STAR TREK 2d20
Page 7 of 14 First ... 56789 ... Last
    Hi there! Cool extension. It's putting me on a path to solving a problem I want to solve.
    What I'm looking for: in 5e, I want to change the default crit (on Nat20 only) to make all damage doubled. Not roll double dice, roll the original dice as if a non-grit, adding all modifiers, and then double that damage. Resistances would apply naturally.
    Is this something that could be implemented through this nat20 engine, or your Improved Crit engine?

Hey zelannii!

So, I think the best place to make this change would be in the Improved Critical extension (or a new extension). The purpose of the Nat20 extension is to simply add the capability to define new dmaage types ("nat20", "normalcrit", and "supercrit") and include or exclude damage dice for them depending on the clauses added to the damage types on the PC or NPC sheets. Modifying the damage is handled by the Improved Critical extension.

Adding this to the Improved Critical extension shouldn't be hard...I can take a look and see if you want. This would be similar to how 2e handled critical rolls (depending on how the the wording of the DMG was interpreted), right ? We always doubled damage on a critical hit like you are talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by TheoGeek View Post
    Hey zelannii!

So, I think the best place to make this change would be in the Improved Critical extension (or a new extension). The purpose of the Nat20 extension is to simply add the capability to define new dmaage types ("nat20", "normalcrit", and "supercrit") and include or exclude damage dice for them depending on the clauses added to the damage types on the PC or NPC sheets. Modifying the damage is handled by the Improved Critical extension.

Adding this to the Improved Critical extension shouldn't be hard...I can take a look and see if you want. This would be similar to how 2e handled critical rolls (depending on how the the wording of the DMG was interpreted), right ? We always doubled damage on a critical hit like you are talking about.
    Yes, basically same as DnD 2e without the extra roll to see if a crit was a crit to start with... (2e/3e crit rules were weird)
    What I'd really like to actually do is have this not only double crit dmg on a 20, but also double fumble damage on crit 1s for saves. (crit fail a save and have the same effect). and then one more step... have it actually be a Nat21, not Nat20. (a custom 20-sided die option that rolls 1-19,21, no 20 that replaces the default D20). I believe I've already figured out how to change the default D20 to report a 21 when rolling a 20.

This effort is for a crew I'm following and occasionally playing with called Nat21Adventures. They play 5e, but the gimmick is the die goes to 21 (they even made custom D20s) and Nat21 or crit fail is flat double.

I'm pretty good editing code, I just don't know anything about FGU's actual back-end to try to code something like this myself. I've extraced your modules and am trying to piece out how they work. But, it's a work day so I've not exactly gotten very far yet.

My Improved Critical extension does a lot of manipulation of the rRoll record AFTER the core ruleset does its thing which helps to mitigate it breaking when new ruleset updates are released. That would be a good one to look at if you are looking at making your own extension (which I would encourage by the way...it's pretty fun, especially if you like coding!)

If you wanna try that, let me know if you have any questions about how I made that one and why I did what I did. I put a ton of comments in there so I wouldn't get lost if I ever had to make updates...

So, I added a "beta" version of ImprovedCritical here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...l=1#post590023

It adds a menu option to double the total damage.

Check it out if you want.

Later!

Added version 4.3 to the forge. Updated the version number and removed a leftover Debug statement.

Added version 4.3.1 to the forge...support for bmos' Ammunition Manager.

Quote Originally Posted by TheoGeek View Post
    Added version 4.3.1 to the forge...support for bmos' Ammunition Manager.
    Thanks for this!

Updated version 4.3.3 in the forge!

Fixed a bug that caused problems when multiple effect clauses were contained in the same effect.

Thread Information