DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 19 of 23 First ... 91718192021 ... Last
    Do you think it would be possible to code a feature to disable critical hits from monsters, to embrace the design philosophy for the upcoming edition change? It'd be nice to be able to turn monster crits off.

Quote Originally Posted by Fingersome View Post
    Do you think it would be possible to code a feature to disable critical hits from monsters, to embrace the design philosophy for the upcoming edition change? It'd be nice to be able to turn monster crits off.
    Just give your players the effect “IMMUNE: critical”.
    For support with any of my extensions, visit my #mattekure-stuff channel on Rob2e's discord https://discord.gg/rob2e

Accidentally double posted
    For support with any of my extensions, visit my #mattekure-stuff channel on Rob2e's discord https://discord.gg/rob2e

This. Also a side effect is that One D&D effectively makes adamantine armor pointless.

Also, this method should be used because the One D&D rule basically limits critical hits to player's weapon attacks or unarmed strikes. Nothing else can crit so if you want to make sure you are covering the current crit rules of One D&D, adding "IMMUNE: critical" makes sure of that.
    Last edited by TheoGeek; December 19th, 2022 at 19:26.

I am, as usual, a big dummy who overlooks the simple solution haha

Ha! I overlook simple a lot too.

It'll be interesting to see how Fantasygrounds Incorporates these updates when/if they become canon and how that changes my extension.

Thanks for the extension, is there a setting I can use so that PCs have their crits always above the average, but enemies can roll the full range?

I want players to be able to always hit average or higher, but enemies to have the possibility of rolling a crit and doing little damage.

Without changing anything, enemies use the same settings as PCs, so I can look into changing that. If I did, I'd add an "enemies ignore settings" kind of setting because there are a few ways to get PCs to always do more damage...

1) you can use the "Raise Floor" option and set the floor to be 50% of the max which should cause damage to be (MaxPossible/2 to MaxPossible) so if crit was a greatsword, the damage would be [6,12] + 12 for a range of 18-24 on a crit. You can set the floor to any percentage from 10% to 90%.
    2) you can use the "hard criticals" option and set the hard min to some percentage. This is effectively the same as raising the floor, but was added so you could set some values and forget about them and only change the damage calculation.

So there isn't a "Buff PC Damage" but using "Raise Floor" or "Hard Criticals" (or even "Medium Criticals"), you can achieve what you want.

Thanks!
    Jeff.

--- Update ---
    So, it's pretty straightforward to do this, the question is "what's the best way to structure the options?" because the damage is broken out into 4 categories. Do I want to have the same configurable options for NPCs as well (which would double the options and clutter the options dialog)

Since NPCs also have critical, effect, weapon, and special damage types, I'm inclined to just have one option for NPC damage to bypass the whole thing or apply the options as specified. That makes it easy. Note that "bypassing the whole thing" would still apply the remove/zeroize critical dice setting and only include the damage options.

With more effort, I could make 4 "mirrored" options for "NPC Damage (xxx dice)", but I'm thinking NPCs should be an all or nothing thing. Though it would be kinda cool to have the ability to "nerf" or "buff" NPCs too...now you got me thinking.
    Last edited by TheoGeek; February 9th, 2023 at 18:25.

I think I'm following you :P

If it helps to understand where I am coming from, I'm happy for my PCs to have a crit that does above average damage... but when an enemy did this in our last session and effectively wiped out a PC in one hit, I decided I'm ok for them to get a crit but roll low damage.

With that in mind, I guess my needs are met with an 'NPC ignore' option?

OK, I went and did it. I'm testing now, but I changed a few things. There are now two new "global" options - "Apply damage to NPC crits" and "Apply damage to PC crits" which will enable/disable the damage modifiers for each type (critical, effect, special critical, and weapon) for NPCs or PCs respectively. I also changed the 4 damage types to now be separately modifiable for NPCs and PCs.

So, now, using the "Apply damage to xxx crits" option, you can enable/disable damage mods for NPCs, PCs, both, or neither independently.

It wasn't that hard actually because of how I have it set up.

Also, regardless of the "Apply damage to ..." setting, the "Apply to crit immune targets", "Disable critical damage dice", "Double Dice", and "Max Dice: First die only" options always apply across the board.

Should be available within a couple hours!

Thanks for the suggestion!
    Jeff.

I attached a minimally tested version if you want to give it a go before I put it on the forge.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by TheoGeek; February 11th, 2023 at 00:59.

Thread Information