STAR TREK 2d20
Page 44 of 71 First ... 34424344454654 ... Last

Thread: Linux Testing

I enabled IPv6 on my PC by removing "ipv6.disable=1" from my kernel parameters and the logs were emailed out last night.

Quote Originally Posted by Adasiek View Post
    It took me a while to figure out there must be 'sudo' before this chmod command

sudo chmod +x /whole path of the file

and then sudo and the path of the file

The installations started, but crashed, saying some file is missing fantasygrounds.desktop

There was an advice on page 21 of this thread,

"You probably should not be installing as root now with the new install process.
    I'd suggest removing everything again as root, then drop back to your normal user and install there. Make sure your normal users is "clean" as well as per earlier instructions."

but I don't know what it means.
    Did you get it working Adasiek?

Hello linux friends! I recently stumbled into a problem and a solution and I figured I would document it here in case anybody else encounters it in the future. I apologize if this has already been discussed, I'll remove this promptly if that's the case.

I ran FGUInstaller.bin on my Arch PC and after completing the installation wizard, I found that I had booted into a main menu with missing text almost everywhere except in the logs, which made the GUI quite impossible to navigate as you can imagine!

If you encounter this issue, no worries, the solution is very simple. You are just missing the necessary microsoft fonts on your system. In Arch you can install the ttf-ms-fonts package from the AUR. You may have to look up a different package depending on your specific distro.

If you are dual booting linux and windows, you also have the option of creating a sym link pointing to the fonts folder in your windows partition, as described in this article!

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Microsoft_fonts

Cheers, hopefully this proves helpful to somebody.
    Last edited by MattyMutt; December 31st, 2020 at 05:01.

Quote Originally Posted by MattyMutt View Post
    I recently stumbled into a problem and a solution and I figured I would document it here in case anybody else encounters it in the future.
    I ran FGUInstaller.bin on my Arch PC and after completing the installation wizard, I found that I had booted into a main menu with missing text almost everywhere except in the logs, which made the GUI quite impossible to navigate as you can imagine!
    If you encounter this issue, no worries, the solution is very simple. You are just missing the necessary microsoft fonts on your system. In Arch you can install the ttf-ms-fonts package from the AUR. You may have to look up a different package depending on your specific distro.
    Thanks, MattyMutt! I'll track down the Microsoft font packages for different OSes and distros and post them in the Customer Portal. Thanks for sharing your solution!

No sweat! That's a wonderful idea!

Quote Originally Posted by MattyMutt View Post
    Hello linux friends! I recently stumbled into a problem and a solution and I figured I would document it here in case anybody else encounters it in the future. I apologize if this has already been discussed, I'll remove this promptly if that's the case.

If you are dual booting linux and windows, you also have the option of creating a sym link pointing to the fonts folder in your windows partition, as described in this article!

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Microsoft_fonts

Cheers, hopefully this proves helpful to somebody. I will add a picture of what the problem looks like precisely when I get back on my PC tonight~
    Wow, thank you. This was the problem I was having.

Quote Originally Posted by Jiminimonka View Post
    Did you get it working Adasiek?
    Hi, unfortunately not, I went through tons of tutorials online,
    and I came up to a conclusion that Linux is designed not for me.

I used the following version of Linux:
    Linux version 5.4.0-48-generic (buildd@lcy01-amd64-010) (gcc version 9.3.0 (Ubuntu 9.3.0-10ubuntu2)) #52-Ubuntu SMP Thu Sep 10 10:58:49 UTC 2020

Anyways, thank you for your replies
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Adasiek View Post
    Hi, unfortunately not, I went through tons of tutorials online,
    and I came up to a conclusion that Linux is designed not for me.

I used the following version of Linux:
    Linux version 5.4.0-48-generic (buildd@lcy01-amd64-010) (gcc version 9.3.0 (Ubuntu 9.3.0-10ubuntu2)) #52-Ubuntu SMP Thu Sep 10 10:58:49 UTC 2020

Anyways, thank you for your replies
    You literally have to open your Ubuntu terminal and paste in

chmod +x ./FGUWebInstall.bin && ./FGUWebInstall.bin (open a terminal in the download folder where you downloaded FGUWebInstall.bin)

Then follow the prompts.

If you cant see the text refer to https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...864#post567864

FGU Linux Updating

I've been using FGU on Linux for a while now, and obviously have been hitting CHECK FOR UPDATES on a regular basis. I know it is updating my products, but on Linux is the core FGU engine being updated? On Windows it is, but Linux can be a different animal when it comes to updating applications. I had a problem awhile ago and I was told to reinstall (which did fix the issue) because there was a new "build". If Linux users need to manually upgrade, how do we find out when there is a new build?

Just looking for some clarity on keeping my Linux FGU up to date.

Thanks,
    WR

Yes its being updated at the same time as the lesser OS. 4.0.6 is the latest build.

Thread Information