5E Character Create Playlist
Page 2 of 7 First 1234 ... Last
    What ruleset?
    What resolution is the map?
    If it's a map from a module, exactly which map is it?

I understand you are experiencing high resource use and are of the opinion that it should just be fixed. But just saying you're having issues without giving the details asked for by the developers isn't really going to help them narrow down the issue. So, please provide the details requested - ruleset, extensions, modules, etc.. If something is hard for the devs to reproduce this helps them to try to identify common denominators that could help in finding solutions. We all want FGU to work well for as many people as possible, so please help the devs do that by providing the information they're asking for.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

I provided all the details in prior posts (mid May 2020), including detailed software and hardware specs as well as measurements:

„5E Sample Campaign, Simple Gray, Battle Map01 open and zoom to fit, not using any effects“

You will find all the details here:

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...most-100/page6

I even installed Intel Graphics Performance Analyzers, a tool to optimize GPU load during software development, and provided some snapshots. Further, I offered to also install the Unity SDK (if available at no cost, which I think it is) and run performance analysis.

Thanks for previously providing the information @Zarkamorta.

@caste381 - I'm sure this is the type of information support would have wanted you to post here when they directed you to the forums.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

I'm curious as to whether or not, a slow client, would bottleneck everyone else playing. Does anyone know if that sort of thing is possible with FGU?

i was about to make several tests... then i decided to check it from the start... I would really like to know why FGU needs on average 15% of a GTX 1660 TI...(it s fluctuating between 7% and 30%...) while still on the loading page. FGU power.jpg

From then i continued and opened a session, graphic card requirements are fluctuating between 15-20% without anything open then it s increasing to a a good 30% when i open a map with LOS (Cragmaw Castle) and the power consumption becomes high to very high.

This is all with 5E.

I know these numbers are not that useful as per Wizard but that s all i have got... FGU needs a lot of graphic card processing...

Not surprised that integrated graphics can t keep up. Might have to stick to FGC or get a gaming laptop (My GTX 1050 TI in my previous laptop was running at 50% and was very hot to touch...so you better go big)

At the same time it s not affecting any FGU running functions, but it needs to pedal fast and hard in the background to get these results, hopefully it comes with smaller cog soon

Wow, this is interesting, from my understanding the GTX 1660 Ti and some less the GTX 1050 Ti are both top tier mobile GPUs for high performance gaming laptops made to run AAA titles at full HD and even above. So if the 1050 runs at 50 % and very hot to touch and the 1660 at 30 %, I think there is something in the current build of FGU causing hiccups. I also had a look at the starting price point for a GTX 1660 Ti laptop, which I consider above my range to justify for just running FGU, since I am gaming on a console.

Even, if I would bite the bullet and get a high end gaming laptop, I could not expect this from my players. So, even if my system runs fast, the systems of a couple of players will run very slow, stalling the game.

I read another post, where the GM basically had to move the player‘s token and carry out actions for the player, since the player‘s system was running slow.
    Last edited by Zarkamorta; August 16th, 2020 at 13:31.

Quote Originally Posted by Zarkamorta View Post
    Wow, this is interesting, from my understanding the GTX 1660 Ti and some less the GTX 1050 Ti are both top tier mobile GPUs for high performance gaming laptops made to run AAA titles at full HD and even above. So if the 1050 runs at 50 % and very hot to touch and the 1660 at 30 %, I think there is something in the current build of FGU causing hiccups. I also had a look at the starting price point for a GTX 1660 Ti laptop, which I consider above my range to justify for just running FGU, since I am gaming on a console.

Even, if I would bite the bullet and get a high end gaming laptop, I could not expect this from my players. So, even if my system runs fast and the systems of a couple of players will run very slow, stalling the game.
    technically speaking a 1050 is now lower tier and a 1660 is mid tier (you can get a gaming laptop with a RTX 2080 if you have the mean). They are indeed able to handle AAA games very well hence my surprise with FGU requiring that much power but having not much to show for it. (unless the FGU map making tool is always running in the background by default... that would explain some need of graphic card processing, DungeonDraft (another map making software) also in Beta is using roughly the same amount)

However interestingly, it does not seem to change the end results, whatever your integrated GPU is about to self combust or my gaming laptop is running at 30% capacity, the results seems to be the same, i don t think i load or process things faster than you.
    It won t change anything for anyone...except their computers running (too) hot.

Quote Originally Posted by readymeal View Post
    technically speaking a 1050 is now lower tier and a 1660 is mid tier (you can get a gaming laptop with a RTX 2080 if you have the mean). They are indeed able to handle AAA games very well hence my surprise with FGU requiring that much power but having not much to show for it. (unless the FGU map making tool is always running in the background by default... that would explain some need of graphic card processing, DungeonDraft (another map making software) also in Beta is using roughly the same amount)

However interestingly, it does not seem to change the end results, whatever your integrated GPU is about to self combust or my gaming laptop is running at 30% capacity, the results seems to be the same, i don t think i load or process things faster than you.
    It won t change anything for anyone...except their computers running (too) hot.
    Don't confuse correlation for causation.

I can tell you for certain that FGU works just fine in a VM with 8GB RAM, no direct access to the video hardware, and a spinning rust hard drive.

It also works fine on lower spec hardware. I believe LordEntrails mentioned a while back that he uses a 5 year old (maybe older) laptop, and he does not see these types of issues.

So it is not as simple as stating that you need a high end video card.

Not being a developer, I can only speculate, but I would guess it is some combination of the Video Driver version, something in Unity that does not interact well with that particular version, and potentially the DirectX version (for Windows).

From what I have seen of the posts from the devs, they have been struggling to reproduce this themselves, so fixing it is not going to be easy.

The problem of course is repeatability so the devs can model it themselves and determine what is happening. They cannot purchase every piece of hardware out there, so they need as much detail as possible to see if they can come up with some repeatability to help them resolve it.

Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    Thanks for previously providing the information @Zarkamorta.

@caste381 - I'm sure this is the type of information support would have wanted you to post here when they directed you to the forums.
    You are absolutely right. No one can fix anything without the right info.
    In my case I started with a clean install, created a new 5E campaign with no extensions, no modules and no players connected. Both CPU and GPU are on 50% average.
    If I open the three core rulebooks and the three official additional rulebooks, the average goes up to 60/70%.
    Opening a random image downloaded from the Internet (1300x950) maxes everything out.

As I said earlier, this is on a MacBook Pro 2018 and a MacBook Air 2020 (the latter with maxed specs), so fairly pricey machines.
    Graphics software such as Blender, flight simulators and astronomy software with good rendering details all perform better.
    I say this does not look right. It should not be a matter of throwing more cycles to the software, but rather understanding what is going wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Sulimo View Post
    Don't confuse correlation for causation.

I can tell you for certain that FGU works just fine in a VM with 8GB RAM, no direct access to the video hardware, and a spinning rust hard drive.

It also works fine on lower spec hardware. I believe LordEntrails mentioned a while back that he uses a 5 year old (maybe older) laptop, and he does not see these types of issues.

So it is not as simple as stating that you need a high end video card.

Not being a developer, I can only speculate, but I would guess it is some combination of the Video Driver version, something in Unity that does not interact well with that particular version, and potentially the DirectX version (for Windows).

From what I have seen of the posts from the devs, they have been struggling to reproduce this themselves, so fixing it is not going to be easy.

The problem of course is repeatability so the devs can model it themselves and determine what is happening. They cannot purchase every piece of hardware out there, so they need as much detail as possible to see if they can come up with some repeatability to help them resolve it.
    I don t think i did, i made a simple observation based on my limited sample. Surely not enough to make any conclusion.

Once again, i never said FGU does not work well in a lower spec computer(it looks like it works the same regardless of config), all i said is it requires a lot of graphic cards processing in some configurations (integrated and dedicated) which seems to over stressed some built. Hence my advise to upgrade if one does not want to have its laptop running at 100% for hours on or stick to FGC until Smite works finds what s going on.

Would you be able to share your spec and tell us what the task manager is showing when running FGU? That could help as well.

Thread Information