Starfinder Playlist

Mixed Network Connection Issues

Hello all,

Below is a basic description of my setup and issues as well as a rundown of what I've tried. I've dug through the forums for a few days and haven't figured this out. I apologize, but I'm not super technically literate so if I make an error along the way I'll try my best to fix it. Thank you so much for any help you can offer.

• GM (PC) and Player 1 (laptop) are both on the same wireless network and connected via internal address
    • Players 2, 3 (both PC's) are on separate networks and connected to host via external address
    • All parties can connect, but Player 1 has serious delays in shared images, rolls, and general communication with GM and other Players
    • When Player 1 leaves the game, all backlogged images, maps, rolls etc appear for the other players
    • Port forwarding is enabled through Windows firewall by following inbound rules>port forwarding>TCP/1802>allow on all networks (Windows 10)
    • Port forwarding is enabled via the router by following router settings>port forwarding>TCP, source port: 1802, destination: any AND source port:any, destination: 1802 (neither seemed to work) (Verizon router + fios)
    • UPnP is enabled on both Windows and the router

TLDR - GM and Player 1 on on same wireless network causing problems for other players. Connections run fine without Player 1.

Thank you. I finally got a good group together and it's killing me not to be able to play with the software I paid for and enjoyed because I live with a player.

It sounds like there is some noise or contention on the wireless network that is caused by the player laptop or by the combination of running the GM PC and player laptop on the same wireless network.

Is there any way that you can run a physical cable to your GM PC? Or do you have a USB network adapter you can try on the laptop while disabling the built-in wireless?

Regards,
    JPG

Unfortunately, I live in an old house so the cord may not be a solution. I'd have to order a monster cable but for FG it would be worth it. What would the USB adapter do for the laptop?
    Now that you mention it, I think the cabled connection did work when paired with the same player on the same network. I'll try the cable and see if that works. Thank you!
    I'll respond with a result if I get one.

Thread Information