5E Product Walkthrough Playlist
Page 3 of 71 First 123451353 ... Last

Thread: Linux Testing

The 'Advanced' tab in the FGUpdaterEngine settings mentions asking for administrator permissions to access the 'App Directory'. That would be proper instead of changing the owner of that directory to the current user.
    Screenshot from 2020-08-29 10-20-26.png

There are no fonts on the buttons.
    Screenshot from 2020-08-29 10-14-33.png

Installed it on my second system (Ryzen 3 3200G/Radeon RX 5600 XT/16 GB Ram/Slackware64-current). Changed the owner of all the installs to root.root. This meant I had to run it the first time as root to download and update all the program files. It installed the program files into the /usr/share folder. This is a bad way to install applications on a Linux system as it makes package management ineffective. Ideally there would just be a new package whenever the application was installed. Instead of just installing an installer on a linux system the package should be the whole program. Otherwise it requires manually finding the applications and running them. Please consider this for the future as Linux users are used to downloading new packages when needed.

The updater ran and downloaded all the content into the ~/.smiteworks folder so that is fine and I was able to run the application and it seemed to run really smoothly. I'll have to play around with it a little more.

Here is the system information:
    Code:
                      :::::::                       
                :::::::::::::::::::                ------------------------ 
             :::::::::::::::::::::::::             OS: Slackware 14.2 x86_64 (post 14.2 -current) x86_64 
           ::::::::cllcccccllllllll::::::          Kernel: 5.4.31 
        :::::::::lc               dc:::::::        Uptime: 40 mins 
       ::::::::cl   clllccllll    oc:::::::::      Packages: 1579 (pkgtool) 
      :::::::::o   lc::::::::co   oc::::::::::     Shell: bash 5.0.18 
     ::::::::::o    cccclc:::::clcc::::::::::::    Resolution: 1920x1080 
     :::::::::::lc        cclccclc:::::::::::::    DE: Plasma 
    ::::::::::::::lcclcc          lc::::::::::::   WM: KWin 
    ::::::::::cclcc:::::lccclc     oc:::::::::::   Theme: [Plasma], oxygen-gtk [GTK2], Adwaita [GTK3] 
    ::::::::::o    l::::::::::l    lc:::::::::::   Icons: [Plasma], Adwaita [GTK3] 
     :::::cll:o     clcllcccll     o:::::::::::    Terminal: konsole 
     :::::occ:o                  clc:::::::::::    CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3200G (4) @ 3.600GHz 
      ::::ocl:ccslclccclclccclclc:::::::::::::     GPU: AMD ATI Radeon RX 5600 OEM/5600 XT / 5700/5700 XT 
       :::oclcccccccccccccllllllllllllll:::::      Memory: 1712MiB / 15928MiB 
        ::lcc1lcccccccccccccccccccccccco::::
          ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::                                 
            ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::                                   
               ::::::::::::::::::::::
                    ::::::::::::

Thank you so much for FINALLY releasing an install candidate for Linux. So far so good. First, I'm running Linux Mint 18.1 64-bit on an older ThinkPad with the Cinnamon DE...

Mint_Version.png

Second, the install went flawlessly - no permissions issue as reported above.

Once downloaded, ran installer as:
    Code:
    sudo dpkg -i FGUWebInstall.deb
    This installed the application into the Cinnamon DE under the category Other as Fantasy Grounds with the Fantasy Grounds icon showing. Clicking on this icon launched the updater and all updates went successfully after logging in and entering license key for Unity. From updater, I launched the app and the main landing screen came up. I then checked on directory permissions and ownership. Everything looks fine for me; commands listed below followed by screenshot of results:

Code:
    ls -ltr /bin/FantasyGrounds

ls -ld /usr/share/smiteworks

ls -ltr /usr/share/smiteworks/
    ls -ltr /usr/share/smiteworks/fantasygrounds/
    ls -ltad /home/ben/.smiteworks
    ls -ltar /home/ben/.smiteworks/fgdata
    FantasyGrounds_Install.png

I have not yet attempted to create a new game or join an existing one. Will post more information as I dive in! Thanks again!!!
    Last edited by LordTripod; August 29th, 2020 at 20:47.

OK, went a little farther:

1. Created a new CoreRPG campaign and included my Castles & Crusades background
    2. Clicked through imports (there were not many) and options and got to the table top, C&C background logo and chat window
    3. Then looked down at my CPU temp monitor...

...and encountered the same issue I have been encountering when using Fantasy Grounds Classic via PlayOnLinux/Wine...CPU overheating that will burn up my laptop if I try to play.

I was really hoping with a native client on Linux that the CPU wouldn't get so jacked. This is really disappointing. Screenshot showing it is all FantasyGrounds related processes and hardware specs below. I don't have a dedicated graphics card in this laptop but I have decent RAM and a 2 core CPU with 2 threads per core (granted, over 5 years old, but still)...unless I can get the CPU overheating down to a reasonable level (82 Celsius / 181 Fahrenheit is insane!!! - NOTE: CPU temp not running Fantasy Grounds is 51 Celsius / 124 Fahrenheit, so that's a full 30 degree Celsius spike on CPU temp just from running a single app) ...

I fear I have wasted my money with Unity until a new machine is procured.

Attachment 38924

Code:
    ben@ben-ThinkPad-T430s 
    ~/Downloads $ sudo lscpu

Architecture:          x86_64
    CPU op-mode(s):        32-bit, 64-bit
    Byte Order:            Little Endian
    CPU(s):                4
    On-line CPU(s) list:   0-3
    Thread(s) per core:    2
    Core(s) per socket:    2
    Socket(s):             1
    NUMA node(s):          1
    Vendor ID:             GenuineIntel
    CPU family:            6
    Model:                 58
    Model name:            Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3520M CPU @ 2.90GHz
    Stepping:              9
    CPU MHz:               1378.519
    CPU max MHz:           3600.0000
    CPU min MHz:           1200.0000
    BogoMIPS:              5786.95
    Virtualization:        VT-x
    L1d cache:             32K
    L1i cache:             32K
    L2 cache:              256K
    L3 cache:              4096K
    NUMA node0 CPU(s):     0-3
    Flags:                 fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe syscall nx rdtscp lm constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts rep_good nopl xtopology nonstop_tsc aperfmperf pni pclmulqdq dtes64 monitor ds_cpl vmx smx est tm2 ssse3 cx16 xtpr pdcm pcid sse4_1 sse4_2 x2apic popcnt tsc_deadline_timer aes xsave avx f16c rdrand lahf_lm epb ssbd ibrs ibpb stibp kaiser tpr_shadow vnmi flexpriority ept vpid fsgsbase smep erms xsaveopt dtherm ida arat pln pts md_clear flush_l1d

ben@ben-ThinkPad-T430s 
    ~/Downloads $ free
                  total        used        free      shared  buff/cache   available
    Mem:       16125816     2149144     7770540      477408     6206132    13114344
    Swap:       7811068           0     7811068
    I can also provide my
    Code:
    lshw
    output report as well if it would be useful in anyone here helping me lower that CPU overheating. I had such high hopes...now I'm kinda bummed...
    Last edited by LordTripod; August 29th, 2020 at 21:07.

Converted it to an Arch package, and installed.

Updating works, loaded a campaign and that works.
    Same problem, mouse wheel is going in reverse but no stutter.
    Loaded my campaign. Maps are at their max size and cant zoom in or out with the mouse wheel. Zoom to fit button works, and I can move the map view around, but no zooming in or out. Don't know if that is a FGU thing or a bug in this installation.
    Dice are behaving as expected (as in they are working fine
    Combat works, not as well as Classic but thats the same as Windows/Mac FGU as well from my brief try out.

I'll report anything else I discover.

EDIT: CPU is running at around 10% most of the time (watching cores jumping around but its nothing like FGC on Wine, that makes the fans kick in quite a lot.
    Last edited by Jiminimonka; August 29th, 2020 at 21:40.

Line of Sight tools is super responsive compared to when I used it on windows.

I've tested this as much as creating an Arch installer that I can upload to the AUR if people want.

As others have pointed out, the App Directory needs write permission in order to update the application (including the initial download), because it's trying to download the application to protected space. What FGU should probably do is similar how Steam does it, which is the package that gets downloaded and installed from the website is just the installer (which FGU is) but then the application is downloaded and installed into the users home directory (FGU does not currently do this). The data directory seems to default to /home/<USER>/.smiteworks/fgdata so logically a good place for the application may be /home/<USER>/.smiteworks/fgapp since the user will already have write access there.

Obviously this causes duplicated data for multi user systems, but those users could change the app directory and setup permissions for it outside of FGU.

Quote Originally Posted by tgm4883 View Post
    I've tested this as much as creating an Arch installer that I can upload to the AUR if people want.
    I want, please.
    Especially if it works properly.

Quote Originally Posted by Jafo View Post
    I want, please.
    Especially if it works properly.
    I'm not sure how well it works, as I'm currently only a demo user (just started looking at FG and roll20), but here's the AUR package I've made. I've also made it to install in /opt rather than /usr/share. It will also still complain about not being able to write to the app directory but if you hit cancel you can go to the advanced settings and choose a place in your home directory for it (I chose ~/FGU)

https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/f...undsinstaller/

Hi. I tried to use it on my laptop Linux with Ubuntu 20.04 last night and couldn't log in. The message of wrong username and/or password keeps showing, but I'm logged with the exact same account in the windows application.

Thread Information