FG Spreadshirt Swag
Page 1 of 7 123 ... Last

Maps should be right click scrollable

For years I have played games where scrolling the map is done by right clicking anywhere in the map and moving the mouse. It's worked well for years, but scrolling in FG seems impossible to me, except using scrolling out and in repeatedly using the mouse scroll wheel, in some frakenstein attempt to move the central point of focus. Holding down mouse scroll wheel does nothing by the way. So my only way of moving the map is repeated scroll out, scroll in.

It's 2020 - we deserve better and this should have been one of the first systems implemented IMHO. PLEASE please make it so I can scroll a map.

Holding down mouse scroll wheel works for me. In Photoshop its the space bar and that is what I am use to.

Hold control and drag the compass rose in the lower right up/down to zoom in /out.

Drag the compass rose in the lower right to move the map around.
    Ctrl + drag to move the map around.

I'd suggest a class at https://fantasygroundscollege.net so you learn more of the program, there is a lot to it that you probably won't figure out on your own.

Blog Entries
    There is is no universal standard for how user interfaces scroll images. Different programs do it different ways. You will need to learn the ways that FG does this, the UI is unlikely to be changed to suite the desires of one part of the user base since that will just upset everyone used to the existing model. There are several ways to pan images in FG, more info here;
    https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassia...ctions#Windows

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Quote Originally Posted by kevininrussia View Post
    Holding down mouse scroll wheel works for me. In Photoshop its the space bar and that is what I am use to.
    Mouse scroll wheel does nothing at all for any part of fantasy grounds for me. (EDIT: Pressing it I mean, scrollung does scroll out of a map etc)
    Last edited by tentimes; August 28th, 2020 at 18:33.

Quote Originally Posted by bmos View Post
    Hold control and drag the compass rose in the lower right up/down to zoom in /out.

Drag the compass rose in the lower right to move the map around.
    Ctrl + drag to move the map around.

I'd suggest a class at https://fantasygroundscollege.net so you learn more of the program, there is a lot to it that you probably won't figure out on your own.
    The compass scrolls wildly all over the place for me and is uncontrollable. Why can't we just use what everything else uses and is universal in gaming, i.e. right click and scroll?

Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    There is is no universal standard for how user interfaces scroll images. Different programs do it different ways. You will need to learn the ways that FG does this, the UI is unlikely to be changed to suite the desires of one part of the user base since that will just upset everyone used to the existing model. There are several ways to pan images in FG, more info here;
    https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassia...ctions#Windows
    Well 99% of my games stick to a universal standard. Why not use that as a good starting point.? As it is now I cannot scroll the map, at all, nada, no scrolling (unless you click on the compass, in which case it speeds like an out of control racehorse and is impossible to control).

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tentimes View Post
    Well 99% of my games stick to a universal standard. Why not use that as a good starting point.? As it is now I cannot scroll the map, at all, nada, no scrolling (unless you click on the compass, in which case it speeds like an out of control racehorse and is impossible to control).
    of your games. Not everyone else's.

Why can't your preferences be used as a starting point? Because FG has been around and in use for over 15 years. Because you are one person, and their are tens of thousands of people who use it and are used to it like it is.

Look, I get it. Its not ideal for you, but changing a user interface is not a happy thing. If the program were new and did not have a history or an existing user base it could be easy to change things. But it does, and it's not. You can add it to the Wish List, but I can tell you it adds little value and I doubt the devs would be willing to consider it unless it got thousands of votes. Not the five a similar idea has; https://fg2app.idea.informer.com/proj/?ia=108729

As to your scroll wheel not working for panning, change your mouse settings so depressing your scroll wheel works as middle mouse button.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

As has been mentioned, there is *not* a standard for this in applications or games. What one person thinks is common/should be a standard others might not. Right-click to scroll is most definitely not common in the games I play, and not at all in the applications I use.

Plus, changing how FG performs now would go against the "FG Standard" than tens of thousands of FG users have gotten used to over the last 15+ years, and the right mouse button has some very specific functionality within FG.

I get it, you're used to something. But please don't insist on changing it to what you're used to from what the majority of FG users have become used to.

Your main issues appears to be that your middle-mouse button doesn't work in FG. I'd look into that to enable you to scroll your images within FG.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    of your games. Not everyone else's.

Why can't your preferences be used as a starting point? Because FG has been around and in use for over 15 years. Because you are one person, and their are tens of thousands of people who use it and are used to it like it is.

Look, I get it. Its not ideal for you, but changing a user interface is not a happy thing. If the program were new and did not have a history or an existing user base it could be easy to change things. But it does, and it's not. You can add it to the Wish List, but I can tell you it adds little value and I doubt the devs would be willing to consider it unless it got thousands of votes. Not the five a similar idea has; https://fg2app.idea.informer.com/proj/?ia=108729

As to your scroll wheel not working for panning, change your mouse settings so depressing your scroll wheel works as middle mouse button.
    Mouse scroll wheel to pan does nothing for me. I have tried adjusting settings but can find nothing for it. So I can't scroll maps. That is not acceptable. If I was to produce a program where large parts of my userbase could not scroll the map I would get a kick in the *** from my senior to sort it out.

Thread Information