DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Armor Quickness Penalty

Hi there!

I am not sure if the Quickness penalty bonus is being applied to the Defensive Bonus due to the AT (see attached image: chain 13, -5 to Quickness, for instance) regardless the encumbrance. I have fiddled with the QU penalties and it isn't picking them up no matter what I set it to. The AT Quickness penalty is being cancelled by the Str Bonus no matter the encumbrance penalty.

I have discussed this before with Wolfshield Games in one of his cool videos and he said that Dakadin was going to look into it. I only wanted to know how it is going.

Regards!

armor.jpg
    Last edited by Pepor; August 24th, 2020 at 14:43.

Hi Pepor,

Yes, he mentioned it to me. I have it on my list but have been juggling a few things lately. Hopefully, I can review it this week for next weeks release.

Dakadin

Hi Pepor,

I've been looking into this and plan on having a fix in for the next release which won't be until September 1st. I still have to figure out the best way to implement it since it looks like this has been an issue since before I took over the ruleset. I might just make it an option that is off by default so I don't cause issues with existing campaigns.

Dakadin

Hi there Dakadin!

No problem. It is a core rule from the Rolemaster Classic rulebook, so I am not sure whether it should be considered an option. Anyway, thanks for your time and effort.

Pepor.

I was mainly thinking about making some options for it because encumbrance and the quickness penalty haven't been working according to the core rules and implementing it would possibly cause confusion. I can see people asking why is my BMR only 15 now. I would initially set it to not include it and then change it later to match what the core ruleset a month or two later so it is less likely to impact existing campaigns but they can always just turn it on if they want to use it.

Hi Pepor,

I went through the code to fix this last night and it was definitely my fault during the conversion to CoreRPG. Some of the fields are in different locations in the XML so the old code wasn't finding the fields to reduce the strength bonus. I also updated the stat bonus fields (DB section of the Combat tab and Move and Init detail window) to show the impact of the armor quickness bonus. I am working on an icon to indicate that it is being reduced based on the armor quickness penalty with a tool tip to give the details.

Also for the option, it isn't for the armor quickness penalty but for the encumbrance penalty affecting the BMR. I added a new field to the Move and Init detail window after rereading the encumbrance rules. This will allow a GM turn on or off the encumbrance penalties. I will hide the new field and not include it in the calculation when the option is off. Attached is a screenshot.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,
    Dakadin
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Dakadin; August 26th, 2020 at 19:28.

Hi Dakadin,

I really like the new Move and Init breakdown. Regarding the option to turn off/on the encumbrance penatly, what are you going to do if it is off? I mean, if the Strength stat bonus is greater than their encumbrance penalty, the difference may be used to cancel all or part of the character’s armor Quickness penalty, but if that encumbrance penalty is not being considered, then what?

Thank you for letting me know your improvements.

Pepor.

Hi Pepor,

Good points. I reread the rules for armor quickness penalty and encumbrance and then did various tests to see how it was working in the ruleset. That is when I found where the issue was in the armor quickness penalty. It made me realize that the encumbrance penalty was being calculated but never used in the ruleset. The issue is the encumbrance penalty was never adjusting the BMR in the ruleset the way it should have. So I decided to add it in but I don't want any change anyone's campaign if they don't want to use it that way since I think most people doing it in person wouldn't use encumbrance unless it was for specific situations or ones that fit the story. Here is I currently have implemented with the option off: 2020-08-27_7-40-28.png

and with the option on: 2020-08-27_7-41-22.png

Any suggestions for how you think it should be changed? I will turn the code over to Smiteworks tonight so it can be in the Tuesday release so there isn't a lot of time for it unless I hold off the release another week.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,
    Dakadin

Hi Dakadin,

You are right, I think people almost never use it in person and they may not even want to use it online. What I suggest if it is OFF, is to apply the Quickness Penalty no matter what the character's strength is.

I wouldn't remove the Encumbrance field either, it looks weird to have a gap there. I would leave it but with a "zero" modifier or a "hyphen" with a tool tip to give the details (not applied in this case).

PS: In the attached images, the option should appear OFF, not ON. My mistake.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Pepor; August 27th, 2020 at 20:17.

Hi Pepor,

The quickness penalty still applies and the strength bonus will still be reduced by the encumbrance modifier before applying to the quickness bonus regardless of what the option is set to. The option is just whether someone wants to use the encumbrance penalty against the BMR.

Good point about the window looking weird with the gap there. I have an idea how to do it differently that I will test out tonight. Basically, I am thinking about adding an icon to the encumbrance field and the stat bonus field if a quickness penalty is applied. If it looks good then I will do it that way instead of the way the screen shots look. The icon will have a tool tip to explain why the field doesn't show the expected value. Hopefully this will eliminate any confusion with it.

Dakadin

Thread Information