DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 11 of 49 First ... 91011121321 ... Last
    you must update extensions - they will have issues with latest fgu update - if you don't update fgu then keep your old extension
    Free(Forums/Forge) Extension(FGU 5E):
    Paid (Forge) Extension(FGU 5E):

So, a question, I hope you can smack me around a little because this is such an easy fix...

I am running a group through a Rod of Seven Parts epic story. One of the later parts gives the wielder Shape Change as the 9th level spell. First off, I've been successful using this extension on a 17th level wizard to cast the spell no problems...and boy is it GREAT!!! However, nothing I can do will make it work for a 14th level. I tried making sure the item is equipped-nothing. I added a 9th level spell slot to her character sheet-notta. Will it work with a potion of polymorph? Or a scroll of Shape Change?

I'm sure I'm missing something OBVIOUS but...for the life of me I can't cypher-it-out. Any help or guidance?

Quote Originally Posted by Kingfish View Post
    So, a question, I hope you can smack me around a little because this is such an easy fix...

I am running a group through a Rod of Seven Parts epic story. One of the later parts gives the wielder Shape Change as the 9th level spell. First off, I've been successful using this extension on a 17th level wizard to cast the spell no problems...and boy is it GREAT!!! However, nothing I can do will make it work for a 14th level. I tried making sure the item is equipped-nothing. I added a 9th level spell slot to her character sheet-notta. Will it work with a potion of polymorph? Or a scroll of Shape Change?

I'm sure I'm missing something OBVIOUS but...for the life of me I can't cypher-it-out. Any help or guidance?
    Polymorph works on the spells and powers I've listed in page 1 and the .txt file for dirt level details. That is for PC or NPC as stated. An item is not an NPC or a PC. Its not the spell itself that triggers my stuff but is the PC/NPC spell/power/trait that triggers it. If you read this tome of a thread (not likely as even I don't reread it - only per reply) I believe we had a discussion of how to make polymorph spell work for a cup of poisoned tea. Really the trick is whatever you want to do the polymorph you make an NPC for and give it the spell/power you want per whatever I said worked for an NPC. In his case he made an NPC that was called teakettle or something I think if memory serves and had the token of a teakettle sitting in his map and on the CT. Then he triggered the spell from it. But really any hidden PC/NPC dummy thing you make equipped with the proper spell/power/trait could be used to target something and cast it. You just have to get inventive. But always remember this is for PC's and NPC's. For example if you want some PC to have unlimited change into anything you'd give it the feature keyword of Shapechanger ( who cares what you use for description ) if you want them to drop dead when they are killed in their altered form (think lycanthrope) or Shapeshifter if you want them to turn back with transferred HP data. Those two have no "limits" on what PC(feature)/NPC(trait) you choose for your polymorph token - unlike the specific spell/power/traits you can assign. Now you'd have to read on the details for where those things get defined but I give you the leeway to do what you want. But its got to be a PC/NPC doing the targeting and having the spell/power/trait to work. Nobody says a PC or NPC can't be named "teakettle" after all with that as it token and only controllable or even visible by the host
    Last edited by SilentRuin; February 19th, 2021 at 01:18.

<posted wrong answer will need to look this up again - memory is failing me>

The following is too long to put in page 1 - hence the .txt file.

Right - these are the spell/powers I support - check the .txt file in page 1 for details on these and where they go in a PC/NPC.

Polymorph Spell - This will support the full RAW 5E rules for this spell in the newly created sheet after the spell takes effect. Labels in the sheet will inform you that this new sheet is the one you use. If you go over to the original sheet (PC) or reference sheet (NPC) the label will be different and tell you DO NOT USE that sheet. The list of NPCs will be limited where it can be based on the RAW 5E rules. This is a targeted spell. If the target is of the same faction as the caster then it will not require the saving throw to take effect. Otherwise, it will.

True Polymorph Spell - This will support the full RAW 5E rules for this spell in the newly created sheet after the spell takes effect. Labels in the sheet will inform you that this new sheet is the one you use. If you go over to the original sheet (PC) or reference sheet (NPC) the label will be different and tell you DO NOT USE that sheet. The list of NPCs will be limited where it can be based on the RAW 5E rules. This is a targeted spell. If the target is of the same faction as the caster then it will not require the saving throw to take effect. Otherwise, it will. This supports special custom NPC types of "object" or "item". If you make a custom NPC that has a type of one of these it will be treated as an object by this and that other spells in polymorphism (won't be considered a creature). For example, making a chair NPC with whatever structural HP it would have or anything else with a chair token and a type of "object" or "item" would be respected as an object in this spell.

Animal Shapes Spell - This will support the full RAW 5E rules for this spell in the newly created sheet after the spell takes effect. Labels in the sheet will inform you that this new sheet is the one you use. If you go over to the original sheet (PC) or reference sheet (NPC) the label will be different and tell you DO NOT USE that sheet. The list of NPCs will be limited where it can be based on the RAW 5E rules. This is a targeted spell. If the target is self or not of the same faction as the caster that target will be ignored. A special feature that supports the ability to change shapes while a current animal shapes spell concentration is in effect requires that the target list be an exact subset of the current Animal Shapes concentration effects in play. If it is, then only that subset will change without breaking the concentration and losing the others in that active spell. Otherwise, any deviation from the target subset will result in breaking the concentration of the others (reverting them back) and casting this new target list as a new animal shapes spell transformation.

Shapechange Spell - This will support the almost the full RAW 5E rules for this spell in the newly created sheet after the spell takes effect. Because of the nature of this spell and that you can still use your character features and spells at DM's discretion based on shape you took - this new sheet will have everything you need according to RAW 5E rules except those DM discretion things. When you go back to the original sheet it will also have a different label stating this sheet is for LIMTTED use at DM's discretion (unlike other reference sheets which state DO NOT USE). This is a self only spell and the special case allowing you to change shape while active is handled by going back to your source sheet where the NPC selection in this case will allow you to select a new NPC and hit the active button again (even though its highlighted already). If the NPC selection was different than the current one it will delete the Shapechange effect (reverting you back) and then transform you into the new NPC shape.

Shapechanger - this is an NPC trait/ PC feature which I've left completely up to the DM on what NPC's it can turn into. There are no changes to the resulting sheet - this is simply going to turn them into the pure NPC. If you want special conditions for this (like a vampire turning into mist) you make your own custom NPC. Or in some cases the shape changed attack/damage features are already on the NPC sheet and you can do nothing at all and don't even trigger polyrmorphism. This will pass in the HP data to the NPC and is really only valid to use if you copy the NPC into different versions where you add different tokens and keep all the stats etc. the same (optionally editing out attacks to the relevant ones for that token shape). Also if you die in changed shape you revert and are still dead.

Shapeshifter - this is an NPC trait/ PC feature which I've left completely up to the DM on what NPC's it can turn into. There are no changes to the resulting sheet - this is simply going to turn them into the pure NPC. It will follow most polymorph spell rules on death where it will carry over the exceeded HP when it reverts back to its shape. Used more for allowing the DM to have unrestricted polymorph (some homebrew NPC/PC have this death revert behavior).

Wild Shape - This is an NPC trait/ PC feature. This will support the full RAW 5E rules for this in the newly created sheet after the wild shape takes effect. This is a self only thing so simply supports the active button switching back and forth.
    Last edited by SilentRuin; February 19th, 2021 at 01:42.

Nice!!! Subtle...I like! So I guess the Rod of Seven Parts just became a REAL part of our game. This is gonna take some tinkering and lots of thought. Thanks for being so quick on the responses...much much appreciated!

Nice!!! Subtle...I like! So I guess the Rod of Seven Parts just became a REAL part of our game. This is gonna take some tinkering and lots of thought. Thanks for being so quick on the responses...much much appreciated!
    Had to edit that last post a bunch sorry there. Just finished editing it.

Quote Originally Posted by SilentRuin View Post
    Had to edit that last post a bunch sorry there. Just finished editing it.
    Wow...yeah, because that spell is self and appears to be 'hard-coded' at 9th level, I don't think I can make it work how I need/want. Oh well, it is awesome powerful tho and so freakin kewl. Pretty sure my next group may be an all druid affair...

Wow...yeah, because that spell is self and appears to be 'hard-coded' at 9th level, I don't think I can make it work how I need/want. Oh well, it is awesome powerful tho and so freakin kewl. Pretty sure my next group may be an all druid affair...
    I guess I’m not sure what your saying here. Is some spell not following rules per Raw 5E?

As I said if you don’t want “rules” you define shapechanger or shapeshifter.

If there is some bug your trying to describe I’m not understanding.

Quote Originally Posted by SilentRuin View Post
    If there is some bug your trying to describe I’m not understanding.
    No I don't think so, I think the problem I am having is two-fold, old and lack of understanding the limits of the incredible tool you've supplied. As I explained (horribly) earlier, I am trying to give my player the ability to use the 9th level spell Shapechange as exactly how you have it coded. Shapechanger or shift is just giving them an NPC to control...if I understand you correctly...without the modified character sheet. That sheet and the elegance of how you have built this is what I wanted for my player to experience.

Her character is only 14th level but has a powerful magic item that grants her the 9th level spell Shapechange. I think the problem arises from the under-leveled character. Here is what I mean.

I've created a new character exactly like her character. With her at level 14, i drop the 9th level spell on her, i manually give her a 9th spell slot but it won't work. As soon as I added three more levels and she naturally got her 9th level spell slot at 17 level, BOOM, Shapechange worked exactly as it is expected.

Per our earlier conversation, I crafted an NPC, (lets call him teakettle for the purposes of this) but in that example the limitation of the SELF only tag on the spell. I place it, gave control to the player and "Teakettle" could turn itself into a blue dragon at the players request BUT it couldn't use this ability on the controlling character holding. Pretty sure I am just not understanding how to get past or through the SELF limitations. I KNOW i can just do the old switcheroo tokens way to handle this but, I was basically doing that without an extension.

Then I tried duplicating the Shapechange spell. I changed self to targets, didn't work. It still couldn't transfer the effect onto anyone but the caster. I tried leaving it like it was but changing the spell level to a level the character could cast...that made no difference.

I know its a limitation created from of my own lack of skill/knowledge and/or imagination. It is not your work that is in anyway flawed here, its me and my end...its just frustrating cause its as simple as changing the SELF out to anything else and I can't figure it out.

As I said earlier, I know I can change out the tokens, I could use shapechanger and give her the RAW NPC to control but its the 'magic' of how you have this coded for the player that I want her to see and have on her sheet.

Thanks for your time and attention to this, I am totally pleased with my purchase and even this one is gonna make player really happy when they get to use it...
    Last edited by Kingfish; February 19th, 2021 at 13:13.

You keep saying shape change spell which is limited. Are you getting that Shapechanger PC feature/NPC trait is NOT the same thing? Shapeshifter and shapechanger are not spells. See the list of things I support a few posts above and read them carefully.

Thread Information