STAR TREK 2d20
Page 14 of 49 First ... 4121314151624 ... Last
    Quote Originally Posted by mordkhaan View Post
    Funny you say that as was just doing that as only ext was Polymorphism so thought, hmm, will remove and retry
    And yep, error still there
    Yeah not me - its a one time charsheet thing at initialization.

Your removed console log is in DMsG - give it a try and let me know if it fixed it. Only messages left on that should be the ones that go to system chat when they really are an issue (trying to do something with it) - not in the log simply due to display of it. Also let me know it still works in general
    Free(Forums/Forge) Extension(FGU 5E):
    Paid (Forge) Extension(FGU 5E):

Quote Originally Posted by SilentRuin View Post
    Yeah not me - its a one time charsheet thing at initialization.

Your removed console log is in DMsG - give it a try and let me know if it fixed it. Only messages left on that should be the ones that go to system chat when they really are an issue (trying to do something with it) - not in the log simply due to display of it. Also let me know it still works in general
    Sorry, dragged away from this important business!
    Updated and messages are gone from console log!
    Speedy service as always

V1.16 - Bug - Fixed effects for different polymorph spells that are applied to be GMONLY visible as it was displaying an icon on token giving away fact that the token was not what it seemed. Always been this way - shocked it was I who first noticed it just now.

I sell this so other people can debug this for me! What's the point if I'm the one finding all the bugs!

This has been there always. While I thought I was being sneaky sending in a critter that was not what it appeared - little did I know their was an effect widget on the token declaring to all (I am shapeshifter or shapechanger or polymorph or etc.).

So I've put together a little campaign with werewolves, that I made three copies of, set them up as the "humanoid" version, "hybrid" version, and "wolf" version, the stat blocks reflected what the form could and could not do, and custom tokens for each form. I set each of them up to have the other two shapes in them so I could drop whatever initial shape I wanted into an encounter and then have them shapeshift as needed.

All works great in the campaign!

Then I export it as a module and import it into another campaign....and the shape shifting (while looking right in the sheet) turns into something else....like It'll say "werewolf (hybrid)" as to what it will turn into when I hit activate, but it turns into a swarm or some other creature instead. Am I pushing this extension beyond it's intention? Are exports expected to not work?

Quote Originally Posted by drempel View Post
    So I've put together a little campaign with werewolves, that I made three copies of, set them up as the "humanoid" version, "hybrid" version, and "wolf" version, the stat blocks reflected what the form could and could not do, and custom tokens for each form. I set each of them up to have the other two shapes in them so I could drop whatever initial shape I wanted into an encounter and then have them shapeshift as needed.

All works great in the campaign!

Then I export it as a module and import it into another campaign....and the shape shifting (while looking right in the sheet) turns into something else....like It'll say "werewolf (hybrid)" as to what it will turn into when I hit activate, but it turns into a swarm or some other creature instead. Am I pushing this extension beyond it's intention? Are exports expected to not work?
    I've done that with werewolves also as you just did - just have to be careful to remember to use the right keyword (shapechanger(dead when killed)/shapeshifter(shifts back to original form with carry over damage)) - pretty sure its shapechanger for those guys but like I said I never remember without looking.

Export of an NPC will do whatever the (not my extension) FGU stuff does. And while it will be able to be imported to another campaign I doubt it can be smart enough to know what indexes are in the new campaign and translate them. Think of it this way - forget my extension - you have some data that has an index (child) reference accessing local data. That index will not be the same anywhere but in the campaign you assigned it in. Yes, you might get lucky - and it will work if you've literally copied the campaign (I make seed campaigns for things I plan to run more than once and copy them completely when I start a new campaign of it) because all the indexes will naturally remain the same. But import something? Either with an xml or a .mod file? Then the indexes recorded in that data will very likely not match the local campaign you dropped them in because they are randomly generated by the database. So NPC (or whatever DB node your dealing with) child index 0001 in original campaign pointed to "wolf" version but in new campaign the new index for it was 0005. You run the stuff and it looks up 0001 in your new DB and comes back with "butterflies". A dangerous transformation. But it is what it is in the world of child indexes not being compatible between different DB's.

My advice is never stick something in a .mod that has any predefined polymorphism selections. But if you do - remember to clear them and reset them (which will set new indexes of local DB).

Oh and if you had referenced those critters from a manual - or another .mod - then it would have a different reference into the .mod (which does not use indexes of local DB copies) and would work in your exported .mod.

So rule of thumb - if you export something make sure it only references other .mod data - never the local DB data - or else you will suffer the fate of local child indexes not being the same in the new DB.
    Last edited by SilentRuin; March 25th, 2021 at 21:03.

I've done that with werewolves also as you just did - just have to be careful to remember to use the right keyword (shapechanger(dead when killed)/shapeshifter(shifts back to original form with carry over damage)) - pretty sure its shapechanger for those guys but like I said I never remember without looking.

Export of an NPC will do whatever the (not my extension) FGU stuff does. And while it will be able to be imported to another campaign I doubt it can be smart enough to know what indexes are in the new campaign and translate them. Think of it this way - forget my extension - you have some data that has an index (child) reference accessing local data. That index will not be the same anywhere but in the campaign you assigned it in. Yes, you might get lucky - and it will work if you've literally copied the campaign (I make seed campaigns for things I plan to run more than once and copy them completely when I start a new campaign of it) because all the indexes will naturally remain the same. But import something? Either with an xml or a .mod file? Then the indexes recorded in that data will very likely not match the local campaign you dropped them in because they are randomly generated by the database. So NPC (or whatever DB node your dealing with) child index 0001 in original campaign pointed to "wolf" version but in new campaign the new index for it was 0005. You run the stuff and it looks up 0001 in your new DB and comes back with "butterflies". A dangerous transformation. But it is what it is in the world of child indexes not being compatible between different DB's.

My advice is never stick something in a .mod that has any predefined polymorphism selections. But if you do - remember to clear them and reset them (which will set new indexes of local DB).
    Yeah I wondered if they were indexed by some sort of local ID instead of GUID (I haven't tried to do any extension programming so I'm not sure what the capbilities are). Be nice if there were GUID's you could use for NPC indexing but sounds like that's way beyond the scope of what your extension is capable of and instead would need Smiteworks to make some changes.

It's fine, it's for a one shot I'm planning on running so I'll copy the campaign and import characters for when I run it. I'll have to make the "master" file for the module just not have any of the polymorph stuff in it and if I plan to run it again in an ongoing campaign I'll load it and set up the shapeshift linkage each time I need to.

Edited my response quite a bit so you'll probably want to reread it.

Quote Originally Posted by drempel View Post
    Yeah I wondered if they were indexed by some sort of local ID instead of GUID (I haven't tried to do any extension programming so I'm not sure what the capbilities are). Be nice if there were GUID's you could use for NPC indexing but sounds like that's way beyond the scope of what your extension is capable of and instead would need Smiteworks to make some changes.

It's fine, it's for a one shot I'm planning on running so I'll copy the campaign and import characters for when I run it. I'll have to make the "master" file for the module just not have any of the polymorph stuff in it and if I plan to run it again in an ongoing campaign I'll load it and set up the shapeshift linkage each time I need to.
    I'm going to ask you what happens if you do the following...

Export the garbage links as you have into a .mod file.
    Bring up in new DB.
    Change them to reference what NOW should be .mod file references of the the critters you made.
    Export it all again.
    Bring up in new DB.
    Does it just work fine now? (because using .mod references not local DB references)

This is all a guess. I'm not a .mod expert as I've probably only ever experimented making one ever.

Edited my response quite a bit so you'll probably want to reread it.
    So are you saying if I export all the NPC's without shapechange linkage into a module. Then create a campaign, create a new "initial" NPC and setup the linkage there, then export the adventure module, and then loaded both the "NPC's" module and the "Adventure" module into a campaign the shapechange linkage would work? Or am I reading your edits wrong...

I'm going to ask you what happens if you do the following...

Export the garbage links as you have into a .mod file.
    Bring up in new DB.
    Change them to reference what NOW should be .mod file references of the the critters you made.
    Export it all again.
    Bring up in new DB.
    Does it just work fine now? (because using .mod references not local DB references)

This is all a guess. I'm not a .mod expert as I've probably only ever experimented making one ever.
    Actually as I think on it you may have to get trickier as each one would have to be a copy to get you to be able to write into it. Hmmm... Maybe if your really persistent and careful you can get all 3 versions to have links to the other .mod references (which are probably read only). You just have to experiment. Let me know if it works or fails.

Thread Information