FG Spreadshirt Swag
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

How to force a save throw on being hit?

Hello all,

I'm trying to write a poison or spell (In the Spell/Ability effect) that will force a saving throw after being hit and if possible remove said effect (long shot). I've used Wounded and Hit but doesn't seem to trigger it. Any help would be accepted. I'm also using https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/...ects#Reference as reference. Thanks in advance
    Last edited by Peanakka; September 3rd, 2020 at 02:19.

After much reading and trial attempts there would seem to be no way to automate a save throw on a creature who is under the effect like charm to auto roll a save. Only the 'caster' who threw out the charm is automated with a save once damaged.

Blog Entries
    That's my understanding as well. There might be some folks who have come up with something creative, but not that I'm aware of.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

What about putting a (C) on the cast effect? That would put a concentration check on the person with the effect. It is something not exactly what you want.
    Last edited by Granamere; September 3rd, 2020 at 23:06.
    If you want a Wishlist in the Fantasy grounds store klick the link and upvote it.
    https://fgapp.idea.informer.com/proj/fgapp?ia=135468

Indeed, I tried that as well (the (C) is enforced by the caster, not the target). That did give me a few extra ideas but no outcome. It would be nice to impose a save DC when you hit someone that's charmed but when I think about it (coding wise) it can get real finicky. Maybe an extension will be made

I was thinking more of inside of the effects. like this. I have been testing it out and it does not seem to work. Still playing with it. If I figure something out I will let you know.
    example.jpg
    If you want a Wishlist in the Fantasy grounds store klick the link and upvote it.
    https://fgapp.idea.informer.com/proj/fgapp?ia=135468

I'm pretty sure it'll need to be hard built into the code. I even tried to copy monsters abilities/spells (like the mindflayers dominate person/monster) and it still doesn't autoroll save on the person who's 'charmed'. Maybe in a future version or full unity. Thanks for helping and helping me think outside the box.

I think the point of non-auto rolling it is simply because there can be other ways on your turn to get rid of the effect. My Monday Night game, I (the wizard) and the Barbarian were caught in an AoE from a Void Dragon that restrained us. I just Misty Stepped out of the AoE and the effect was gone. Considering there are almost always secondary ways to remove an effect, auto-rolling could hurt some of those. Also, there's also abilities/spells that are reactions, I've made one that says "when you are forced to make a recurring save" which isn't coded in, so it wouldn't work if auto-roll was a thing.

There's also a thing of just dropping the initial save on the person every time it's triggered, and modifying accordingly.

(3 years later....) Better Combat Effects Gold includes the SAVEONDMG: XX CHA (R) syntax, where XX is the DC and CHA is the characteristic (not necessarily Charisma ) and (R) means remove on successful save.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ColoradoGM View Post
    (3 years later....) Better Combat Effects Gold includes the SAVEONDMG: XX CHA (R) syntax, where XX is the DC and CHA is the characteristic (not necessarily Charisma ) and (R) means remove on successful save.
    Actually, I'm glad you necro'ed this. I'm seriously thinking about getting Better Combat Effects Gold and this help influence that decision.
    FG:Unity Ultimate License Holder: Meaning anyone can join my games, even those with just the Demo . . .
    Timezone: UTC-6/CST (My 'Current' Local Time)
    Currently Running: An Old-School Essentials campaign, set in Hârn . . . Here is the discord channel -> Hârnic OSE.
    Current Design Project: Developing a stand-alone "Hârnic 5e" setting for OSE and Fifth Edition . . .

Thread Information