FG Spreadshirt Swag
Page 18 of 23 First ... 81617181920 ... Last

Second thoughts….

So, it looks like smiteworks would need to treat spell and weapon attacks separately to handle it properly, but in the mean time can we add CRITZEROED and CRITREMOVED to the critical dice, effect dice, special effect dice, and weapon dice options?

Quote Originally Posted by mapleybacons View Post
    Second thoughts….

So, it looks like smiteworks would need to treat spell and weapon attacks separately to handle it properly, but in the mean time can we add CRITZEROED and CRITREMOVED to the critical dice, effect dice, special effect dice, and weapon dice options?
    First, some clarification:

1) the critical dice (green ones) are already affected by CRITZEROED and CRITREMOVED, so "CRITREMOVED critical" is the existing behavior
    2) Special Critical dice don't generate green dice so wouldn't be affected. These are the critical types added by my Nat20 extension that aren't considered extra critical damage (green), but are added as normal damage if a critical hit is scored (like damage ignoring crit immunity, etc).
    3) The only thing this would option would do is to choose between: removing all green dice, removing green dice added for weapon damage, or removing green dice added for effect damage

That said, the engine does not keep track of what source (effect or weapon) added what crit dice so, for example, in order to remove crit dice added for effect damage and keep crit dice added for weapon damage, I would have to parse all the dice and match an effect dice to the critical dice that was added for it. This could get everything out of whack if something else added an extra dice or something that was not accounted for.

For example, if a weapon had damage = 2d6 slashing + 1d8 fire and critted, it would do: 2d6 (slashing) + 2d6 (slashing, critical) + 1d8 (fire) + 1d8 (fire, critical). That case would be easier because each damage die maps to a critical damage die, however, there could be cases where those damage dice wouldn't match up right and critical dice could be removed that shouldn't be. I think it would typically be OK, but I wouldn't want to add something like that for fear of removing a critical dice that is supposed to be there.

The existing CRITZEROED and CRITREMOVED apply to all critical dice and remove all added critical damage dice (i.e. the green ones)

I could work on something like an "Experimental Options" that would do a "buyer beware" removal of effect criticals by simply matching damage types and removing that many green dice of the effect type, but that can get hariy pretty quickly.

In the example above, were you wanting options to select the damage to be:

1) "CRITREMOVED effects" = 2d6 slashing + 1d8 fire + 2d6 slashing, critical (in this case, the green 1d8 fire, critical dice would be removed)
    2) "CRITREMOVED weapon" = 2d6 slashing + 1d8 fire + 1d8 fire, critical (in this case, the green 2d6 slashing, critical dice would be removed)

"CRITREMOVED critical" is the way it behaves now and results in 2d6 slashing + 1d8 fire.
    "CRITREMOVED special critical" makes no sense given the definition of special criticals - they don't generate extra critical damage dice so it would never do anything.

Just trying to see what you are asking to see if it makes sense to do, and if it's robust given how you can't tell what source added the critical damage dice - they generally match up but I've not verified that in all cases, they would.

Thanks!
    Jeff.

I was not expecting such a detailed response! This makes a lot of sense, thanks. I guess we’re kind of at SmiteWorks’ mercy on this one.

But, still, thank you for all your work on this. I really appreciate it.

FYI, getting a lua error when rolling damage for NPCs after setting "Disable critical damage dice" to "remove crit die". Setting it to "Force crits to 0" does not throw an error. Only shows up on the DM client, not players.

Hmmm...I just ran it with my standard array of extensions and didn't get any LUA errors...which version shows up in the chat window when you load it? Also, could you try the attached "test" version from post #167 in this thread? I'm going to be committing that one to the forge probably today or tomorrow since I haven't run into any issues with it.

Also, what's the error you are getting?

Thanks!
    Last edited by TheoGeek; September 19th, 2022 at 20:36.

I did some testing with different extensions loaded. I get the same error every in all cases.

Normal load:

"Isolated" with just a Improved Criticals and a theme:

Same, but with the beta from post#167: (I think these were the same version I had from the Forge?)

I did also unload the theme to check and got the same error.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Ah, are you dragging damage to the target instead of rolling the damage? I never do that so I didn't see this. Until I get an update uploaded, you can avoid the error by rolling against a target instead of dragging the damage.

I have the tokens targeted then drag rolls, damage, and effects to the chat/roll window usually. Will double clicking work?

Quote Originally Posted by mapleybacons View Post
    I have the tokens targeted then drag rolls, damage, and effects to the chat/roll window usually. Will double clicking work?
    It should, but I *think* I fixed the issue. If you update the extension, dragging should work now. Let me know!

Thread Information