DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 65 of 109 First ... 1555636465666775 ... Last

Quote Originally Posted by damned View Post
    There are 6 different lists so there are going to be different scripts for each list
    If you look at the Low Fantasy Gaming extension - same concept - but it adds more data.
    You will need to know the ids of the skills and then send that as a property - the same way the other data is being sent in these examples.
    Alternatively you can create the content via a Lua script and do the same process.

It will take me a long time to go thru the examples myself and show you step by step.
    If you are going down this route you will need to learn from the examples provided.
    Where can I find LFG extension? I can't find it on any of your morecore threads or the forge.

greybeardgunner70 it is true that sometimes what we perceive as small things can sometimes take a lot of effort.
    On the scripts in those Gumshoe extensions there are also some scripts that filter out (dont display) skills that have not had any skill points spent on them.
    Dont let those parts distract you.
    Another thought I had pertaining to skill descriptions. Copyright laws? Harnmaster is not open source. I can certainly make a CS with most of the functionality required (just as I could build a pdf or excel spreadsheet CS), but copying data from the rulebook (like skill descriptions) and inserting it into the FGU ruleset could be a violation, correct?

Blog Entries
    For sure it looks feasible.
    What is the error message you get? The error almost always tells you where to start looking.
    It will tell you the filename (script) or control name (inline script) and the line number. Often the line number reported is the one after the error (depending on the error).

Put so many Debugs in your code that you worry you might run out of them.
    After every line where you declare or set a variable do a Debug so you can sanity check that it is doing what you want
    split that second line of code into two

local nSkillScore = tonumber(rRoll.SkillScore)-nPP;

>>

local nSkillScore = tonumber(rRoll.SkillScore);
    local nSkillScore = nSkillScore-nPP;

but better yet - fill it with debug

Code:
    function Skill(rSource, rTarget, rRoll)

Debug.chat("rSource: ", rSource);
    Debug.chat("rTarget: ", rTarget);
    Debug.chat("rRoll: ", rRoll);

local nPP = DB.getValue(nodeWin,"total_phys_roll_pen",0);
    Debug.chat("nPP : ", nPP);

Debug.chat("nSkillScore : ", nSkillScore );

local nSkillScore = nSkillScore -nPP;

local nResult = rRoll.aDice[1].result;
    Debug.chat("nResult : ", nResult );

local sResult = '';
    Debug.chat("sResult: ", sResult);

if nResult > nSkillScore then

if nResult % 5 == 0 then
    sResult = ' = Critical Failure (' .. nResult .. " vs " .. nSkillScore .. ")";
    else
    sResult = ' = Marginal Failure (' .. nResult .. " vs " .. nSkillScore .. ")";
    end
    else
    if nResult % 5 == 0 then
    sResult = ' = Critical Success (' .. nResult .. " vs " .. nSkillScore .. ")";
    else
    sResult = ' = Marginal Success (' .. nResult .. " vs " .. nSkillScore .. ")";
    end
    end

local rMessage = ActionsManager.createActionMessage(rSource, rRoll);

rMessage.text = rMessage.text .. sResult;
    Comm.deliverChatMessage(rMessage);

return true
    end
    If you do this you will straight away see the error

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by greybeardgunner70 View Post
    Another thought I had pertaining to skill descriptions. Copyright laws? Harnmaster is not open source. I can certainly make a CS with most of the functionality required (just as I could build a pdf or excel spreadsheet CS), but copying data from the rulebook (like skill descriptions) and inserting it into the FGU ruleset could be a violation, correct?
    yes and no.
    How much data is there in the skill descriptions?

For example this is from a game Im working on.

Strength represents physical power and ability to lift and damage things through raw physical force. You can add your Strength bonus to attack and damage rolls when fighting unarmed or using melee weapons.

Including that (for each of the attributes) would not be a copyright violation. There is no product identity. There are no trademarked terms used. Strength and its description is very generic. It is also describing mechanics (rules) which are not protectable.

If it were describing Light Sabres - a product unique to Star Wars it would be a lot less clear cut. If it included a full page of descriptions it would much more likely be an infringment.

Horse Riding, Lockpicking, Stealth etc etc are very generic skills as are there descriptions. You could probably find descriptions that HM have used that are very similar to what someone else has also used.

For sure it looks feasible.
    What is the error message you get? The error almost always tells you where to start looking.
    It will tell you the filename (script) or control name (inline script) and the line number. Often the line number reported is the one after the error (depending on the error).

Put so many Debugs in your code that you worry you might run out of them.
    After every line where you declare or set a variable do a Debug so you can sanity check that it is doing what you want
    split that second line of code into two

local nSkillScore = tonumber(rRoll.SkillScore)-nPP;

>>

local nSkillScore = nSkillScore-nPP;

but better yet - fill it with debug

If you do this you will straight away see the error
    Thanks! This has been helpful.

However, the function isnt reading nPP. The Roll Description Text works (EML Test Result For Acrobatics {acrobatics_eml} - {total_phys_roll_pen} PP), hence the -20 in the chat result, but the function isnt grabbing it. (The final SkillScore should be 50, 70-20.)
    Could the node be wrong? nPP is on charsheet_notes, while the roll is on charsheet_abilities. Though that doesn't effect the Roll Description.

chatroll.PNG
    Last edited by greybeardgunner70; December 26th, 2021 at 09:45.

yes and no.
    How much data is there in the skill descriptions?

For example this is from a game Im working on.

Strength represents physical power and ability to lift and damage things through raw physical force. You can add your Strength bonus to attack and damage rolls when fighting unarmed or using melee weapons.

Including that (for each of the attributes) would not be a copyright violation. There is no product identity. There are no trademarked terms used. Strength and its description is very generic. It is also describing mechanics (rules) which are not protectable.

If it were describing Light Sabres - a product unique to Star Wars it would be a lot less clear cut. If it included a full page of descriptions it would much more likely be an infringment.

Horse Riding, Lockpicking, Stealth etc etc are very generic skills as are there descriptions. You could probably find descriptions that HM have used that are very similar to what someone else has also used.
    Thanks for the clarification. I noticed you included rulebook modules for LFG. I have created the same for HarnMaster (but have only used them in my personal campaigns). I'm guessing you did that and published the modules because the rules are open source?

Blog Entries
    Thanks! This has been helpful.

However, the function isnt reading nPP. The Roll Description Text works (EML Test Result For Acrobatics {acrobatics_eml} - {total_phys_roll_pen} PP), hence the -20 in the chat result, but the function isnt grabbing it. (The final SkillScore should be 50, 70-20.)
    Could the node be wrong? nPP is on charsheet_notes, while the roll is on charsheet_abilities. Though that doesn't effect the Roll Description.

chatroll.PNG
    If your code is exactly as you described to me, exactly as I posted, then its not working because... what is the first debug output that doesnt match your expectations? Drill deeper into that line... why is that line not giving me the result I expect? You arent getting an error because the code you used does something special.

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the clarification. I noticed you included rulebook modules for LFG. I have created the same for HarnMaster (but have only used them in my personal campaigns). I'm guessing you did that and published the modules because the rules are open source?
    LFG was a special case.
    The publisher asked me to make a character sheet for him (for a fee). I made a fully functioning extension instead that had fully automated character sheets, full NPC sheets and functioning combat.
    As LFG has a free version I asked him for permission to convert it to go with the extension to which he agreed. Several other community members jumped in and helped me with the rulebook conversion. Then I also did a couple of the free adventures.

Free does not mean Open Source. It also doesnt mean you can reproduce - it is still copy protected. Publishers of free material are often happy to let you transform them to another format if you ask them first.

That doesnt apply in your situation.
    But also you cant play Harn Master with your ruleset without also owning the rule books - even if the skills are populated.
    It is my opinion that you could safely fill put the skills.
    If the publisher disagrees they will usually just ask you to remove the content.

If your code is exactly as you described to me, exactly as I posted, then its not working because... what is the first debug output that doesnt match your expectations? Drill deeper into that line... why is that line not giving me the result I expect? You arent getting an error because the code you used does something special.
    The debug is clearly showing that the function isnt grabbing nPP (total_phys_roll_pen). But I can't figure out whats wrong with the code.

local nPP = DB.getValue(nodeWin,"total_phys_roll_pen",0);
    Debug.chat("nPP : ", nPP);

local nSkillScore = nSkillScore -nPP;

Thread Information