Starfinder Playlist
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Language Fonts as Computer Fonts

Hiya Everyone!

Any idea how I can get the language fonts in my 5e campaign (and the EXTENDED language fonts too) into my computer for use with printouts and props? I would really like the things I make to thematically match and look just like what my players see in-game.

I thought this would be an easy “look into the extension folders and the .ttf files are right there, silly!” (I’m nowhere near my FG computer to just check right now)

But I am guessing from the lack of response here that it’s not as easy as that?

Blog Entries
    Rulesets have a "graphics\fonts" folder that inside have .ttf files.

So I think that is your answer?

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Do extensions have that too? I’ll check when I get home later tonight

Blog Entries
    I checked a couple extensions and they do not. But I suspect they can. If their is a specific extension you want the fonts from, then they have to be included somewhere. I suspect the same structure would be included, but a dev could technically put them anywhere if they referenced them accordingly.

Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

extensions can certainly have a font directory, but its not a mandatory organization structure. In an extension you have the main extension.xml file which then points to any other file you might want to load. You can organize your files in whatever directory structure you want, but in general most extension authors tend to follow the standard format used by CoreRPG.

For example, in one of my font extensions, I have the folder structure like this.
    extension.xml
    graphics\graphics_fonts.xml
    graphics\fonts\ttfFiles.ttf

The extension.xml file defines any other files to be included. For example, my extension.xml file looks like this, which loads the graphics\graphics_fonts.xml file.

Code:

<base>
        <includefile source="graphics/graphics_fonts.xml" />
    </base>
    The graphics\graphics_fonts.xml file then proceeds to define all of the individual fonts like this.
    Code:
    <root>
    <!-- Formatted text fields -->
    	<!-- Formatted text field header default size 20-->
    	<font name="reference-h">
    		<ttf file="graphics/fonts/Lato-Bold.ttf" name="Lato Bold" size="24" />
    		<color value="660000" />
    	</font>

<!-- Formatted text field regular text default size 14-->	
    	<font name="reference-r">
    		<ttf file="graphics/fonts/Lato-Regular.ttf" name="Lato Regular" size="22" />
    		<color value="#000000" />
    	</font>
    </root>
    As you can see, the <ttf tag points to to the storage location of the actual ttf file.

Finally, all of the ttf files are actually stored in the graphics/fonts/ directory within the extension.
    For support with any of my extensions, visit my #mattekure-stuff channel on Rob2e's discord https://discord.gg/rob2e

Thanks for the replies!!!

I am seeing a file called fonts within the extension, but all the "font" files inside have the ".fgf" file suffix, and not .ttf

Anyone know how to turn those into usable, installable fonts?

Addition: I have FontForge, which lets me open and convert fonts, even bitmap fonts, but I cannot figure out how to open an fgf file in it... I have tried changing the file extension to .bdf and .pcf, but no love. Any suggestions?

Second addition: I now have the FGF Font Editor I found in another thread. This lets me view the fgf bitmaps, but has no option to save the fonts as anything other than fgf again, which is... a bummer. Still fishing for suggestions!
    Last edited by JimSocks; August 15th, 2020 at 03:46.

Blog Entries
    I assume this is the FGF Font editor you found; https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...l=1#post423449

There is this tool to converte TTF fonts to FGF fonts, I don't think it goes the other way. Note, it's at the bottom of this page; https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/...veloper_Guides

A description by Moon Wizard;
    https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...l=1#post177842

This page has some discussion, but I think the conclusion is there is no way to convert FGF to TTF, but you can convert the other way.
    https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...nts-FGF-to-TTF
    https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...Creating-fonts

Thanks for the reply Good Sir- I appreciate your help! Alas, it seems it's not really possible, as you have said. I want to try to add additional language fonts to unity now, so I'll mosey over to the FGU section and ask about that process there, since it seems to be different from Classic.

Thread Information