DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 9 of 13 First ... 7891011 ... Last
    It works with the brackets, so I'm set. I just expected it to behave the same as a PC sheet in regards to affecting Toughness. No biggie. I just didnt want to create a ton of monsters and need to go back and edit later if I continued this path.

Is there a way to automatically add an effect to a weapon damage (I.e. an entangle grenade [#Bound] or [#Entangled] or a shotgun on a raise, causing knockdown [#Prone]

Currently, no. An extension may be able to do that. It's on my list.

I've recently started messing around with SWADE and have looked through the wiki and some of the undocumented features thread and I feel like I have a fairly decent grasps of the basics as far as items creation and effects and the like. I'm working on a personal module based off of a fan-made add-on/conversion and a particular piece of armor has brought up a question. The armor is an armored spacesuit that is listed as granting -4 AP to ballistic attacks. I interpret this to be that it is fortified against physical things like space debris or bullets but in my mind it makes sense that it would also be strengthened against average bludgeoning/piercing/slashing attacks.

So my actual question is this: is there some way that I can tell the ruleset that the standard keywords of bullet/bludgeoning/etc are all equal to something like "kinetic" so that I can then just use an effect of [@Kinetic AP -4] or do I need to try and make sure I'm naming every possible keyword along the lines of [@Bullet|Bludgeoning|Piercing|Slashing AP -4]?

I'm new to SWADE but I have been using FGU for 5e for a few years and I fear that the answer is going to be that I can't do the simple "kinetic" thing without an extension of some sort that would tell FGU that those other keywords all mean the same. If that's the case, are there any knowledgeable extension writers for SWADE that might tell me if that would be feasible or how difficult, and maybe point me towards some resources that would help me figure out how to write it? I know very little about coding something from scratch myself, but I've been able to look through extensions in the past and figure out what's going on enough to modify a thing or two that I've wanted for my games.

Quote Originally Posted by miked2681 View Post
    I've recently started messing around with SWADE and have looked through the wiki and some of the undocumented features thread and I feel like I have a fairly decent grasps of the basics as far as items creation and effects and the like. I'm working on a personal module based off of a fan-made add-on/conversion and a particular piece of armor has brought up a question. The armor is an armored spacesuit that is listed as granting -4 AP to ballistic attacks. I interpret this to be that it is fortified against physical things like space debris or bullets but in my mind it makes sense that it would also be strengthened against average bludgeoning/piercing/slashing attacks.

So my actual question is this: is there some way that I can tell the ruleset that the standard keywords of bullet/bludgeoning/etc are all equal to something like "kinetic" so that I can then just use an effect of [@Kinetic AP -4] or do I need to try and make sure I'm naming every possible keyword along the lines of [@Bullet|Bludgeoning|Piercing|Slashing AP -4]?

I'm new to SWADE but I have been using FGU for 5e for a few years and I fear that the answer is going to be that I can't do the simple "kinetic" thing without an extension of some sort that would tell FGU that those other keywords all mean the same. If that's the case, are there any knowledgeable extension writers for SWADE that might tell me if that would be feasible or how difficult, and maybe point me towards some resources that would help me figure out how to write it? I know very little about coding something from scratch myself, but I've been able to look through extensions in the past and figure out what's going on enough to modify a thing or two that I've wanted for my games.
    Someone may respond with a better option; but it's also possible to copy only the records that you desire, adding the Kinetic keyword to those.

Say your ruleset has a club and some pistols, you'd grab those in the items list to copy, then edit and replace their keywords with Kinetic - this would have the effect you'd want. This could be easier than writing your keywords out a bunch of times, depending on the items to copy
    Games Running:
    WePF Second Darkness (Pathfinder 1e)
    Raven's Purge - Saturdays (Forbidden Lands)
    SavageWorlds Sci-Fi Sundays (SWADE)
    Savage Worlds Gameday Thursdays (SWADE)

To start off with just cause something is more resistant to Ballistic attacks doesn't mean that it is just as good against others. Kevlar armor works by binding against a spinning object, while there are other stuff that can be added as modifications such as Stab proof plates and what not.

Setting that aside, I couldn't say how difficult it would be to code an extension that would make 1 keyword count as others and honestly I would guess that it probably cause more issues rather than less. That being said you can create Keywordslike Kinetic and #Kinetic [Ignore AP -4] or something along those lines (would need to test to check) in weapons, armor, and Effects list, if somebody hasn't already figured it out.

I will warn you that Savage Worlds setting has kinda been ahead of the curve due to Ikeal's efforts and piece by piece those parts are being incorporated into Core, but it is causing conflicts and problems. Effects should be safe enough I think but just a warning.
    Ultimate License Holder
    Current Campaign: Necessary Evil
    Current Project: Dawn of Daikaiju: Converting, Deadlands: Reloaded The last Sons - Quality Assurance Checking
    Discord: Mgrancey#4994
    "Mad Science" means never stopping to ask "what's the worst thing that could happen?" -- Maxim 14 of The Seventy Maxims of Maximally Effective Mercenaries
    Adventure: Keep Living Life Like There's No Tomorrow and You'll Eventually Be Right,

You could try to use the new Keyword system that Ikeal recently implemented. You would have to give ballistic weapons the "Ballistic" keyword (or Kinetic if you prefer) and then this armor would have an effect along the lines of [@Ballistic Damage -4]. This would reduce the damage by four from any source that had a Ballistic keyword.

Thanks for the responses. I sometimes have a tendency to overthink things and after considering it more I'll probably just go with the simplest solution of adding the "bullet" keyword in place of "ballistic" for that piece of armor.

I've got a couple more questions that I hope you good people will be able to answer.

First, I'm wondering if there's anything in the effects coding to change the recoil penalty. For examples, the Rock and Roll! edge ignores the recoil penalty, or perhaps a custom item would reduce the recoil penalty to -1. I've tried both [#Recoil -1] and [Recoil -1] with no success.

Second, is there a way to change the amount of ammunition used on a single attack? A custom item in a certain conversion has a type of blaster that can be charged for 1 full round and then when fired is supposed to use 5 charges of ammunition. I know it could be done manually, but I was curious if there were a way to do it through effect coding also.

Quote Originally Posted by miked2681 View Post
    I've got a couple more questions that I hope you good people will be able to answer.

First, I'm wondering if there's anything in the effects coding to change the recoil penalty. For examples, the Rock and Roll! edge ignores the recoil penalty, or perhaps a custom item would reduce the recoil penalty to -1. I've tried both [#Recoil -1] and [Recoil -1] with no success.

Second, is there a way to change the amount of ammunition used on a single attack? A custom item in a certain conversion has a type of blaster that can be charged for 1 full round and then when fired is supposed to use 5 charges of ammunition. I know it could be done manually, but I was curious if there were a way to do it through effect coding also.
    [>Ignore #Recoil] is the correct effect (I think, not at PC atm).

Thread Information