DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

FGU Showing Incorrect Internal IP Address

(Ver 2020-08-13)

When preparing to create or load a campaign, the internal IP Address shown on the screen is not accurate.
    It's showing 192.168.56.1.
    My actual internal IP is 10.10.10.10. (yes, I have an unconventional network setup )

The shown external IP is correct.
    I don't know if this has an impact on being able to connect or not, though connecting with a second session via localhost works fine. I don't have a separate machine handy to test a LAN connection with.

FGC reports the IP accurately.
    --
    I'm so bassic

That would suggest to me that you have multiple network interfaces, and FGU is choosing to show you a different interface's IP. (Got something like VirtualBox or VMware installed?)

Blog Entries
    FG will use the internal IP of the first network adapter/interface. You can change the order of this in your registry so that FG uses a different internal IP.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

I do have VirtualBox installed, so that's what FG is reporting.

Would it not be better to simply test which interface actually has network access and use that one? A fallback to the first one would seem okay if none currently do.
    A user should not have to muck about in the registry to get FG to work.
    --
    I'm so bassic

Blog Entries
    Better? Sure, but FGC is not particularly current and changing something like this is effort that would be pulled off of FGU. Besides, if you don't like the registry solution, all you have to do is to disable the VM adapter before starting FG.

Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

And, as I recall, FGU listens to all interfaces anyway. So this isn't a functional problem, but more cosmetic.

Blog Entries
    Applications listen on all adapters
    it can only display one IP address and that is the one that the Operating System returns to the application first

open a CMD prompt as Administrator and type

netstat -p UDPv6 -b -a

and look for fantasygrounds.exe - it may appear more than once
    most likely it will be listening on 127.0.0.1 which means it is listening on all adapters

Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    Better? Sure, but FGC is not particularly current and changing something like this is effort that would be pulled off of FGU.
    As I stated in my initial post, FGC reports the IP correctly, it is only FGU that has this problem.

Scenario:
    I have 3 people sitting around a table in front of me, each with their own laptop running FGU.
    I have 2 more people at remote locations around the world.
    Let's also assume I'm ignorant of how networks work (which I'm not).
    Now, because my remote people are connecting via the lobby, they can connect fine through my router. However, the 3 people that SHOULDN'T have problems can't connect to me because I gave them the address that FG is showing me and that IP address doesn't exist on my network. Much frustration ensues, there's time wasted trying to figure out why things won't work, etc.

All I'm saying is if the program is going to provide information for people to use, it should at least be correct information. Otherwise, it's better to not have it there in the first place. (and, yes, that info is technically correct as that interface does exist, it's just not one that anything outside my own computer can connect to.)
    FG has a steep enough learning curve as it is. Networking 101 really shouldn't have to be part of it.
    --
    I'm so bassic

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wndrngdru View Post
    As I stated in my initial post, FGC reports the IP correctly, it is only FGU that has this problem.
    Yea, sorry, I got confused on the issue.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wndrngdru View Post

Scenario:
    I have 3 people sitting around a table in front of me, each with their own laptop running FGU.
    I have 2 more people at remote locations around the world.
    Let's also assume I'm ignorant of how networks work (which I'm not).
    Now, because my remote people are connecting via the lobby, they can connect fine through my router. However, the 3 people that SHOULDN'T have problems can't connect to me because I gave them the address that FG is showing me and that IP address doesn't exist on my network. Much frustration ensues, there's time wasted trying to figure out why things won't work, etc.

All I'm saying is if the program is going to provide information for people to use, it should at least be correct information. Otherwise, it's better to not have it there in the first place. (and, yes, that info is technically correct as that interface does exist, it's just not one that anything outside my own computer can connect to.)
    FG has a steep enough learning curve as it is. Networking 101 really shouldn't have to be part of it.
    FGU reports the interface that windows presents to it.
    Network Architecture says let the networking stack handle networking and let the application handle the application data.
    Applications hand off the data to the operating system so they dont know and dont care what route or interface the operating system uses.

Thread Information