DICE PACKS BUNDLE

Thread: Vital Strike

Vital Strike

How are people handling this feat. The party fighter took it. I can create another weapon that includes it. The problem is the different combinations of combat feats for him are starting to get out of hand (Power Attack, Vital Strike, Enlarge Person...). He also has two main weapons that he uses (Greatsword and Trident)I expect this to get worse as he levels up.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Mike
    Official Grey Beard
    1. I actually have a grey beard
    2. I have been playing RPGs since 1978.

Yep. I have four variations of each weapon I use for the four combinations of enlarged and vital strike. To make it worse I also have Weapon Versatility, but that is easily solved by just applying a DMGTYPE effect. In theory you could use a DMG effect for Vital Strike, such as "Vital Strike; DMG: 2d6 slashing, precision" (for a greatsword) but precision, while it does turn off critical damage, is not 100% correct in all situations either. Different weapons is the most accurate way to solve this issue.

Quote Originally Posted by darrenan View Post
    Yep. I have four variations of each weapon I use for the four combinations of enlarged and vital strike. To make it worse I also have Weapon Versatility, but that is easily solved by just applying a DMGTYPE effect. In theory you could use a DMG effect for Vital Strike, such as "Vital Strike; DMG: 2d6 slashing, precision" (for a greatsword) but precision, while it does turn off critical damage, is not 100% correct in all situations either. Different weapons is the most accurate way to solve this issue.
    Ugh, I figured that was the case. Time to start creating the different weapons

btw, thank you for the response.
    Mike
    Official Grey Beard

Quote Originally Posted by darrenan View Post
    You do not need the damage type precision when you just want to turn off its crit The rules state that the only bonus types which are also multiplied in crits are the static ones, not the dice And FG does handle this, so DMG: 2d6 effects will not be multiplied in crits, so, no need to add additional damage types (While DMG: 3 would be multiplied) (or I misunderstood what you wrote; I do not know vital strike)

Quote Originally Posted by Kelrugem View Post
    I do not know vital strike)
    Prerequisites: Base attack bonus +6.

Benefit: When you use the attack action, you can make one attack at your highest base attack bonus that deals additional damage. Roll the weapon’s damage dice for the attack twice and add the results together before adding bonuses from Strength, weapon abilities (such as flaming), precision-based damage, and other damage bonuses. These extra weapon damage dice are not multiplied on a critical hit, but are added to the total.

Essentially, give up your iterative attack to roll your damage dice twice before modifiers. The extra dice are not multiplied on a crit.
    Mike
    Official Grey Beard

Quote Originally Posted by mhossom View Post
    Prerequisites: Base attack bonus +6.

Benefit: When you use the attack action, you can make one attack at your highest base attack bonus that deals additional damage. Roll the weapon’s damage dice for the attack twice and add the results together before adding bonuses from Strength, weapon abilities (such as flaming), precision-based damage, and other damage bonuses. These extra weapon damage dice are not multiplied on a critical hit, but are added to the total.

Essentially, give up your iterative attack to roll your damage dice twice before modifiers. The extra dice are not multiplied on a crit.
    Yeah, then my message was correct:

For example for a greatsword simply use DMG: 2d6 slashing (expire on next roll) They will not be multiplied on a crit (that is what I tried to explain in the last answer, FG does not multiply damage dice coming from effects, only fixed numbers ) So, no need to add the damage type precision (otherwise some wrong behaviours can occur as darrenan pointed out)
    Last edited by Kelrugem; August 23rd, 2020 at 01:41.

Never thought of doing it like that. Once again, thank you.
    Mike
    Official Grey Beard

Quote Originally Posted by mhossom View Post
    Never thought of doing it like that. Once again, thank you.

well, darrenan provided the solution I just slightly adjusted it regarding its critical behaviour I just made a screenshot, too: (okay, now not needed anymore, but since I spent short time on that, I post it )

Attached Images Attached Images

That's how I set it up. I created a "Spell" and added four different effects that I can use depending on the weapon used or if the player is enlarged.
    Mike
    Official Grey Beard

Thread Information