FG Spreadshirt Swag
Page 1 of 5 123 ... Last

PFRPG Ability Drain and Permanent Bonuses

This extension provides a more rules-compliant way to track permanent ability bonuses and ability drain in Pathfinder 1e without modifying the character's base ability score.

Please note that the bonus types chosen in the list are only used for stacking against other permanent bonuses. The bonuses applied by effects do not check for permanent typed bonuses, so you must be aware of their types when applying effects (just like in FG usually with Pathfinder when you apply them to the ability scores -- but then you don't even have a visual reference).

Extension Homepage, README, and Codebase
    FantasyGrounds Forge
    Ext Files and Changelog
    License Information
    Bug Tracker and Suggestions

To avoid my threads taking over the PF1e subforum, I publish most updates in my combo thread (with only major updates in this individual thread which is primarily for discussion and bug reports). To ensure you're kept informed of future updates, either subscribe to that thread (for updates to all my extensions) or create a GitHub account and follow the specific repository of each extension you use. Or just check the releases linked in the first post of the thread periodically.
    Last edited by bmos; August 29th, 2021 at 22:38.

Quote Originally Posted by bmos View Post
    This extension provides a rules-compliant way to track permanent ability bonuses and ability drain in Pathfinder 1e without modifying the character's base ability score.
    For more information, see the readme.

Extension Homepage and Readme
    Download
    License Information
    Bug Tracker and Suggestions

If you find this extension of value and would like to contribute to my work, please consider joining my Patreon.
    Cool

I just looked at it because for 3.5e it might be also nice (just in aesthetical sense; in functional sense one can completely use effects in 3.5e) Looks nice

What I have found: Some types do stack by rules (dodge or untyped for example), this is at the moment not happening (though there is the easy workaround to just add them in one box ). And, assuming I do not misunderstand the PF1 rules, the stacking rules are not checked with respect to effects. I mean when you have for example a permanent enhancement bonus of +4 and a temporary enhancement bonus of +2 then the total extra mod is +3 with your extension but it should be +2, isn't it? (because the permanent one should overwrite the temporary one; I do not think that they stack, isn't it? )

Quote Originally Posted by Kelrugem View Post
    Cool

I just looked at it because for 3.5e it might be also nice (just in aesthetical sense; in functional sense one can completely use effects in 3.5e) Looks nice

What I have found: Some types do stack by rules (dodge or untyped for example), this is at the moment not happening (though there is the easy workaround to just add them in one box ). And, assuming I do not misunderstand the PF1 rules, the stacking rules are not checked with respect to effects. I mean when you have for example a permanent enhancement bonus of +4 and a temporary enhancement bonus of +2 then the total extra mod is +3 with your extension but it should be +2, isn't it? (because the permanent one should overwrite the temporary one; I do not think that they stack, isn't it? )
    Ah, forgot to mention that in the readme. You are correct that I have not implemented dodge and circumstance allowing stacking. I do plan to do this, but I didn't think it was a priority since I don't know of any permanent bonuses that use those types.

Also, good catch about the permanent/temporary stacking behavior, I made an assumption about the rules there which was incorrect. I'll see about correcting this oversight this week

If this is useful for 3.5E I can add the ruleset tag also, I assumed it would be redundant since effects already work for both types in 3.5E.
    Last edited by bmos; September 1st, 2020 at 13:02.

Quote Originally Posted by bmos View Post
    Ah, forgot to mention that in the readme. You are correct that I have not implemented dodge and circumstance allowing stacking. I do plan to do this, but I didn't think it was a priority since I don't know of any permanent bonuses that use those types.

Also, good catch about the permanent/temporary stacking behavior, I made an assumption about the rules there which was incorrect. I'll see about correcting this oversight this week

If this is useful for 3.5E I can add the ruleset tag also, I assumed it would be redundant since effects already work for both types in 3.5E.
    I completely understand, and yes the first thing is indeed not so important

Yes, it can be useful for 3.5e when one prefers to track permanent things in the sheet, but, indeed, that would be something just aesthetical since we gladly do not have this effect stuff problem

Thank you

Using this extension in conjunction with the Strain/Injury extensions causes the following script errors upon opening a character sheet:

Code:
    Script Error: [string "campaign/scripts/char_main.lua"]:51: attempt to index global 'nonlethal' (a nil value)
    Script Error: [string "campaign/scripts/char_main.lua"]:51: attempt to index global 'nonlethal' (a nil value)
    @Kelrugem: Perhaps instead of removing the nonlethal control in the S/I extensions, you could instead just hide it and make it zero size? Kind of depends on why this extension is referencing that control I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by darrenan View Post
    Using this extension in conjunction with the Strain/Injury extensions causes the following script errors upon opening a character sheet:

Code:
    @Kelrugem: Perhaps instead of removing the nonlethal control in the S/I extensions, you could instead just hide it and make it zero size? Kind of depends on why this extension is referencing that control I guess.
    Ah, I see, interesting Thanks for the suggestion

@bmos: Do you somewhere reference nonlethal in this extension? Maybe in the xml? Is it possible that this is avoided by using merge=join rules somehow? (I looked into your code, but I couldn't see the culprit immediately. You also don't overwrite char_main.lua, so, that may not be the problem)

I can add a "secret nonlethal box", but I also get this error sometimes when attacking, so I am afraid that the code tries to add damage to a nonlethal box then (which is not there anymore in the strainInjury version). Thence, an invisible nonlethal box might cause other issues which are not immediately visible because there would be then no error message So, I want to understand first what exactly is going on here

(when only StrainInury loaded, then everything works fine. So somehow the nonlethal reference comes back when using both )

Quote Originally Posted by Kelrugem View Post
    @bmos: Do you somewhere reference nonlethal in this extension? Maybe in the xml?
    Nope, I just did a search using Notepad++ and got no results for nonlethal.
    I've been using the <invisible /> tag on anything I want to 'delete' to avoid this sort of issue.

The line in the error is referring to the code within OnHealthChanged() (which is triggered by a few things) that changes the color of the nonlethal box

Code:
    Do you only have those two extensions loaded? I can't imagine why this would be triggering health stuff unless Live Hitpoints were loaded.
    Last edited by bmos; September 1st, 2020 at 19:08.

Strain/Injury with Full Package only: No Error
    S/I with Live HP: No Error
    S/I with Drain and Permanent Bonuses: Error
    S/I with both Live HP and Drain and Permanent Bonuses: No Error!!

In all four cases above I just opened the campaign, opened the Characters window, and opened an existing character. Note that no error occurs when using both of your extensions, only when using just this one with S/I. Hope that helps.

Strain/Injury with Full Package only: No Error
    S/I with Live HP: No Error
    S/I with Drain and Permanent Bonuses: Error
    S/I with both Live HP and Drain and Permanent Bonuses: No Error!!

In all four cases above I just opened the campaign, opened the Characters window, and opened an existing character. Note that no error occurs when using both of your extensions, only when using just this one with S/I. Hope that helps.
    Ah, oki, the Live HP extension has the nonlethal wound box in its xml which you probably do not see because my load order is higher such that it gets deleted again, but seemingly leading to a vanishing error? Interesting I take a look at the live hp extension when I have time, too (also to see whether the nonlethal code there might lead to other invisible issues with StrainInjury )

(although this error behaviour is still somewhat strange, I hope I can find the culprit, surely interesting )

EDIT; desregard
    Last edited by bmos; September 1st, 2020 at 20:39.

Thread Information