FG Spreadshirt Swag

SWADE vs SWDE products on FG Store - please separate them!

So in the FG Store, it looks like there are several SWADE products that are dumped into the generic Savage Worlds bin. Especially if you search by ruleset, several new SWADE products are not included in the SWADE results.

That's like dumping D&D 5e products in the 4e bin. And I suspect there would be blood if that happened. These products need to be separated into their respective ruleset categories.

I noticed it with "Dawn of the Daikaiju" but then realized there are several other miscategorized products as well.

I reported this as a "bug" to FG, but I'll post it here as well as a general advisory as well.
    Last edited by RCathcart; December 11th, 2020 at 21:00.

Quote Originally Posted by RCathcart View Post
    So in the FG Store, it looks like there are several SWADE products that are dumped into the generic Savage Worlds bin. Especially if you search by ruleset, several new SWADE products are not included in the SWADE results.

That's like dumping D&D 5e products in the 4e bin. And I suspect there would be blood if that happened. These products need to be separated into their respective ruleset categories.

I noticed it with "Dawn of the Daikaiju" but then realized there are several other miscategorized products as well.

I reported this as a "bug" to FG, but I'll post it here as well as a general advisory as well.
    SWD products work with the SWADE ruleset, it is not the same as 4e and 5e.

Quite a few products have both SWADE and SWD versions included, how do you split those?

What they need to do is update the products descriptions.
    My players just defeated an army, had a dogfight with aliens, machine-gunned the zombies, stormed the tower, became Legendary and died heroically

Yours are still on combat round 6

Get Savage
    Ultimate License Holder.
    First GM to post a game for the original FG Con!

Quote Originally Posted by Doswelk View Post
    SWD products work with the SWADE ruleset, it is not the same as 4e and 5e.
    With respect, I think you're confusing the technical ability to load content into a ruleset with whether that content has been made in accordance with game rules of that ruleset. Yes, you can load FG SWDE content into a FG SWADE campaign, but that content is *not* made in accordance with SWADE rules. That's bad. Just because you can fit a V6 engine into a chassis designed for a V8 does not mean that's how God intended it.

But take care of the easy stuff first. Right now, there is content that is clearly misfiled. For example, the "Disaster at Gran Atomica" module is clearly made under SWADE but does not show up under the SWADE filter. There are several entries like that. Those need to be fixed.

Then there's the issue of cross-compatibility (which is hardly an issue unique to Savage Worlds). Some content might indeed be entirely "edition" agnostic. That content can show up on both SWDE and SWADE listings. Same goes for content that has appropriate modifications for both rulesets included in one package.

For content that is *not* edition agnostic, those should be filed, categorized and noted as such. SWADE dependent content should *not* show up in SWDE listings and visa versa. That's misleading. Updating product descriptions is good but not enough. You don't put the bread in the glutton-free aisle hoping that shoppers will read the ingredients. Because. They. Won't.

Fortunately, "Which edition is this written for?" is a pretty easy question FG can pose to its content creators, and they already have the filter and category system in place. Fantasy Grounds just needs to fix and keep a closer eye on Savage Worlds content because right now it's a mess.
    Last edited by RCathcart; December 12th, 2020 at 16:08.

So I am a Fantasy Grounds veteran, but new to SWADE. I was wondering 2 things. First, how much of a challenge is it to use the older version stuff with SWADE? Second, is there any way to tell which modules are for which version?

James

Quote Originally Posted by james10872 View Post
    So I am a Fantasy Grounds veteran, but new to SWADE. I was wondering 2 things. First, how much of a challenge is it to use the older version stuff with SWADE? Second, is there any way to tell which modules are for which version?

James
    I'll answer the first part - it generally works very well. For more complex critters you might need to run a quick sample combat to make sure the coding reads correctly (if a critter had a number of edges and abilities - example - if the stat block just says Huge it might not do the scale right, but if it has Size +4 then it will). Most of the time you can just slap on Athletics (skill) and be done with it or just use Agility when Athletics would be called for. I use the Hellfrost Bestiary as is all the time for fantasy games.

For players, it just good to look over any new edges or powers to make sure there is not a SWADE improved version of it already in the core rules.

I think some of the old Deluxe produces have been updated based on their conversion guide (50 Fathoms perhaps), but I have not really looked at that closely. Otherwise, the recently released Deadlands Lost Colony is one of the few full SWADE settings there (there are some mini-settings, a new 50 Fathoms plot pot, and the new Deadlands is on the way).

Blog Entries
    Really wish we had a sticky in this forum section since we keep answering these questions every couple weeks...

Quote Originally Posted by james10872 View Post
    All DLC loads into both rulesets, so everything is perfectly 'usable.' @Ikael took great lengths when coding the SWADE ruleset to ensure that was the case and when that was done, gave all us DLC Developers instructions to make sure all our projects matched up. The only time an error may occur (so far I don't recall hearing of this happening but it's always a possibility) is if an NPC was built using some of the features (Edges, Hindrances, etc.) that were part of SWD but removed in SWADE. Clicking a link that goes nowhere will obviously generate an error just like clicking a link to a website that no longer exists. However, the scripts don't necessarily know how to change the rule mechanics back and forth, and like @amerigoV mentioned, if you're that picky about it you'd need to possibly adjust some NPC stats to match the new SWADE stats but otherwise, things pretty much load in and work with minimal effort.

As for the store, yeah... it would be great if products were properly categorized (that's across the board, not just Savage Worlds). The other problem is that once a product has released, it's like pulling teeth from a rabid dog to get them to update the page, such as the occasions where we either add the SWADE version along with the SWD version all in the same product (Lankhmar and 50 Fathoms are two examples) or when certain products that originally released for SWD but are now totally switched over to SWADE (Beasts & Barbarians Steel Edition, for example).

If the product is incorrectly categorized (or even if it is sometimes) there's not really a good way to tell. Crystal Heart for example, is correctly in the SWADE filter but once you're looking at the page, there is nothing obvious that stands out, no iconography such as the FGC|FGU, etc. Nothing except: "Requires: An active subscription or a one time purchase of a Fantasy Grounds Full or Ultimate license and a one time purchase of the Savage Worlds Adventure Edition ruleset." No bold highlighting the ruleset, nothing that would draw your attention and let's face it, most customers don't read details like that.

Thanks for the information. All good info.

James

Quote Originally Posted by Talyn View Post
    As for the store, yeah... it would be great if products were properly categorized (that's across the board, not just Savage Worlds). The other problem is that once a product has released, it's like pulling teeth from a rabid dog to get them to update the page...
    Just to clarify, are you saying it’s Fantasy Grounds that is not timely updating pages or the developers?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RCathcart View Post
    Just to clarify, are you saying it’s Fantasy Grounds that is not timely updating pages or the developers?
    Correct. My (very limited) impression has been that any edits to the Store page create a domino effect of backend issues that have to be dealt with, so edits tend to be infrequent or never. That could be way off-base from the truth, however.

Thread Information