entry line disappear completely, but once I add anything, there is no way to collapse it down so i don't have to see it.

Here are some thoughts:

For attacks, I would set up a sub-attack that contains the needed modifiers and use it when appropriate. You could also set-up a modifier to the attack or damage dice of the routine attack and toggle it on and off as needed (this seems like constant work).

For skills, I would define a new skill that contains the needed modifiers. This works well for Edges like Free Runner where there are situational modifiers to Athletics.

For most other things, I would set up a "phantom" inventory item that contains the needed effect. You would equip or unequip it as needed to apply the effect. This could work for everything, but the attack and skill options are right where the original is for handy use.

Please let us know how you experimentation works out, as it would benefit us all. Happy gaming.

I understand (and have used) options 2 and 3 and the first half of 1. But for 1.5 - You could also set-up a modifier to the attack or damage dice of the routine attack and toggle it on and off as needed (this seems like constant work) - what do you mean by that? I can add a modifier to the weapon, but how would the player toggle that on and off?

The reason I don't like the first part of 1.0 is that it doesn't work if you have multiple options that could be used together. Instead of 3 toggles, you end up with 8 attacks (n toggles vs 2^n attack options).

Quote Originally Posted by ApesAmongUs View Post
    I understand (and have used) options 2 and 3 and the first half of 1. But for 1.5 - You could also set-up a modifier to the attack or damage dice of the routine attack and toggle it on and off as needed (this seems like constant work) - what do you mean by that? I can add a modifier to the weapon, but how would the player toggle that on and off?

The reason I don't like the first part of 1.0 is that it doesn't work if you have multiple options that could be used together. Instead of 3 toggles, you end up with 8 attacks (n toggles vs 2^n attack options).
    When you right click on the attack (but not damage) dice of an attack in the combat tab, you can select the modifiers (+/-) menu. There you can add a named modifier to the dice that has a radio button to turn the modifier on and off. I tend not to use this for short duration things because it takes 2 clicks to get there when you want to change it. It does allow you to stack modifiers and turn each on and off independently though. I assume that the players can see and interact with the radio button, but I can't be sure because I only GM. Option 3 (phantom inventory items) is the only way I know of to impact the damage dice in a way that can be easily toggled without creating many sub-attacks.

Ah, that's what you meant. I was confused by the multiple places they use "Modifiers" to mean different things. Yea, that one works for simple +x. Doesn't cover everything I need, but it's another tool to use.

Yeah, it can get a bit weird/confusing. Let me try to clear it up a bit.

For Fantasy Grounds, mechanically you have Modifiers (Top Right has +/- button) which go into the Modifier box at the bottom left (default location), they are consumed with the next roll and can have a name attached.

You also have Effects (Top Right has a human silhouette button) which are separate they can be added in a number of locations (Hindrances, Edges, Special Abilities, Weapons, Armor, Items, Combat Tracker) and can be coded to automatically apply Modifiers to various rolls, made to last for only the next roll to being permanent, such as resisting Fire Damage, Dim Light conditions, Multi-Actions, Ignoring Dim Light, etc.

Both Players and GM can add Modifiers (go directly to Modifier Box for next roll) and Effects.

As far as extending Power Effects I am not sure about making that Player controlled.
    As far as REMOVING Effects, there is a DnD 5e (maybe in other rulesets as well) that allows an Effect to be coded to remove it. I haven't tried it with Savage Worlds but would guess it needs adjusted at minimum and maybe a major overhaul at worst.
    Ultimate License Holder
    Current Campaign: Necessary Evil
    Current Project: Dawn of Daikaiju: Converting, Deadlands: Reloaded The last Sons - Quality Assurance Checking
    Discord: Mgrancey#4994
    "Mad Science" means never stopping to ask "what's the worst thing that could happen?" -- Maxim 14 of The Seventy Maxims of Maximally Effective Mercenaries
    Adventure: Keep Living Life Like There's No Tomorrow and You'll Eventually Be Right,

The problem with modifiers is they don't do several things that effects can - +die size and extra:trait being 2 big ones. Modifiers are just +number. I was hoping that setting an effect to Instant would make them operate like the lower left modifier and only happen once, but that doesn't seem to do anything. Why effects can't be removed by players makes no sense to me. The UI and functionality exist, but for some reason the ruleset wants me to babysit the players.

The Savage Worlds ruleset has been around far longer than 5e. In fact, it was originally developed by a separate company before being acquired by Smiteworks shortly after they acquired FG itself (I bought both FG and the SW ruleset prior to Smiteworks acquisition and subsequently rebought both). The 5e ruleset has had the benefit of being developed on much newer underlying FG core code and due to being much more popular, has benefitted from a lot of resources being thrown at it to add all the bells and whistles. SW ruleset has always been a community maintained ruleset. Ikael is the best dev we've ever had and has done more with the ruleset in his relatively short time as dev than all the prior devs combines, but he is still working with code that has been patched on top of patch. I don't want to put words into his mouth but I seem to recall seeing other threads in the past where he has noted that the difference in the way something is coded in SW than the core that newer rulesets were built on was the basis for functionality not being on par. While he has been able to implement a lot of functionality found in other rulesets, there may be things that short of starting from scratch and rebuilding SW from the ground up may not be possible and since Ikael is a volunteer and not a Smiteworks employee, he may not have time to devote to such an undertaking. Whether or not this is one of those things I can't say; however, you shouldn't assume that just because functionality exists in another ruleset, it can be easily implemented in the SW ruleset.

Thread Information