5E Character Create Playlist
Page 3 of 7 First 12345 ... Last
    Blog Entries
    Here's a benchmark for those interested (and hopefully a simple enough test many others can duplicate);

FGU launch screen, resting
    ~10% CPU Load total, 3.6 GB RAM utilized
    FG using ~2.5%, 113 MB RAM

Creating & Opening New 5E Campaign
    Peak CPU ~31%, Average ~25%, Resting ~12%
    Resting FGU 290MB, ~4% CPU load

PHB, MM, DMG, DoMM loaded
    Peak Total CPU ~42% CPU
    Resting FG process ~5.5% CPU, 1670MB, GPU ~20%

Computer
    Dell Precision M3800 (laptop)
    Intel i7-4712HQ, [email protected] GHz
    16 GB RAM
    Windows 10 Pro, 64 bit
    NVidia Quadro K1100M (Driver version 425.45)

Those are well within my performance expectations. And we can see the issues with FGU performance are not universal.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Thx Mate, this is getting very funny...

there is obviously something going on... looking at our both graphic cards...

https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compar...i/m10244vs4037

Maybe recent integrated and dedicated graphic cards can t seem to deal with simple FGU graphic computations ha!

Unfortunately, i don t have any 5E core books so i can only load SRDs and basic rules. If i had your computer i would totally expect and accept these results... i might have to look at under clocking my graphic card...more power is not always better.

with a campaign opens: only about 15-20% GPU, opening a LOS map adds another 15% then any additional one add few more percents. I end up with a steady 30% with a LOS map open. CPU and memory are not too much of a concern.

Wondering what the Devs have been using to create FGU?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by readymeal View Post
    Wondering what the Devs have been using to create FGU?
    Don't know specifically, but I believe they have a dozen or so computers they test on, from 5+ yr old Macs to brand new ones. And I believe their Windows boxes have a larger range.

Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Quote Originally Posted by readymeal View Post
    I don t think i did, i made a simple observation based on my limited sample. Surely not enough to make any conclusion.

Once again, i never said FGU does not work well in a lower spec computer(it looks like it works the same regardless of config), all i said is it requires a lot of graphic cards processing in some configurations (integrated and dedicated) which seems to over stressed some built. Hence my advise to upgrade if one does not want to have its laptop running at 100% for hours on or stick to FGC until Smite works finds what s going on.

Would you be able to share your spec and tell us what the task manager is showing when running FGU? That could help as well.
    I don't know what use specs would be since I run FGU in a VM (as I do with all Beta software). It has 4 virtual CPUs assigned, with 8GB RAM (static), and ~20 GB of drive space used. It's running Windows 10 ver. 2004.

Back in June, I took some traces using Resource Monitor from the same VM, and to my eye, there is not a lot of difference to what I took just now (there is always going to be some variance). This is despite multiple people commenting on the improved performance (I cannot find that thread at the moment though). I definitely saw the improvements as well at the time (June/July forget when though).

I use Resource Monitor instead of the Task Manager. I've always felt it paints a better overall picture.

The first two traces are from the 5e sample campaign (something that comes with FG), no extensions.

The third trace is from RMC, I don't use 5e at all typically, and I do not have any modules for it. I don't run any extensions.

This is from June 6:

Same scenario just now:

This is a new campaign with a custom adventure module I made, with a map with LoS, this is from today as well:

As you can see, nothing really jumps out. Yes, the CPU load is high when it is starting up and loading assets, that is somewhat expected though. The VM tends to struggle a bit sometimes, but I don't notice it when actually using the program. Most users with an i7 CPU are going to see 4 CPU/8 Thread, whereas the VM just has 4 CPUs/4 Threads.

The spikes in the disk usage don't really mean anything, the scale only goes to 100 KB per sec. If it was sustained above that for a significant amount of time the scale would change automatically, I think it goes to 1 MB per sec next. So no sustained high disk usage.

Unfortunately, ResMon does not track GPU usage, that is the one drawback to using it to compare with Task Manager.

The above is why is suspect drivers. As mentioned though, it could be something in the way Intel architected the Iris graphics between generations (Intel is not exactly what I would consider a leader in GPU development). It's difficult to tell without debugging tools that can look deeper into things.

Here's a question for those with GPU spikes, if you are on a Laptop with integrated graphics and discrete graphics, have you tried to disable one or the other GPU (integrated vs. discrete)?

We experienced issues with the Windows choosing the integrated GPU instead of the discrete one causing significant performance issues.
    Last edited by Sulimo; August 17th, 2020 at 03:36.

Quote Originally Posted by Sulimo View Post

Here's a question for those with GPU spikes, if you are on a Laptop with integrated graphics and discrete graphics, have you tried to disable one or the other GPU (integrated vs. discrete)?

We experienced issues with the Windows choosing the integrated GPU instead of the discrete one causing significant performance issues.
    well i have a dedicated GTX 1660 TI in my laptop... i have forced FGU to use the integrated graphics or the graphic card in 2 different tests, same results. Using the graphic card there are a lot more options to play with though...

Thanks everyone for your input.

@Developers: can we have acknowledgment that you are looking into this, please?

Thank you!

We are looking into this; but as has been mentioned in this thread a few times, we're struggling to reproduce this issue.

Now, the general load on a graphics card is somewhat fixed by the fact that we're using Unity; and I'm not really worried about FGU running in the 30-70% range on a modern GPU. The main issues that I'm worried about are when the CPU utilization jumps to 250%+ on the MacBook Pros; which points to something not working as expected.

I think Carl and I have seen this a total of 3 times on our internal Macs over the last 6 months during testing; and we've never been able to recreate to investigate deeper. The last time it happened when I was testing a new build on Mac last week; but I wasn't in debug mode at that time (since I was specifically testing a Live build for release). I did verify that it was not a runaway thread creation situation, which was one of our hypotheses; as well as verifying that it didn't seem to be tied to image controls (LoS, FoW, etc.). In my test, it happened when just testing player connection and player character selection between Windows and Mac machines.

If anybody using a Mac can provide any information on what triggers this scenario, it would be very useful to us.

Regards,
    JPG
    Last edited by Moon Wizard; August 21st, 2020 at 17:18.

Thank you.
    Is there any other information you would need from me?
    Any logs or other info that might help?

Thanks

Definitely not LOS related Moon Wizard. I’ve experienced it with no maps loaded. Will note things down soon as I see it occur again.

Blog Entries
    FG logs can be captured by typing /console in chat and then picking the Compile logs button.
    You can get your Mac system logs with these instructions; https://www.howtogeek.com/356942/how...%3E%20Console.

Thread Information