5E Character Create Playlist
Page 22 of 23 First ... 1220212223 Last
    Create new Pathfinder 2e campaign. Enable Theogeek's Improved Critical. Get error on load.

[5/29/2023 4:42:31 PM] [ERROR] Script execution error: [string "..ek-ImprovedCritical:..mprovedCritical.lua"]:441: attempt to index global 'ActionDamage' (a nil value)

It does show up in the chat window as 8.4.2

Thanks for the report! I'll get on it!

UPDATE:

I was able to create a new PF2 campaign with only that extension and continue an already created PF2 campaign with multiple other extensions with no error on startup and it functioned as expected on a critical hit.

What other extensions are you running with (it looks like one of them is redefining ActionDamage in a way that others don't which is causing it to not be defined when my extension runs.)
    Last edited by TheoGeek; May 30th, 2023 at 01:10.

Was a corrupt ruleset pak on my side. Deleted, updated and all good now. Thanks for the quick response!

Hi there! Using the PF2e ruleset and just added a Rogue with a Deadly weapon. Instead of using the GM optional "alternate" method of calculating critical hits (which is better for single-target and lower level use), I'm wanting to use the "default" method of doubling the results. The Improved Initiative extension achieves this, and properly doubles Sneak Attack damage, but seems to be doubling extra damage from things like the Deadly weapon trait, and that damage shouldn't get doubled. I'm not sure about the Fatal trait, but I believe that works the same way, and applies after damage/dice are doubled. "Benefits you gain specifically from a critical hit" (CRB p.451) is what distinguishes which dice get doubled.

Thanks!

Thanks for the report!

I might not be able to get to this this weekend, but I'll check into it...also, PF2e isn't a strong suit of mine so I may need help interpreting the rules. This sounds like a special case thing that is an effect, but applies differently than other effects?

Sure thing, thanks for looking into it. Here's the relevant text from the PF2e CRB:

Doubling and Halving Damage
    Source Core Rulebook pg. 451 4.0
    Sometimes you’ll need to halve or double an amount of damage, such as when the outcome of your Strike is a critical hit, or when you succeed at a basic Reflex save against a spell. When this happens, you roll the damage normally, adding all the normal modifiers, bonuses, and penalties. Then you double or halve the amount as appropriate (rounding down if you halved it). The GM might allow you to roll the dice twice and double the modifiers, bonuses, and penalties instead of doubling the entire result, but this usually works best for single-target attacks or spells at low levels when you have a small number of damage dice to roll. Benefits you gain specifically from a critical hit, like the flaming weapon rune’s persistent fire damage or the extra damage die from the fatal weapon trait, aren’t doubled.

IMO, FGU should work this default way right out of the box. But yes, damage dice from things like Deadly and Fatal weapon traits should be rolled after crit damage is doubled, so those extra dice do not get doubled, while other dice like from Sneak Attack do.

Let me know if this makes sense I'm happy to help figure this out however I can.

Sorry it's taking me so long to get back to this!

So, PF2 distinguishes between weapon traits and effects? How are those weapon traits accounted for in "standard" PF2 rules with no extensions?

Sorry...unfamiliar with PF2 rulesets...

If you could give me an example of a couple of different weapons that would be "deadly" on a character with Sneak Attack, that would help!

Thanks!

So for the Deadly trait as an example, see here for rules and a list of ALL weapons with that trait: https://2e.aonprd.com/Traits.aspx?ID=174

A very common weapon here would be the rapier. So a Rogue with a rapier, getting sneak attack, on a critical hit, would roll 1d6 for the rapier, 1d6 for sneak attack, and add ability score bonus. This sum gets doubled. THEN, another 1d6 is rolled for Deadly, and added.

So if they rolled a 3 on the rapier, 4 on sneak attack, and have a +5 DEX bonus, that'd be 12, which is doubled to 24. Then a roll of 6 for Deadly, which isn't included in the doubling, bumps that up to 30 total damage.

I hope this is helpful, but unfortunately I ultimately decided to migrate over to Foundry, which is much more out-of-the-box compatible with the base, default mechanics in PF2e.

FantasyGrounds recently updated Pathfinder 2 ruleset that will likely need a small extension update.

The new Pathfinder 2E Remaster ruleset is now the base PFRPG2 ruleset.
    The pre-remaster ruleset is now named PFRPG2-Legacy. Would it be possible to update the extension to also include the PFRPG2-Legacy ruleset so we can continue using it if we don't upgrade to Remaster yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Mysteran View Post
    FantasyGrounds recently updated Pathfinder 2 ruleset that will likely need a small extension update.

The new Pathfinder 2E Remaster ruleset is now the base PFRPG2 ruleset.
    The pre-remaster ruleset is now named PFRPG2-Legacy. Would it be possible to update the extension to also include the PFRPG2-Legacy ruleset so we can continue using it if we don't upgrade to Remaster yet?
    Thanks for the heads up!

I may not get to this till Saturday, but I'll try!

Thread Information