DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Help with Death Flavor Extension

Hi All, Looking for assistance with PROGRAMMING a little extension I'm calling DeathFlavour.

The extension looks to have separate tables for both TYPE of damage and WOUND CATEGORIES (i.e.Healthy, Light, Moderate, Heavy, Critical, Dying) as well as CRITICAL'S by damage type. This means there is almost a description for everything. Of course you can pair that back to just Critical by Wound type but there is a nice level of additional danger in the combat when players and NPC's start to get seriously wounded.

In June I hacked it together using Kent's 'Automatic Lingering Effects' as a base with a bit of advice from Posideonsian.
    As a non-programmer I have managed to get it working perfectly on the host side in the little time I've had to do it.

As a DM you are constantly trying to think up different ideas to describe the combat and deaths cinematicly... this is a hands off the wheel approach.. that makes it random, unexpected and cool for everyone. The descriptions scale to the level of damage and damage type, with tables for spells; i.e. cold, fire and even Martial Arts (these are cool). Iv'e adapted the Final Redoubt Combat Essentials: Critical Matters tables, and had to mold it a lot and add old favorites and new material - They lean on the side of extremely graphic with slight humor. Iv'e paired this together with a great set of Lingering Damage tables also by damage type. Two of my current players are missing an eye and have other psychological issue's (from necrotic lingering effects) but they still have enjoyed the additional peril and descriptions when getting their arse's kicked and the cinematic nature of even normal death's... let alone the Hero moves of a Critical death. We have got to the point where I weave a summarized version of the description into the narration whilst everyone reads the chat box description and it flows well.

Anyway, I am struggling to get client side working... right.. it's half working but the damage type is lagging from a player side. So I was analyzing the hell out of the code trying to cut it together different ways to get the 'OOB' working. OOB - Out of Bounds messaging. I think it's almost there, but I'm missing something that a professional programmer might just say.. "er.. just do this".

So if anyone is keen to help please let me know and I can share the files.

Cheers
    SDG
    Last edited by sdg; August 16th, 2020 at 04:04.

Blog Entries
    MOD: moved into a new post since this didn't really seem to be the same as the thread you posted in. Don't worry, folks are friendly and a new thread is the best way to track the discussions and help on your new extension Let me know if you would like a different thread title.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Hey all, I had some time to look at this finally and solved it - it's working nicely. Just Beta testing it. Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by sdg View Post
    Hey all, I had some time to look at this finally and solved it - it's working nicely. Just Beta testing it. Cheers.
    This sounds pretty neat. A dumb question but would this affect sound triggers by changing the output in the chat box or is this in addition to the roll output that pops up in the chat box on a hit/damage?

Hi Dax, this is in addition to the output in the chatbox. Pls. see screen shot attached.

I have a set of 'wound' tables that I'm currently working on. There are 84 tables which each currently have between 10 and 30 entries.

Each damage type is broken down into wound categories with relative descriptions i.e. Light Wound, Moderate Wound, Heavy Wound, Critical Wound (I wish they called this 'severe' as it is confusing), Deadly Wound, and Critical Deadly Wound (Yes when you roll a Crit and it kills them, this has a special heroic death description)

The damage types are; Martial, Slashing, Bludgeoning, Piercing, Force, Fire, Cold, Lightning, Thunder, Poison, Acid, Psychic, Necrotic, and Radiant.

I'm also looking how to implement 'Brawling and 'Grappling'.

Please see a basic example below of the chat box.

Capture.JPG
    Last edited by sdg; September 9th, 2020 at 22:13.

Quote Originally Posted by sdg View Post
    Hi Dax, this is in addition to the output in the chatbox. Pls. see screen shot attached.

I have a set of 'wound' tables that I'm currently working on. There are 84 tables which each currently have between 10 and 30 entries.

Each damage type is broken down into wound categories with relative descriptions i.e. Light Wound, Moderate Wound, Heavy Wound, Critical Wound (I wish they called this 'severe' as it is confusing), Deadly Wound, and Critical Deadly Wound (Yes when you roll a Crit and it kills them, this has a special heroic death description)

The damage types are; Martial, Slashing, Bludgeoning, Piercing, Force, Fire, Cold, Lightning, Thunder, Poison, Acid, Psychic, Necrotic, and Radiant.

I'm also looking how to implement 'Brawling and 'Grappling'.

Please see a basic example below of the chat box.

Capture.JPG
    This looks really very cool sdg!! I'm looking forward to seeing this when you're done.

Definitely would be interested in this, keep us posted on your progress!

Hi Smackdaddy - Progress update - Working sweet!

1. - Iv'e adapted all the Final Redoubt crits and added a lot of new ones to fill the gaps - Totaling a whopping 1760 flavor descriptions! The redoubt descriptions have their own mechanic, so I have had to adapt them to the way my 'wound' level mechanic works, which meant revision of almost every description - took forever. I'm going to have to work out a way forward with Final Redoubt to be able to distribute these, so in the interim, I am actually developing a new set of tables, looking at around 10 descriptions for each - which equates to 960 additional flavor descriptions but this is going pretty quick in comparison, easier to write from scratch than it is to adapt. I may have to release in two packages - My set with the extension and than the Final Redoubt set as a separate mod (if licensing possible - Trying to get hold of Robert J Defendi), but they will work seamlessly together as a full set of 2720 flavor descriptions. See Screenshot.Martial Flavour.JPG

2. Regarding the programming, recently resolved a few more things, like if you have multiple types on a weapon i.e. slashing, magic, it will look at the first table for the description. This is working nicely with Bratch9's Advanced Weapon Damage Extension, where if you 'power on' a weapon i.e. a 'Flame Tongue', it than swaps the flavor description from 'Slashing' to 'Fire'. Did lot's of other bug fixes too - so working sweet... than I started getting a bit greedy and begun looking how I could clean up the no. of entry in the chat box so it wasn't so cluttered... (Thanks Javin, for some tips on this) and also worked out how to change the icon, so there is an icon now against every damage type. See Screenshots of interface cleanup Interface cleanup.png (which misleadingly is what it used to look like before cleanup) and the combat examples (Post Cleanup - Which is what the player sees now).
    Combat Example C1.JPG
    Combat Example C2.JPG
    Combat Example C3.JPG

3. I'm thinking of changing the name to 'WTF! Criticals' - which is short for 'Wound Type Flavour' Criticals - rather than 'Death Flavour' which is a little dark… WTF! Criticals is about ALL wound types and not just death's… also a bit more playful.

4. Also - If people have any feedback as to whether they might want to use this 'as intended' on all wound types or alternatively, just when they role a natural 20 crit?... I can put a setting in options to toggle either method. Thought I saw something in an old forum of someone wanting that... but I've taken it a step further and provided all wound levels. This extension also work's nicely with Automatic Lingering Effects by Kent McCullough, although now demoing it with WTF! Criticals I kind of want to go and put the same damage type icons on the Lingering Effects - Might have a chat to Kent about that.

Cheers.
    sdg.
    Last edited by sdg; September 18th, 2020 at 14:21.

Very cool sdg!! It's a bonus for me that you're working a bit with Kent's stuff as I use all those extensions too. I think an option to toggle for just criticals and every attack sounds right. I'm not sure where I'd be if I'd want it for all or just criticals. I see both sides of the argument on that. That said, I'm looking forward to seeing your work.

Thread Information