STAR TREK 2d20
Page 2 of 2 First 12
    I gave my W.O.I.N. NEW PDF a thorough read, but have decided the rules present just a bit too much crunch for the group I'm currently looking to run a campaign for. And TBH I couldn't help but get the impression that it needs a rewrite - whether that be a subversion or a 2nd edition I can't say. I did really like the core play mechanics and could see myself running a campaign in its current state, but only for a group of players with some solid P'n'P experience under their belts.

Quote Originally Posted by kronovan View Post
    I gave my W.O.I.N. NEW PDF a thorough read, but have decided the rules present just a bit too much crunch for the group I'm currently looking to run a campaign for. And TBH I couldn't help but get the impression that it needs a rewrite - whether that be a subversion or a 2nd edition I can't say. I did really like the core play mechanics and could see myself running a campaign in its current state, but only for a group of players with some solid P'n'P experience under their belts.
    What sort of era/setting are you looking at? Modern, Near Future, Space, Something else? There might be other rulesets that fit your needs.

Quote Originally Posted by esmdev View Post
    What sort of era/setting are you looking at? Modern, Near Future, Space, Something else? There might be other rulesets that fit your needs.
    Thanks for taking an interest emsdev. Your responded to my post in the Travellers forum which presented the details of my campaign, so those would be the same for the campaign I mentioned above.

I've considered all of these FG rulesets for my campaign:

- Basic RolePlaying
    - D20 Modern
    - Savage Worlds + SciFi Companion
    - Starfinder
    - Travellers
    - W.O.I.N. New

I have 8 points of requirements for what the ruleset must meet. So far I've stricken every ruleset off that list except for Savage Worlds and Travellers.
    Last edited by kronovan; September 8th, 2020 at 17:08.

Blog Entries
    So I've never played Traveler (though I do have the black/red 1e? box in my closet). And never any sci-fi Savage Worlds, so others can give you better opinions on those rulesets. But, my impression from the little I've done is that SW is going to be more cinematic or 'opera' in feel and play. Things are going to be fast, story is utmost, and rules are going to be light. While Traveler is going to be crunchy and hard sci-fi.

The setting I always have loved is Star Frontiers. But the rules are... old and full of holes. So last week I picked up the FrontierSpace rules and have read the player and some of the referee rules. I like them. They are pretty light and quick. Focusing on broad categories using the d00 lite system. So no classes or levels and general d100 ability checks with modifiers. Plus the additional of an interesting advantage/disadvantage mechanic I'm eager to see in practice.

BUT, all the published FS stuff I've seen is all higher tech than you are looking for. So you would have to adapt or create a lot of the tech items which can be time consuming Also, their is no FG ruleset for it. But it should be easy to do with CoreRPG or MoreCore. Which is my working plan for now as I plan to run a SF campaign using FS rules in the next year or two.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Thanks for the feedback and suggestions LordEntrails. One of the 8 points of my selection criteria was that the RPG has to be a ruleset with official Fantasy Grounds support; hence my narrowing it to those 6. I'm quite savvy with Savage Worlds, having been a writer for one of the SciFi settings available for it and having homebrewed my own settings with the rules.You're correct about the cinematic bent to it (wouldn't necessarily call it operatic though), which can be a plus if you have a few players new to P'n'Ps in your campaign - which I do. My campaign is Military SciFi with a gritty feel to it, where combat encounters pose a real threat and risk. I can employ features in the SciFi Companion, enable the gritty damage option and enable specializations for some of the SW skills. Due to SW being a P'n'P where a +2 bonus is a BIG deal though, I've found from experience that the latter has to be done with careful consideration.

Those elements to the setting I listed above, is why I've been considering other rulesets. Of the 6 I shortlisted, Starfinder and W.O.I.N. are the only ones I haven't played or GMd. I made a post on a popular RPG site soliciting feedback for which of those 6 rulesets would work best suit my campaign, but I only got positive feedback for Savage Worlds and Travellers. There's no doubt a reason for that.

Quote Originally Posted by kronovan View Post
    Thanks for taking an interest emsdev. Your responded to my post in the Travellers forum which presented the details of my campaign, so those would be the same for the campaign I mentioned above.

I've considered all of these FG rulesets for my campaign:

- Basic RolePlaying
    - D20 Modern
    - Savage Worlds + SciFi Companion
    - Starfinder
    - Travellers
    - W.O.I.N. New

I have 8 points of requirements for what the ruleset must meet. So far I've stricken every ruleset off that list except for Savage Worlds and Travellers.
    My experience is that the Basic RolePlaying isn't in great shape, despite a recent update, and doesn't currently have a full-time developer, though ruleset bug fixes are fixed new features aren't being added (unless they find a full-time developer).

D20 Modern doesn't have a full time developer and the ruleset is a bit behind the times. It does include the D20 Future SRD information as well.

Savage Worlds (SWADE) and + SciFi work great and there is a full-time community developer. I used it briefly to run East Texas University but am not super familiar with it beyond that. I did think about running a Last Parsec campaign and bought the sci-fi companion to facilitate that, it worked well enough but never actually ran the game.

I don't have experience with Starfinder but it appears to have quite a bit of support with a full-time community developer. It has a fully operational starship combat system.

Traveller, I am very familiar with, has a full-time community developer with modules and supplements coming out fairly regularly of late. It's combat system is currently in open beta for anyone that owns the ruleset, and the starship construction system is currently in internal testing. MGT2 is being developed full-time, MGT1 is stalled because Mongoose want the focus on MGT2.

Quote Originally Posted by esmdev View Post
    My experience is that the Basic RolePlaying isn't in great shape, despite a recent update, and doesn't currently have a full-time developer, though ruleset bug fixes are fixed new features aren't being added (unless they find a full-time developer).

D20 Modern doesn't have a full time developer and the ruleset is a bit behind the times. It does include the D20 Future SRD information as well.
    This was one of the points for my requirement criteria:
    "4.) Must have an affordable and properly formatted core rule book available in PDF format. By properly formatted, I mean a true text-based layout with proper layers, so players can effectively view it on Android, iPad or Win-Surface tablets. And also important, allow the GM to copy and paste from it."

That immediately eliminated D20 Modern, because believe it or not, the PDF that Wizards of the Coasts offers for sale is only an image scan of the original CRB! As well, with no bookmarks and bare bones formatting at best, Chaosium's Basic RolePlaying gold book barely meets that requirement either. That they still sell that PDF for $22 makes it even worse IMO. I like to encourage my players to become proficient in the rules. A quality PDF that's affordable is important, as it encourage them to buy their own copy and learn the rules on their own time.

Point 2 was:
    "2.) Must be known as effective rules for running Military SciFi and have existing support for that."

That did eliminate Basic Roleplaying, because despite having some good SciFi support decades ago, it's since dried up with bare minimal offerings now at most.

I don't have experience with Starfinder but it appears to have quite a bit of support with a full-time community developer. It has a fully operational starship combat system.
    This was another point in my criteria
    "7.) Must have a damage system that presents real challenges to PCs. "

With Stamina Points that buffer Hit Points and a 3rd set of Resilience Points that can regen SPs, Starfinder didn't seem to present much of a challenge for a PC staying in the action during combat scenes.

A bigger knock against it though was this requirement point:
    6.) Must be able to run without the need for classes."

From what I can read in the SF CRB, it's firmly tied to the Fantasy-SciFi genre. It does look like a decent set of rules to play a D&D in Space or current gen Spelljammer-like campaign, but I for one wouldn't want to take on the task of tweaking it to support the Military SciFi genre. As well, there doesn't seem to be anyway to hand crank it away from the classes it's tightly wound to.

Traveller, I am very familiar with, has a full-time community developer with modules and supplements coming out fairly regularly of late. It's combat system is currently in open beta for anyone that owns the ruleset, and the starship construction system is currently in internal testing. MGT2 is being developed full-time, MGT1 is stalled because Mongoose want the focus on MGT2.
    Yep, which is a bit of a problem for me as I've now been lent the Orbital Campaign Setting and Traveller 2300AD book, but they're both based on the MGT 1e rules. Those are important for me, because my campaign is prestellar Tech Level 9 and those books provide more content for that era. It may still work with a bit of lifting and more importantly, me becoming familiar enough with the MGT 2e CRB and High Guard to know if it's adaptable. There's certainly no doubt that it's an excellent set of rules for running Military SciFi campaigns.
    Last edited by kronovan; September 9th, 2020 at 02:14.

Since this was more of a Traveller answer, I answered in your other thread in the Traveller board, where the 2300AD players mostly lurk.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...l=1#post540413

Thread Information