FG Spreadshirt Swag

Is it possible to have both my ultimate license AND a demo installed on the SAME PC?

Right now, this is only relative to my Windows machines (10 pro, 8.1 pro) where I'm starting to prep my first unity campaign (mad mage).

As part of this work, I'm attempting to to connect to my LAN server from different machines within my home. When I run two instances of the same ultimate license on a single machine, I can connect a second instance without issue and it connects to the local machine using it's private IP address. No issues there, looks to be working as intended.

However, I have 4 machines in my house and will often look to test the player perspective on a completely different machine than the one where I'm doing my actual work (prep/los/etc...). IE) rather than alt-tab between views on a single monitor, I just leave my dm instance open on my desktop with my laptop right next to it, logged in as a player. Works great when the laptop is using a demo version, but fails with a license conflict if I enter the license code into the player side demo install.

I recognize this is by design, I understand the reasoning and I don't disagree. However, the laptop I'm using for the player/demo install is ALSO my main laptop which I use when not at home. I'll often wish to use it as a player in other people's games when I'm away, or to edit campaigns using my purchased sources, etc...

I am hoping that it's possible to have both a demo install AND a licensed install available on the same machine. I know that I can use the settings page to add/remove the key to convert the single install between a licensed and demo version, but this is a bit of a time consuming pain.

Anyone know if it's possible to make this work? I assume that the installation creates registry keys (on windows) which don't allow for two installs in different folders with unique data and app dirs, but am hoping there's some kind of work around.

Quote Originally Posted by nickabbey View Post
    I assume that the installation creates registry keys (on windows) which don't allow for two installs in different folders with unique data and app dirs...
    Correct.

If you're happy messing around with the Window registry to change keys and installation directories, then it's possible. But you really need to be aware of how it all works and what's possible and what could screw it up.

Many years ago, when FG went from v2 to v3, I wrote some instructions on how to have both installed on the same PC, and switch between them using .reg files. There may be some minor changes needed for the current version, but the process is similar. Info here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...l=1#post154450
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

In all honesty, if some reg hacks are all it takes that's MORE than good enough for me. I'll take a look at your link and see what I can get working. Thanks for the feedback!

Blog Entries
    Its also fairly easy to setup a VM and run the demo instance from that on the second computer. I did that for awhile.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    Its also fairly easy to setup a VM and run the demo instance from that on the second computer. I did that for awhile.
    Greatly appreciate the feedback. You're right, it's quite straightforward to do so but feels heavy handed to me. I'm looking to make it as simple as a pair of shortcuts on the desktop, one for demo one for ultimate. Probably will take the form of a shortcut to a batch file that will import the right registry file and then start the appropriate executable using the imported reg data. I expect there will always be a confirmation/administrator prompt as part of the batch file, (since it's going to overwrite registry keys) but that's a small inconvenience which I find acceptable.

For whatever it's worth, I'll definitely come back and post here when I've got it working so others can replicate

Quote Originally Posted by nickabbey View Post
    Greatly appreciate the feedback. You're right, it's quite straightforward to do so but feels heavy handed to me. I'm looking to make it as simple as a pair of shortcuts on the desktop, one for demo one for ultimate. Probably will take the form of a shortcut to a batch file that will import the right registry file and then start the appropriate executable using the imported reg data. I expect there will always be a confirmation/administrator prompt as part of the batch file, (since it's going to overwrite registry keys) but that's a small inconvenience which I find acceptable.

For whatever it's worth, I'll definitely come back and post here when I've got it working so others can replicate
    If you start the batchfile via a scheduled task, you can start it elevated. No prompts. More info on the web, for example here: https://www.digitalcitizen.life/use-...ut-uac-prompts.

Thanks!

I finished getting the reg files exported and built the batch files to run them before launching the appropriate executable. It's working perfectly well. I'll take a look at using the scheduled task as a work around, but it's honestly pretty simple to just click the yes button, very minor inconvenience.

Great!

You'll have to remember to keep both updated - running a separate update for each setup.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Thread Information