Starfinder Playlist
Page 53 of 71 First ... 343515253545563 ... Last

Thread: Linux Testing

Hello!

My group found this thread tonight because we have been experiencing the same problem. I'll give as many details as i can here, in the hope that it helps.

All of our trouble occurs when we leave an image open for an extended period of time. It happens with LoS enabled images, and with non-LoS images.

One of my players is running on Linux, and FGU will crash after a certain amount of time with images open.

Two of my players are running on Mac.

The first is an older Mac, and their machine will crash after a certain amount of time with images open, even with VSYNC set to 4.

The second is a newer Mac, and their machine will drain battery like crazy when images stay up for a long period, but no crashing (they run at VSYNC 2).

My final player and i both run on Windows and we don't have any major issues.

If you need specifics, i can get my players to post here or give me the info so i can share it!

We are playing using the 4E ruleset, and 4E combats are lengthy and require battle maps. Luckily, we are in a very RP heavy section of the adventure right now, but this will become an even bigger issue once we get back into fight mode.

If it would be helpful for me to cross post or link to this issue in another section of the forums, please let me know. Happy to help anyway i can!

Thanks,
    Shimrath.

Quote Originally Posted by Shimrath View Post
    Hello!

My group found this thread tonight because we have been experiencing the same problem. I'll give as many details as i can here, in the hope that it helps.

All of our trouble occurs when we leave an image open for an extended period of time. It happens with LoS enabled images, and with non-LoS images.

One of my players is running on Linux, and FGU will crash after a certain amount of time with images open.

Two of my players are running on Mac.

The first is an older Mac, and their machine will crash after a certain amount of time with images open, even with VSYNC set to 4.

The second is a newer Mac, and their machine will drain battery like crazy when images stay up for a long period, but no crashing (they run at VSYNC 2).

My final player and i both run on Windows and we don't have any major issues.

If you need specifics, i can get my players to post here or give me the info so i can share it!

We are playing using the 4E ruleset, and 4E combats are lengthy and require battle maps. Luckily, we are in a very RP heavy section of the adventure right now, but this will become an even bigger issue once we get back into fight mode.

If it would be helpful for me to cross post or link to this issue in another section of the forums, please let me know. Happy to help anyway i can!

Thanks,
    Shimrath.
    After a "crash" each player should open the console and Compile Logs and send the zip file created to you and you can send it to support.

We are working on narrowing down the details for the Linux crash, since Unity requires us to do all the legwork to narrow the problem. We have to basically build out a brand new application with steadily increasing capabilities of what FGU does until we can recreate. This has been slowed down by the vision/lighting work to get v4.1 out. However, the next version (v4.1) should help a little, since we found a memory leak with the grid graphics that may be contributing. We know this doesn't fix the issue, but it does slow it down from happening as quickly.

Similarly, the Mac machines will benefit from the next version grid memory fix for images. We believe that a good amount of the performance on the Mac is tied to the way the Unity game engine runs on a Mac; especially since it runs fine on Windows. So, make sure to have your players plug in their Macs while playing.

We still continue to look at both platforms in between other tasks to see what we can do to improve the scenario within the bounds of what the Unity game engine allows.

Regards,
    JPG

I have installed the FGU Linux bin file now on 4 systems without issue and it runs better than it does in Windows on the same computers. (I always set up dual boot).

On my friend's Dell it simply fails on the Linux install. Says it is opening the FGU Updater and then simply does "nothing".

Thoughts?

Also, what is the command to completely uninstall in the event we can't get it working?

DISTRO = Kubuntu 20.04.2

Quote Originally Posted by Malfindin View Post
    I have installed the FGU Linux bin file now on 4 systems without issue and it runs better than it does in Windows on the same computers. (I always set up dual boot).

On my friend's Dell it simply fails on the Linux install. Says it is opening the FGU Updater and then simply does "nothing".

Thoughts?

Also, what is the command to completely uninstall in the event we can't get it working?

DISTRO = Kubuntu 20.04.2
    Look at the first post in this thread.

I read the 1st post, but it NOT clear to me how this is relevant to my questions. I already tried those steps to no avail.

As I said in my OP I have installed and used FGU Linux Version successfully on FOUR systems.

On my friends Dell Laptop I cannot get it to run and I cannot get it to uninstall...

After downloading the BIN and running: "chmod +x ./FGUWebInstall.bin && ./FGUWebInstall.bin"

How does one reverse the process?

It's created an ICON but clicking on that ICON does not result in starting the program.

Even a check of system processes shows that NOTHING is running...

P.S. I can switch distros if needed. I am actually a Linux tech by trade. Linux is my BEST OS...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Malfindin View Post
    How does one reverse the process?
    Does this from the first post not work for you?
    to remove it first (NOTE: back up your data first if you saved it to either of these directories):
    sudo dpkg -r fantasygroundsinstaller && sudo rm -fr /usr/share/smiteworks && sudo rm -fr ~/.config/smiteworks

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    Does this from the first post not work for you?
    That set of commands was to uninstall the old .deb version of the package that used Ubuntu's system installation tools.
    The current installer is relatively system-agnostic and installs directly inside the user directory, so those commands won't help him. Okay, maybe the last one, which should remove the icon from the menu.

@Malfindin The current installer creates a .smiteworks folder in the user's home directory and installs everything there. You should be able to go to that folder in a terminal and make sure that FantasyGroundsUpdater is 1) present and 2) executable. You can then run it by just typing
    Code:
    ./FantasyGroundsUpdater
    This will start the first-time updater. You may have to click Settings if it doesn't automatically open the forum login/create login window.

If you want to uninstall and start over, you can just do a
    Code:
    rm -r ~/.smiteworks && rm -r ~/.config/smiteworks
    and start over with running FGUWebInstall.bin again.

Also, confirm your friend is actually running a 64-bit system. FGU will not run on a 32-bit system. (I'm pretty sure Kubuntu defaults to 64-bit and you have to specifically go looking for the 32-bit installer these days but it never hurts to confirm.)
    Last edited by wndrngdru; March 22nd, 2021 at 01:33. Reason: typos
    --
    I'm so bassic

So this might be a fruitless venture but worth asking.

My wife has a Pinebook Pro running Manjaro. I tried installing the web installer direct from smiteworks first and got the error

chmod cannot access '/home/valorie/.local/share/applications/FantasyGrounds.desktop' : No such file or directory
    Launching Fantasy Grounds Updater ...

Then nothing happens. There is no .local/share/applications folder let alone anything in it. I saw that someone was going to post the web installer on the AUR so I found it there and during build I get the error fantasygroundsinstaller is not available for the 'aarch64' architecture and the build quits.

Has anyone successfully installed FGU on a pbpro in Manjaro? If yes, any link to specific installers or instructions would be very appreciated.

Thread Information