FG Spreadshirt Swag
Page 1 of 7 123 ... Last

High resources utilisation

Hi all,

I have been suggested by you support team to post here about a problem I am experiencing with MacOS. I have a MacBook Pro with 2.7 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 and a MacBook Air with 1.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7.
    On both of them the CPU/GPU utilisation is inexplicably high even with no players connected.
    Could I please know what these CPU/GPU cycles are being used for?

Thank you
    Attached Images Attached Images

I'm curious as to which version of MBP you have. What year is it? What GPU does it have?

Hi qdwag. The MBP is 2018. Graphics by Interl Iris plus 655 (1536mb). The air is 2020 with Intel Iris Plus Graphics 1536 MB

Hi, I am having the same problem with a Surface Pro 7 running Win 10. It also has an Intel Iris Plus. Basically, just starting FGU has the GPU running at 100 % while the CPU is at 5-8 %. I think, it is a general problem FGU has with modern integrated GPU. Got mixed feedback ranging from don‘t expect your laptop being able to run FGU decently to it is a known issue. My feeling is, currently nobody is looking into the problem.
    Last edited by Zarkamorta; August 15th, 2020 at 19:34.

Yeah, what I find confusing is that I can run far more CPU intensive applications, virtual machines and the lot, without hitting the roof.
    There is clearly something wrong.
    A friend of mine joked that FGU might be mining crypto in the background
    Last edited by caste381; August 15th, 2020 at 19:21.

True, I was told by one dev that the basic FGU desktop corresponds to 14k triangles. If this is true there is for sure a problem. But so far not much more feedback on the issue. So, some people say it is a problem, other say don’t expect your laptop to run FGU. It is a bit frustrating. Personally, I think it should run on a laptop with medium specs (or at least the basic features) otherwise they will loose a lot of customers, since dedicated gaming rigs are not that common anymore these days.

There are two longer threads dealing with the issue:

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...most-100/page8

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...misation/page2

Thank you. Useful info.
    TBH these machines are quite expensive and fairly capable. I would not accept having to get higher specs.
    Let's be honest: FGU should consume FAR less resources.
    When the GUI is sitting idle and no-one is connected, there is no justification to use more than 2-3% to display a static image

Yes, I have the same perspective. Also, even if I would be willing to upgrade my laptop and get one with a gtx 1650 or the like, this is nothing I could expect from my players. So, there is always a large likelihood that there is at least one „slow system“ in every gaming group, which will make it difficult to run a session under the current conditions.

In one of the threads linked above, one of the main developers says "To be clear, we are still working on optimizations to improve performance right now. So, hopefully it should slowly get better as we adjust."

I know that they sometimes struggle to get good reproducible situations, which is why he also mentions: "However, if you are running in a scenario where performance is clearly impacted, please provide the exact scenario where the performance is not good. (i.e. game system, extensions used, modules loaded, etc.) And, simpler is better; if you can recreate with a minimal scenario (brand new campaign with minimal data/extension)."

@caste381 thank for providing some info. Can you please provide more of the information mentioned? "i.e. game system, extensions used, modules loaded" - thanks!
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

From my understanding, there are many people running into performance issues just launching FGU. So, in my case just starting the app, there is already heavy GPU load on the campaign selection menu. Just opening a new campaign with no modules loaded makes the GPU run at 100 %. Opening any map drops the FPS count down to something like 20 frames.

Thread Information