5E Product Walkthrough Playlist
Page 13 of 24 First ... 3111213141523 ... Last
    Quote Originally Posted by EisenF View Post
    Thanks for the quick fix on the DMGO: issue!

I believe I found another small bug: when I set the effect [IMMUNE: critical] to expire on the next action/roll, the immunity is not actually applied, even though the effect goes away.
    All screenshot were made on a fresh campaign with just this extension loaded.
    Confirmed...

It actually does this on every "Expend" option except Never.

The extra Crit die is rolled, but the first die is not maximized after the effect drops. This only appears to happen on the first crit OR damage following the (IMMUNE: critical) expiring.

Every crit after taking any kind of damage (critical or not) seems to work normally.

My settings are
    ImprovedCritSettings.PNG
    Last edited by ShadowedHand; January 5th, 2022 at 06:59.

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowedHand View Post
    Confirmed...

It actually does this on every "Expend" option except Never.

The extra Crit die is rolled, but the first die is not maximized after the effect drops. This only appears to happen on the first crit OR damage following the (IMMUNE: critical) expiring.

Every crit after taking any kind of damage (critical or not) seems to work normally.

My settings are
    ImprovedCritSettings.PNG
    Call me ignorant, but how do you set up that effect to expire on the target when it is hit? Is there another extension that does this? Thanks!

One question before I start - if the immunity is set to expire on the next action, it will expire before damage is applied, right? Given the output, it looks like the effect expires before damage is computed. If that is the case, it is behaving as expected, right?

i.e.:

1) Target is crit immune set to expire on the next action.
    2) Action is applied to target so effect expires.
    3) Target is no longer crit immune
    4) Crit damage applies as it would against a normal target.

It all depends on when the effect expires. The only thing my extension does is see if the target is crit immune before it computes damage. If the damage processing occurs after the effect expires, it won't know that the target used to be crit immune.

How does this work without my extension loaded, I'm curious. The core ruleset code checks for crit immunity in the damage processing so it looks like even without my extension loaded, it would behave like this.

Another thing to try would be to ignore the critical hit altogether and have an effect on the target like "IMMUNE:fire" that expires in the same way. Then have the target get attacked by a weapon that does fire damage and see if the fire damage is applied. This will bypass my extension altogether.
    Last edited by TheoGeek; January 5th, 2022 at 14:43.

Quote Originally Posted by TheoGeek View Post
    Call me ignorant, but how do you set up that effect to expire on the target when it is hit? Is there another extension that does this? Thanks!
    On base FG this behavior works as expected, effects don't just expire on attack rolls, they can expire on multiple types of rolls.
    The way this one specifically works is because FG keeps track that the attack was a critical roll, so it's setting the next damage roll to be a crit (and roll double the amount of dice)

Quote Originally Posted by TheoGeek View Post
    One question before I start - if the immunity is set to expire on the next action, it will expire before damage is applied, right? Given the output, it looks like the effect expires before damage is computed. If that is the case, it is behaving as expected, right?

i.e.:

1) Target is crit immune set to expire on the next action.
    2) Action is applied to target so effect expires.
    3) Target is no longer crit immune
    4) Crit damage applies as it would against a normal target.

It all depends on when the effect expires. The only thing my extension does is see if the target is crit immune before it computes damage. If the damage processing occurs after the effect expires, it won't know that the target used to be crit immune.

How does this work without my extension loaded, I'm curious. The core ruleset code checks for crit immunity in the damage processing so it looks like even without my extension loaded, it would behave like this.

Another thing to try would be to ignore the critical hit altogether and have an effect on the target like "IMMUNE:fire" that expires in the same way. Then have the target get attacked by a weapon that does fire damage and see if the fire damage is applied. This will bypass my extension altogether.
    The bit about expiring before the roll is just how FG's chat shows the outcome, that's how it's supposed to work, it expires the effect as it 'computes' them, so it shows up as going away at the same time the damage roll is being applied. I've seen this appear before or after, unsure of what exactly decides that (be it lag, or whatever else)

FG is pretty smart about when to expire things based on Action, so if it's looking at a DMG: or RESIST: effect it will only expire them when the corresponding action is taken. So a DMG: effect will not go away by rolling an attack roll or a skill check.

I've added a screenshot of a campaign with no extensions, same scenario as before.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by EisenF; January 5th, 2022 at 15:44. Reason: typo

Thanks for that description! I'll look into it.

One thing I'm having trouble with though (definitely user error) is making the effect "IMMUNE:critical" so it expires. How are you doing it? (asking because I've never done that before)

Thanks again!

Ah, my bad, I meant to include that in my reply as well.

I just cycle through the option underlined in red in the picture.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks! I tried something similar but the effect did not go away. I'll try again.

Thanks! I tried something similar but the effect did not go away. I'll try again, but I must be doing something wrong because I can't get it to expire. ugh.

Setting the effect to expire and then rolling the damage after should make it go away. Just make sure the attack/damage is being handled as a crit.
    Are you using targeting on a CT? That could also affect it

I can join at a table or through discord to help out as well.

OK...it's weird. For some reason my attacks were considered untargetted. I changed the faction of the target to "hostile" and it worked. Is that normal? I'll look into it more tonight. Thanks for the report!

Thread Information