FG Spreadshirt Swag
Page 5 of 7 First ... 34567 Last
    Hi all,

Not sure if this can help but I have upgraded to Big Sur 11.2.1 and I still see the usual CPU utilisation creeping up.
    What I have noticed is that if I bring another program to the foreground, after a while the CPU utilisation goes down. I assume it's because FGU stops rendering.

Have you tried using the /vsync chat command to reduce the frame rate?

Information here: https://fantasygrounds.com/forums/sh...l=1#post551846
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    Have you tried using the /vsync chat command to reduce the frame rate?

Information here: https://fantasygrounds.com/forums/sh...l=1#post551846
    Thank you Trenloe. Yes, I have. The results are not too different from what I reported in the past. Reduction in CPU is not high but a low refresh rate makes the whole experience a bit frustrating

Just thought I'd put my experience in here too.

I use a Thinkpad T440 with 12 Gb Ram, Core i7-4600U CPU @ 2.1 GHz. When I run Classic, no problems. When I run Unity, discord falters. I try /vsync 4 and it helps, but eventually (within an hour) I lose communications with my players. In one game, I have a player who basically can't run it at all, but even among those who can, it basically can only play for about 1-2 hours before we get difficulties. Another DM is experiencing exactly the same issues, and the third DM uses discord on a separate machine and his system still couldn't run Unity.

I have an ultimate license for both products, but I never play the Unity version because it sucks so hard. I don't appreciate that one needs a gamer rig to play the thing. We are TTRPG players, not video gamers at core. I will continue to use Classic, but it is a shame that you are no longer supporting it. Does smiteworks track usage statistics at all?

Blog Entries
    SW tracks usage, and posts them several times a year. See Ddavisons blog.

FGU does not require a gaming rig, or anything near that. I run on an 8 year old laptop with acceptable performance with pretty large campaigns, Los and vision.

If you wish to post detailed info, logs, sample campaign etc, folks are happy to give advice. The most common things are to check your video driver settings, make sure the card is use application settings for FGU. The other is to use vsync and image quality settings.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Quote Originally Posted by dimonic View Post
    Just thought I'd put my experience in here too.

I use a Thinkpad T440 with 12 Gb Ram, Core i7-4600U CPU @ 2.1 GHz. When I run Classic, no problems. When I run Unity, discord falters. I try /vsync 4 and it helps, but eventually (within an hour) I lose communications with my players. In one game, I have a player who basically can't run it at all, but even among those who can, it basically can only play for about 1-2 hours before we get difficulties. Another DM is experiencing exactly the same issues, and the third DM uses discord on a separate machine and his system still couldn't run Unity.

I have an ultimate license for both products, but I never play the Unity version because it sucks so hard. I don't appreciate that one needs a gamer rig to play the thing. We are TTRPG players, not video gamers at core. I will continue to use Classic, but it is a shame that you are no longer supporting it. Does smiteworks track usage statistics at all?
    There’s some good feedback that's worth trying in this thread: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...-image-effects
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

The most common issue that people have had is that there graphics driver is forcing frame rates to be uncapped, instead of what the application requests. Check that your graphics driver settings (NVidia/Radeon) are not overriding application frame rates.

Regards,
    JPG

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dimonic View Post
    I don't appreciate that one needs a gamer rig to play the thing.
    I know it doesnt solve your issue but maybe it might encourage you to keep tinkering with settings.
    Im on an 8yr old i5 CPU with 8GB ram.
    I have put a 2GB GFX card in there (the cheapest one I could find) and a similarly cheap SSD and it handles all the different FGU that I do on it.

Its very possible that the GFX card in the laptop is an issue but I would definitely try the gfx card setting suggestions the others have made.

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Wizard View Post
    The most common issue that people have had is that there graphics driver is forcing frame rates to be uncapped, instead of what the application requests. Check that your graphics driver settings (NVidia/Radeon) are not overriding application frame rates.

Regards,
    JPG
    after months of cooking sausage sizzle on my laptop vents, the only thing i managed to achieve is bringing GPU usage from 30% to 10%... but only on the loading page...you know the still frame page...before you even start a campaign (And i thought why is this page requires so much graphic power)

So i have been playing with multiple graphic card settings tonight (including capping frame rate to 20), force FGU to use the integrated graphic card or chocking all my GTX 1660 Ti settings, Vsync does not seem to do anything on my side for some reason.

The best i can get is bringing the GPU load from 30% to 20% on a Map with lights and LOS on, music (just kidding) and tokens moving around with various visions... and still that bloody fan running...

LoardEntrails and Damned, why don t you tell us what your GPU loading is in task manager with your 8yo computer in normal FGU use? I am curious cause at the end what s acceptable for one might not be for someone else.

Quote Originally Posted by readymeal View Post
    The best i can get is bringing the GPU load from 30% to 20% on a Map with lights and LOS on, music (just kidding) and tokens moving around with various visions... and still that bloody fan running...

LoardEntrails and Damned, why don t you tell us what your GPU loading is in task manager with your 8yo computer in normal FGU use? I am curious cause at the end what s acceptable for one might not be for someone else.
    GPU running at 30% should be fine.

Is it that 30% the thing that's not acceptable to you? Or is it the fan running? Seems to be the latter, but I just want to be sure what is actually acceptable to you.

Assuming it's the fan running and blowing hot that's the main thing, then other areas should be looked at. What's the CPU load? How old is your computer, and when was the last time the cooling vents were given a good clean? I had a 7 year old laptop (high-end when I bout it) that started running hot constantly a year ago for any intensive task - I tried lots of things to try to reduce load on the system, but it still ran hot. I took it apart, cleaned up all the vents and fans, and put new thermal conducting compound between the heatsinks and chip - then it ran much cooler and quieter. A computer cooling system loses efficiency over time - due to particles in the air sticking to the cooling system and heat compound slowly losing efficiency.

Thread Information