DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 2 of 2 First 12
    There's no business case for core features? My support case = "no demand"? I get it. "Go away Mr. Customer, we hate you."

Can do fellas. You just lost a customer.

Here is some more "non-demand" for the feature.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...pply-correctly

Quote Originally Posted by BillTheButcher View Post
    There's no business case for core features? My support case = "no demand"? I get it. "Go away Mr. Customer, we hate you."

Can do fellas. You just lost a customer.
    You need to think about that FG supports many other rulesets, and yes, in comparison with 5e, "our demands" are pretty small compared with what the 5e community wants So, the demand exists, but is small compared with other demands and has not as high priority as other things (like the new features coming with unity). Of course, their resources focus first on 5e when implementing something like this FG mainly focussed on combat automation when it is about automation, and that was a good decision because that is more frequent than the need to change something in the sheet Other programmes instead focussed on other things but lack therefore the stuff what you have in FG

EDIT: no-one wants to negate your desired feature(s) of course, I hope you do not read it as such
    Last edited by Kelrugem; August 26th, 2020 at 18:49.

A few of us users asking (and in a few cases demanding - hint hint) for a feature just isn't the same as a financially-worthwhile demand, unfortunately.
    If you bought FG recently they have a 30 day return window (which is incredibly generous compared to most of the paid software industry).
    Last edited by bmos; August 26th, 2020 at 18:52.

Most of the responses you get on the forums are from community members, not official contacts. So far, I'm the only one from SmiteWorks that has responded in this thread.

While I appreciate your position, we have tried to be clear that we do not sell ourselves as a full character management solution whenever questions are brought up. As mentioned by others, we are a small company with a finite number of resources trying to cover a lot of ground.

If you feel like the product does not meet your needs, we do offer a 30-day no questions money-back guarantee on all purchases from our web site.

Regards,
    JPG

As has already been stated, FG is not a character generation application. It's a VTT (Virtual Table Top) that simulates playing RPG systems with your friends over the Internet. Historically it has never done anything but the most basic of character generation - and it has always been up to the player to setup their PC how they want it to work within Fantasy Grounds. There has been various importers created to allow you to import PCs from outside FG, but they import the stats and data without any intelligence - it's up to the player to setup how they want their PC to work in FG.

The automation aspects of Fantasy Grounds have, as mentioned above, historically been around automation the aspects once you start playing - combat, etc.. However, with D&D 5e that changed because WotC used very repeatable language in their ability/spell/feat descriptions allowing the ruleset to make a best effort at parsing out basic effects from the ability description. It still doesn't do this 100% accurately - just look at the many additions available from developers outside of SmiteWorks on DMs Guild. As Paizo don't use repeatable wording for their thousands of PF1e abilities, feats, etc. even the beginnings of applying any automation aren't possible. Hence why something similar to the 5e parsing has never even been considered for Pathfinder 1e, and hand coding everything (even if it's considered "core") is a huge task, and goes away from the design philosophy mentioned.

BillTheButcher - I get it, your expectations were higher of what managing a character would be in Fantasy Grounds. But I'm afraid this level of automation in PF1e character maintenance has never been advertised nor envisaged. I'm sorry, but it is working as designed. I know it's not what you want to hear, but this is the situation.

I may have misread your posts, but it sounds like you're importing PCs a lot from PC Gen - maybe even each time they level or make changes? If that is the case, I'd recommend importing the PC when first created and then only maintain the PC in FG - by all means, use PC Gen outside of FG to level up and make sure the sums are right, but then manually apply those changes to the existing PC in FG. This will mean that previous abilities/effects are maintained and so things like this won't be forgotten. Once you're familiar with FG it really isn't much of an overhead and, in fact, players will prefer this approach anyway as they will have setup their actions, effects, weapons, spells, etc. just how they want them in FG and won't want that to be overwritten by a data import from a third-party character generator. This is what most players do even in those rulesets that have a bit more automation around character maintenance than PF1e.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

I wholeheartedly disagree with what both of you are saying since I see a full implementation of feats as a core concept of the Pathfinder game, and Weapon Focus / Specialization are probably the two most commonly used. It's clear there is no intention to finish the ruleset so I will just make do with the workaround you've given me, much as I dislike it.

From my perspective, Fantasy Grounds has a big "Pathfinder" logo on its home page, which was one reason I bought it. Not the only reason, but one. It doesn't say "Pathfinder 2e only", or "Partial Pathfinder implementation". I took that to mean all aspects fo the game would be functional in the ruleset, including feats. I didn't buy your product to hear a bunch of hackish business excuses explaining why the $100 I spent does not entitle me to complete implementations of the games I play that are advertised on your home page.

Unfortunately, I am outside the incredibly generous 30-day return window, because I have been running Savage Worlds until now, and that ruleset was complete for my needs. I'll stick with the product, and maybe switch to a different game down the road, although I specifically don't care for the Pathfinder 2e rules. That's why I'm playing 1e.

Thread Information