STAR TREK 2d20
Page 67 of 109 First ... 1757656667686977 ... Last

@damned In your RW builds so far, I see how you create weapons, armor and other items in FGU (as opposed to scripted in RW) and then drag them onto the CS. It is my understanding they are not permanent items in the ruleset, correct? (The item card format is permanent, but each individual item is not and has to be created once a new campaign is opened.)
    So if you were to open a new campaign with the ruleset you have built, the GM would have to build those items for the players to then drag onto their sheets when they generate characters.
    Is that not the case or am I missing something? I would like to use drag and drop items, I'm just trying to figure out how much work I am potentially asking a GM to do each time they open a new campaign.

Quote Originally Posted by damned View Post
    Did you create a Ruleset AND an Extension and then load them both?
    Just a ruleset, as far as I know, but there was an Extension.xml created at some point. Just no idea where it came from...
    Should I be creating an extension separately, and if so, what exactly would I be putting in that?

Blog Entries
    The only reason an extension.xml is created is if you set it to create an extension.xml
    If you need an extension then load it - but you are building a ruleset - it should just be a ruleset.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by greybeardgunner70 View Post
    @damned In your RW builds so far, I see how you create weapons, armor and other items in FGU (as opposed to scripted in RW) and then drag them onto the CS. It is my understanding they are not permanent items in the ruleset, correct? (The item card format is permanent, but each individual item is not and has to be created once a new campaign is opened.)
    So if you were to open a new campaign with the ruleset you have built, the GM would have to build those items for the players to then drag onto their sheets when they generate characters.
    Is that not the case or am I missing something? I would like to use drag and drop items, I'm just trying to figure out how much work I am potentially asking a GM to do each time they open a new campaign.
    Well this comes back to your questions regarding Copyright.
    You cant protect mechanics and you cant protect stuff that is not your own.
    You cant protect a Bastard Sword but you could protect Scaramons Blade.

If you create an entry on a Character Sheet it only exists on the character sheet.
    If you create an entry in a Campaign Tool it exists in the campaign and can be shared and dragged to other sheets.
    Ultimately you want to export it to a Player Module so that you can share the Module and all items in that module will be shared/accessible.

You can script the creation of these items.

If you look at the 4E ruleset it has all the framework and no content.
    Thats what most community rulesets look like.
    If you look at the Star Wars (the Genesys/FFG version) they have created modules that have names and stats but no fluff text - all the descriptions say see Book X page Y).
    Ultimately the best solution is - do an awesome job, contact the publisher, get a license to convert it to FG and earn some commission. If you go this route there is more info you should know.

OK, got it. I'll set up the item lists on the CS and go the module route. Hadn't thought of that.

I do have another tech/script question. In HM armor is by location and it is stackable/layered. So, for example, a knight might wear a quilted cap against his skull, with a mail cowl and a plate helm over that. So if the cap has a PF of 1, the cowl of 2 and the helm a PF of 3, that would equal a total of 6 PF for the skull. But each of those pieces of armor would be listed separately in the inventory. I know how to create a box on the CS to capture the PF for one item (say the cap), that's pretty easy (nquiltcapPF to nskull). How do I script for nskull to increase as more items with PF for the skull are added to the inventory? Do you have an example of that in one of your tutorial builds?

Blog Entries
    Its coding so there are many, many ways to do something.
    You could have a windowlist for each body part.
    What I would probably do - without having given this a whole lot of thought - is in each Armor items properties list each body part and a number field

Helmet
    Head [3]
    Chest [0]
    Left Arm [0]
    Right Arm [0]
    Groin [0]
    Left Leg [0]
    Right Leg [0]

Chain Mail
    Head [0]
    Chest [2]
    Left Arm [2]
    Right Arm [2]
    Groin [2]
    Left Leg [0]
    Right Leg [0]

etc
    Then when you Equip an item run a script that cycles through all equipped items and sums all Head, Chest, Left Arm, etc and then does a setValue() on the Body Part.

A little complex? Yes. Have fun!

Blog Entries
    a really, really rough code to point you in the right direction (hopefully)

Code:
    	local nodeChar = window.getDatabaseNode();
    	local nodeInventory = nodeChar.getChild("inventorylist");

local nHeadAC = 0;
    	local nChestAC = 0;
    	local nLeftArmAC = 0;
    	local nRightArmAC = 0;
    	local nGroinAC = 0;
    	local nLeftLegAC = 0;
    	local nRightLegAC = 0;

for k,v in pairs (nodeInventory.getChildren())
    		do if v.getChild("equipped").getValue() == 1 then
    			nHeadAC = nHeadAC+v.getChild("head").getValue()
    			nChestAC = nChestAC+v.getChild("chest").getValue()
    			...etc
    			Debug.chat(v.getChild("name").getValue(),nHead,nChest,etc);

end
    		nodeChar.getChild("achead").setValue(nHeadAC);
    		nodeChar.getChild("acchest").setValue(nChestAC);
    		etc

end
    code is completely untested.
    its just a suggestion on how I would do it.

Thanks, I'll give it a shot!

Quote Originally Posted by damned View Post
    The only reason an extension.xml is created is if you set it to create an extension.xml
    If you need an extension then load it - but you are building a ruleset - it should just be a ruleset.
    I don't see anything under project properties that would create an extension. I built this one entirely in Ruleset Wizards, so I don't know what's going on there.
    However, since I renamed the file, I haven't been getting the error, so I guess it was interfering and I don't need it.

Thread Information