FG Forge
Page 1 of 10 123 ... Last

Theogeek's Improved Critical (5E/PF)

!!! This has been moved to the forge !!!!

See https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...roved-Critical for history.

These will stay here for a bit, but you should get this from the forge as future updates will only go there.
    Theogeek-ImprovedCritical.ext (Version 6.0) - PF2 Support Added
    5E-Theogeek-ImprovedCritical.ext (Version 5.2)

New Features:
    1) Add PF2 support
    2) Added "Double Damage" option [No/Yes] that will double all dice if 'Yes'. This stacks with the max damage settings as well, so be careful - it's best to choose max or double but not both.
    3) Renamed extension and thread.

Version History:
    6.0 - Split files for common PFRPG2/5E capability and merged Double Damage option to trunk
    5.2 - Minor change to remove global data item.
    5.1 - Add support for Advanced Weapon Damage by adding a function to call that does not call the ruleset's onDamage. Fixed version info in chat while loading extension.
    5.0 - Add support for the Nat20 extension's "special critical damage" types

I am releasing this here because I significantly changed the internal workings to make it compatible with my just released Nat 20 extension (if you use that extension, you must use this version of Improved Critical). I renamed it as well to make it more standard, and am only developing in Unity (though testing has been done with FGC as well) so I thought I'd keep them separate just in case. In any case, this version *should* be functionally equivalent to version 3.x and more compatible with other extensions.

I did remove the "fix damage calculation" option because it seems to be fixed (at least in FGU). If you encounter any issues with this, let me know and I'll add it back.

====

DESCRIPTION
    Have you ever scored a critical hit only to roll 2 damage? Me too. So I made this extension because I have been disappointed as a player and have had players disappointed in critical hits that do less damage than a standard hit. This extension allows the DM to change the way critical damage is computed. More detail is found in the description of the options below, but quickly, suppose you had a half-orc with 18 strength (and no other bonuses) wielding a greatsword.
    If he scores a critical hit, he would normally do 2d6 + 3d6 + 5 damage.

This would normally be pretty sweet, but with some crappy rolls, it could end up with this lameness:

Imagine your measly human buddy with no strength bonus, who barely hit, rolling 2 6s for 12 total damage. Lame, right?

This extension allows you to configure critical hits so that they are actually critical....well...mostly anyway. You can modify the calculation such that, when computing critical damage:

• standard damage dice are maximized
    • critical damage dice are maximized
    • effect damage dice are maximized
    • total damage is doubled
    • any combination of the above

I normally run with damage and effect dice maximized and critical damage dice rolled such that our half-orc's critical damage would look like this:

This guarantees that whenever he crits with his greatsword, he does at least 20 damage.

Note the output:
    "IMPROVED CRITICAL MAXXED" means that the option was chosen to MAX certain dice
    "D1(b6)=6(was 2)" means that the first damage dice is a blue d6 (b6) (indicating it was maxxed) that was assigned a value of 6 but was rolled as a 2
    "D2(b6)=6(was 4)" means that the second damage dice is a blue d6 (b6) (indicating it was maxxed) that was assigned a value of 6 but was rolled as a 4

Note that no matter what option you choose for effect or critical damage dice, they will always be purple or green respectively.

Have fun with it and let me know if you have any additional ideas!

OPTIONS

Option Selections Defaults to... Description
    Apply if target is crit immune No, Yes No Whether or not to apply modified damage dice to crit immune targets. This is only for the normal damage such that if this is set to "No" and a critical hit is rolled against a crit immune target, the normal damage dice will remain as rolled regardless of the other settings.
    Disable critical damage dice No, Remove crit dice, Force crit dice to 0 No Whether to leave critical damage dice as rolled, remove them altogether, or set their values to 0.
    Double Dice No, Yes No Whether or not to double all damage dice. This affects maximized dice as well so be careful.
    Max Dice: Critical No, Yes No Whether or not to maximize the critical damage dice.
    Max Dice: Damage No, Yes Yes Whether or not to maximize the normal damage dice.
    Max Dice: Effect No, Yes Yes Whether or not to maximize the effect damage dice.
    Show die roll for target First only, Crit immune, All First only Select for which targets to display the damage dice graphics in the chat window. You typically want to leave this alone.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by TheoGeek; July 29th, 2021 at 02:41. Reason: Adding description and screenshots

Our campaign loves this extension
    Ultimate License Holder & FGU backer
    playing D&D since 1980

Currently GMing:
    *upcoming Traveller campaign

*Currently Playing
    * House of Windsor Traveller campaign

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by donpaulo View Post
    Our campaign loves this extension
    My rogue loves it, everyone else hates it when the monsters Crit them (and I cackle in laughter)!

hehe...At one time, I was thinking about adding an option to make it only apply for PCs, but then quickly changed my mind. What's good for the goose and all...

What am I missing, do I need the original ext on too? I am using only yours and none of the crits are working anymore. I am in the settings and can't find it anywhere. I feel stupid lol

Hey arcanjl! First, thanks for checking out the extension!

Second, yeah, you only need v4, you don't need the old one.

I just tried it with an empty campaign with only v4 of my extension and it was working fine, the options are there and everything. Are you using Unity or Classic? I tried both and both are working.

You can tell that the extension loaded by seeing this in the chat window when FG starts:

logo.jpg

if that's not there, then the extension isn't loaded.

You aren't forgetting to select it when you start your campaign are you? That's neeeeever happened to me. hehe

Blog Entries
    FYI, I'm using in FGU with no issues. Used to use in FGC with no issues.

I don't know why, but it is making me click it every load. it usually remembers so I jumped the gun on that - sorry guys

No worries...glad it's working!

Thank you for sharing this!!

Thread Information