STAR TREK 2d20
Page 64 of 71 First ... 14546263646566 ... Last

Thread: Linux Testing

I updated to Fedora 35 and all is well with the exception of the exit of the program. It now hangs up and never closes. The review of activity indicates it is in a cycle of writes to the HD (if that helps). I know this is not the supported distro and Fedora is bleeding edge when it comes to changes/updates, both in frequency of releases and changes to the OS. I figure this may be upstream for Ubuntu and could be something that, down the road, be an issue (like the x11 stuff).

Edit: It turns out there is an issue with the new audio drivers and this is causing FGU to hang on close. Once I found a fix to the audio issues, FGU was back to working. In particular: wireplumber vs. pipewire. So replacing wireplumber and going back to pipwire fixes the issues. I figure I update here in case this app makes it into other distros.
    Last edited by nephranka; December 3rd, 2021 at 20:30.

How does one search this thread? Trying to answer the following:
    I have an issue with Ubuntu and Fantasy Grounds Unity where after an update of FG, user cannot connect to GM Games. Hangs on "Attempting to connect to resolved host name," and then nothing happens.
    Miraculously seems to work again days later after a few shutdowns. I'm attempting to get further details from the user.

More than likely, this is related to some sort of firewall or security software blocking connections either on the player or GM side. At least, that's what it usually relates to for Windows machines with similar issues.

Regards,
    JPG

Thanks, Moon Wizard. I thought of that, however, no firewall reconfiguration is happening from the times it works until the times it doesn't. Seems to only happen after a FG Unity update, and then starts working again later. (After another Unity update is applied I think. Still working on collecting data on that.)

Blog Entries
    Could be flood protection. An update can result in a large amount of data that has to resent from the host to the client, hence tripping router level flood protection. Which resolve itself after multiple attempts over elapsed time.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Thanks, LordEntrails, I'll see if I can get ahold of any firewall logs on the Ubuntu box. Doesn't happen to the Windows machine on the same WiFi network, so it's probably not the WiFi router.

Well, It's not a firewall issue. None running. A second Ubuntu box runs just fine. The problem box is an i5 one generation newer and has a different video card, aside from that, same MFR and similarly configured. Still sorting out any other details. I'll see if I can figure out how to pull log files from FGU and see if there's any relevant info there.

I'm really struggling here and must have made an error somewhere along the line but I can't for the life of me figure out what it is. I'm trying to install FGU for a user in Manjaro. I downloaded the FGUWebInstall.bin only a couple of hours ago go into the command line and chmod +x with no issue. I get the installer running and this is what I see.

./files.tar
    ./installer
    Installing Fantasy Grounds Unity...
    tee: /root/.local/share/applications/FantasyGrounds.desktop: No such file or directory
    chmod: cannot access '/root/.local/share/applications/FantasyGrounds.desktop': No such file or directory
    Launching Fantasy Grounds Updater...

The updater comes up it asks me where to install the data, I select /home/username/.smiteworks, check the folder and continue then it has me log in. I log in no issues and when I go to settings the app directory is /root/.smiteworks/fantasygrounds and the install fails. At no point can I dictate that the app directory be under /home/username like the data directory. At no point do I log in as root.

What step am I missing?

I would appear that you're trying to run the installer as root. Not healthy.

I'm not logged in as root, I don't switch user during the installation and the user has only been made a member of the wheel group to be able to use sudo. It is a clean install of linux and a brand new user account. I follow the steps outlined https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassia...lling+on+Linux and that is the output. I can't find any explanation as to why it attempts to install as root in the first place because I make no requests for it to do so. If I try to run ./FGUWebInstall.bin without sudo I get a slightly different failure.

./files.tar
    ./installer
    Installing Fantasy Grounds Unity...
    mkdir: cannot create directory ‘/home/username/.smiteworks/fantasygrounds’: Permission denied
    tar: /home/username/.smiteworks/fantasygrounds: Cannot open: No such file or directory
    tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now
    tee: /home/username/.smiteworks/fantasygrounds/FantasyGrounds.x86_64: No such file or directory
    chmod: cannot access '/home/username/.smiteworks/fantasygrounds/FantasyGrounds.x86_64': No such file or directory
    tee: /home/username/.local/share/applications/FantasyGrounds.desktop: No such file or directory
    chmod: cannot access '/home/username/.local/share/applications/FantasyGrounds.desktop': No such file or directory
    Launching Fantasy Grounds Updater...

Thread Information