DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 63 of 109 First ... 1353616263646573 ... Last
    ummm.... no, I disagree. I already have that in my code, and while that might tell me what shows up, it doesn't tell me any of the underlying semantics. That's not 'documentation', as it were.

edit: Although, I don't disagree that "Debug.chat(rSource,rTarget,rRoll)" is my friend. It is!
    Last edited by swest; December 20th, 2021 at 23:48.

Blog Entries
    Unfortunately you are going to have to learn lots of these things by yourself as you go.
    As mater Harp says Debug.chat is your friend.

Blog Entries
    I cant teach you everything you need to know.

1. I dont know everything
    2. I dont know what you need to know
    3. You dont know what you need to know
    4. Many things are documented only to a point
    5. Many things are not from the Wizard - they are from the CoreRPG ruleset

Just keep plugging away at things
    If you want to make some doco to share that would be great

Yes, I get that... but, to carry this to the next logical step: I don't know what you (or others) don't know.

So, I ask a question. If no one knows, then so be it.

Blog Entries
    rRoll, rTarget and rSource are all from CoreRPG. Its possible that the RW is doing things with them that CoreRPG isnt but they are not really RW things. RW is just using them.

Please dont take this as defending something -

Both Ruleset Wizard and Fantasy Grounds could have better documentation but I dont even know what better looks like. How far do you expand the doco? The doco states what things do but not really how to use them. That would be great - but all of us tend to use things differently. I find its useful to get somewhat familiar with as many unlocked rulesets as you can - not familiar under the hood (that comes later), familiar with their interfaces. Then in your project when you need to achieve something think about how something similar was achieved in a ruleset youve used and then get into the code and use that as an example or guide.

That is probably an unsatisfying response but it is the reality of what we have.

I have stolen (learnt) lots of things from other rulesets and while I am no where near as competent as the authors of those rulesets I have also made some pretty cool things by expanding on ideas gleaned from other examples.

Keep toiling. You will always be learning new stuff!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by swest View Post
    Yes, I get that... but, to carry this to the next logical step: I don't know what you (or others) don't know.

So, I ask a question. If no one knows, then so be it.
    Have you unanswered questions?

Quote Originally Posted by swest View Post
    ummm.... no, I disagree. I already have that in my code, and while that might tell me what shows up, it doesn't tell me any of the underlying semantics. That's not 'documentation', as it were.

edit: Although, I don't disagree that "Debug.chat(rSource,rTarget,rRoll)" is my friend. It is!
    I have some additional debugging methods that you can use to get at the internals (somewhat) but often they require an alternative LUA dll to get at _G, and to get at the metatables. If you want the dll you can pm me.

Jason
    Last edited by jharp; December 21st, 2021 at 05:34.

Quote Originally Posted by jharp View Post
    I have some additional debugging methods that you can use to get at the internals (somewhat) but often they require an alternative LUA dll to get at _G, and to get at the metatables. If you want the dll you can pm me.

Jason
    Ok, thanks. I'll continue to see what I can learn (infer) from these higher-level debug techniques and get back to you if it's not working out.

Cheers!

as Damned said, those variables contain arbitrary structures that depend on the ruleset, and the documentation about them is scarce.

In the CoreRPG manager_actions.lua file there is a definition of the basic rRoll structure:

-- ROLL
    .sType
    .sDesc
    .aDice
    .nMod
    (Any other fields added as string -> string map, if possible)

rSource and rTarget are usually structures of type rActor, which is defined in the file manager_actor.lua:

-- rActor
    sType
    sCreatureNode
    sCTNode
    sName

but you might find a function that receives an array of these structures instead of the individual structure, so in practice we developers have become accustomed to debugging to find out exactly what type of structure and what fields our function is receiving, and go from there.
    Ruleset Wizard
    The Ruleset Development Environment
    www.rulesetwizard.com
    Ruleset Wizard Tutorials
    Damned's Ruleset Wizard Tutorials

That's what I was looking for. Very helpful. Thanks!

Thread Information