FG Spreadshirt Swag
Page 3 of 4 First 1234 Last
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalton Calford View Post
    Hey MBM,
    How are you dealing with distances?
    I have been playing for a (very, very, Methuselah time frames) time.
    I still have my copy of Mayday from CT in its original box.
    From what I can see, you are dealing with MGT2's theatre of the mind style combat and the issues involving what can be, a tactical miniature war game.
    MGT2 is wonderful in that they went back into CT's LBB 2 combat ranges, where you can have an entire vectored combat over a world surface (the template for earth was about 10cm across once you had the gravity ranges in place, while gas giants would consume the entire map.)
    Mayday made every hex 30,000km which became the standard from then on, which took 90% of the fun of the game, away.
    I use a modified version of Mayday - movement is per mayday, all rolls/combat/damage is per MGT2 while the underlying hexes are 1,000km
    Adjacent = Same hex but you need to roll to keep adjacent
    Close =Same hex
    Short = up to 2 hexes
    Medium = 3-10 Hexes
    Long = 11-25 Hexes (about 1 hex range in the old style games)
    Distant = 26+ Hexes.

So world Templates would lock to hexes and include not only the world image but would have the gravity vector hexes as well.
    You have your "Current" location and a marker for your location next turn.

In other words, simple vector combat, on an interesting board, while supporting MGT2 mechanics.
    All of the game mechanics where worked out over 30 years ago. If you are interested I can provide graphics and explanations.

So, a translation from the theatre of the mind to a mix of board/rpg game for combat.
    You are limited by "producing what mongoose has published" but I have talked with Mathew many times and he is open to new ideas, send him an email and get his thoughts.

Just a thought.
    Hi Dalton,

There's no method to deal with distances at this time, if there was I'd have added something for grenades/blast weapons.

My only current though with Spacecraft as they move between distance bands is to allow effects, but that requires the Referee to remove/apply new when they do move.

If someone can think of a better system then I'm all ears!

Cheers,
    MBM
    Ruleset and much more content built for FGU.
    Come join me on Twitter at: https://twitter.com/MadBeardMan to see what I'm up to!

Quote Originally Posted by MadBeardMan View Post
    Hi Dalton,

There's no method to deal with distances at this time, if there was I'd have added something for grenades/blast weapons.

My only current though with Spacecraft as they move between distance bands is to allow effects, but that requires the Referee to remove/apply new when they do move.

If someone can think of a better system then I'm all ears!

Cheers,
    MBM
    Can you have a default space background (no grids/hexes) snap to a hex grid applied from FGU?
    I can do a writeup for how Mayday from various versions of traveller worked - it is very simple.

I can provide some graphic templates (size 1 to size 10 worlds, space ships etc)
    We can even do some online discussion/testing of the mechanics/process.
    Let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by adzling View Post
    Hi dalton, I'd like to see your work to combine Mayday and MGT2e's theater of the mind system.
    this is exactly what we are aiming for in our game.
    thanks
    Hi adzling,
    I may get around to doing a formal writeup, but, most of my stuff has been games between people who all have experience with all the previous systems, so very little is formally written.

Right now, I am in the middle of a very big task.
    I created a series of graphic templates for Sectors/Quadrants/SubSectors/J6maps/Worlds and I shared them with some people on the Traveller FB groups.
    I have also downloaded all the data for Melieu 1105 from the Travellermap and I have gotten the source code from Explanator which creates all sorts of background details (about 4 pages worth) for a world from a T5 UPP.
    I have created a spreadsheet that I have imported all the data from Travellermap, it is currently being used to fix/correct/fix various missing/incorrect data and I have it generating all the docs with even more details including stuff from DGP's world builders handbook and T4's wbh. I have also included extra details from lots of different sources (which I am still working on).
    The spreadsheet, using the data and the templates, is generating SVG maps using the templates that I created.
    I am also using Fractal World Explorer and CC3/cosmographer to auto generate world maps using command line instructions, created from the spreadsheet.
    So, with the fantasy grounds AUTHOR extension, I am creating/learning how to create, modules for FGU/MGT2 so that I will have a full IMTU (in my traveller universe) ISS (interstellar scout service) melieu 1105 grand survey for my MGT2 FGU games.
    As long as I get that done, I am thinking of sharing them with the group.
    Needless to say, these would not be official and would have information far beyond anything the MGT2 stuff has.

So, even with all the automation, testing, screwups, bash files, batch files and finally revisions which forces me to start from the beginning again, it takes about three weeks to generate one set of output if I skip the world maps (that takes forever).

Hopefully I will have more spare time in a few weeks to finish stuff up and polish it enough for my use.

Best regards
    Dalton

Hi Dalton,

As it's been mentioned before, there's no way to find the distance between 1 token and another using script. I asked just a couple of weeks back and was told it's not reliable.

So at this moment, there's no way to know distance between 1 ship and another.

Cheers,
    MBM
    Come join me on Twitter at: https://twitter.com/MadBeardMan to see what I'm up to!

Quote Originally Posted by MadBeardMan View Post
    Hi Dalton,

As it's been mentioned before, there's no way to find the distance between 1 token and another using script. I asked just a couple of weeks back and was told it's not reliable.

So at this moment, there's no way to know distance between 1 ship and another.

Cheers,
    MBM
    I was thinking of a visible grid that everything just snapped to, so that the GM/players can manually count the distances.
    Perhaps with buttons down by the difficulties, to pick a distance that applies a modifier to hit.
    ?
    Just thinking.
    Also, you could mechanically treat multiple of the same weapon in the same turrent as just a different weapon ie
    Single Turret Beam Laser 1d6
    Dual Turret Beam Laser 1d6+1 etc

You can add a grid to any graphic, so....

Quote Originally Posted by LordNanoc View Post
    But that seems so complex...

Quote Originally Posted by LordNanoc View Post
    Even hex ones thats what i have used some space background with hexes each hex being 1 range band.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramid View Post
    Even hex ones thats what i have used some space background with hexes each hex being 1 range band.
    That's how we do it.
    It's a provisorium, but good enough for the moment

Hi Folks,

I've just been informed that the HIgh Guard release is next week, that's the 8th December 2020.

Now I've got a few things I want to finish before its released, so I'll do my best as the cut-off for updates is this Friday.

v1.1.6 should have been released today, so there's a very basic Ship CT, so I'll focus my efforts onto a PC ship. Wish me luck.

So please buy if if you want the ships/book info etc and support the work here, but please don't expect everything will be catered for, High Guard on the surface is a ships catalogue but there's a Ship Builde and lots of data.

Cheers,
    MBM

Thread Information