DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 63 of 71 First ... 13536162636465 ... Last

Thread: Linux Testing

@nephranka,
    I guess I don't understand the purpose of XWayland, if having it installed doesn't just allow applications using X11 to just run without any extra setup.

@Lo Zeno,
    The challenge with adding new/unknown libraries to the mix that are not Unity assets already is that they do not include binaries that are known to work with Unity, as well as introducing a new component into the mix for validation and testing that has not been tested with Unity. Since I'm neither a native Mac nor Linux developer and use Unity for that purpose, I find having to build and maintain binaries for all the various architectures to be a potential large time synch and distraction from working on core features. I definitely do appreciate the pointer to the project, and will look at it more in the future.

Regards,
    JPG

Also, it looks like Native File Dialog project uses GTK for Linux support. Is that something that is native or built-in to Linux deployments; or yet another library that we would need to build/include?

Regards,
    JPG

GTK is a set of libraries for UI development, mostly used in Gnome desktop environment - simplifying everything extremely, 99% of the desktop environments on Linux use either GTK or Qt libraries for drawing windows; Native File Dialog uses GTK or optionally Zenity, a library that uses the same interfaces as GTK and as such gives you a choice: either put GTK as a requirement (which is almost always considered a fair requirement) or embed Zenity in your build for portability.

I am aware of the issues of mixing libraries that are not explicitely Unity assets, but Native File Dialog (and the derivative Native File Dialog Extended, look at that too if you have time) are essentially the most common library used for game development where a file explorer window is required, and examples on how to embed in a Unity project are abundant. I'm not going to say you'd have it up and running in 5 minutes, because I don't know the code of FGU and there can always be surprises that can increase the complexity, but it's a well documented and widespread library, so it's a viable option.

If all else fails, there's also Unity Standalone File Browser by Gökhan Gökçe, which is written in C# and specifically as a Unity asset, and uses Mono for the Mac and Linux packages so you don't need to include other lower-level libraries, but it isn't actively developed anymore, I think the last update was 3 years ago more or less, so it might still work fine (at the time it was perfect), but I wouldn't recommend it. Unless someone forks it and maintains it.

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Wizard View Post
    @nephranka,
    I guess I don't understand the purpose of XWayland, if having it installed doesn't just allow applications using X11 to just run without any extra setup.

@Lo Zeno,
    The challenge with adding new/unknown libraries to the mix that are not Unity assets already is that they do not include binaries that are known to work with Unity, as well as introducing a new component into the mix for validation and testing that has not been tested with Unity. Since I'm neither a native Mac nor Linux developer and use Unity for that purpose, I find having to build and maintain binaries for all the various architectures to be a potential large time synch and distraction from working on core features. I definitely do appreciate the pointer to the project, and will look at it more in the future.

Regards,
    JPG
    I believe xWayland is there to handle x11 calls but this may be more (also?) about GTK. kholdstare would have better ideas into that issue. The Fedora spin I use is KDE not gnome but I have the GTK libraries so I am able to access them. As Lo Zeno says, it is not unreasonable to have GTK as a requirement. Many people like gnome and those of us that don't have access.

EDIT: Another thought: Since we inherit the parent process environment for the process launch operation, it may be the FGU is using Wayland and is not expecting a x11 call so Wayland can't handle it. Which is why we have to override it on the launch and set the env variable to x11. I suppose we might be able to set the env variable for the os to x11 but that seems extreme/possibility dangerous to other programs and I am not sure if that would even work.
    Last edited by nephranka; November 4th, 2021 at 19:43.

Quote Originally Posted by nephranka View Post
    I run a script:
    GDK_BACKEND=x11 ./,smiteworks/fantasygrounds/FantasyGrounds.x86_64

To start FGU and everything works as expected. So, an addition to the wiki would help.
    Hi Nep ... for those of us not as skilled in (or just learning) Linux programming, can you or someone please put how to do the above scripting in laymen's instructions?

Thanks,
    WR

Quote Originally Posted by WilliamRiddle View Post
    Hi Nep ... for those of us not as skilled in (or just learning) Linux programming, can you or someone please put how to do the above scripting in laymen's instructions?

Thanks,
    WR
    I can send you a dm to discuss. Happy to try and help

In Test, when I click on a file button (like Asset windows, Folder button), FGU now opens up Sublime...... going to check out the Dev version.

Same in Dev version. At the moment this doesn't matter to me as I never use the file browser.
    Last edited by Jiminimonka; November 6th, 2021 at 15:05.

The Dev version is the Live version; so I think something must have changed in your setup, if it's opening Sublime now and it didn't before.
    Only the Test version has the updated library (which doesn't resolve the original issue anyway), but is a newer revision of the same library.

Regards,
    JPG

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Wizard View Post
    The Dev version is the Live version; so I think something must have changed in your setup, if it's opening Sublime now and it didn't before.
    Only the Test version has the updated library (which doesn't resolve the original issue anyway), but is a newer revision of the same library.

Regards,
    JPG
    Yeah, something change on my end - I noticed later in the day.

Thread Information