5E Character Create Playlist

How To Manage Different Adventures

So if I'm doing a lot of converting of adventures into Fantasy Grounds to run with my group, or writing my own adventures, how is it best to actually do this? I mean should I just write the adventures as stories inside my campaign, or is it better to write them in a separate campaign, export them as modules and load them into my campaign in order to avoid overcluttering in the long run? Otherwise I could see after 20 or so adventures that the main campaign will be full of stories, images etc that are no longer required.

Does anyone have good advice or suggestions on this?
    Just once I would like someone to call me "Sir," without adding "you're making a scene."

I made a mistake of making one huge adventure. I spent some time last winter exporting large modules. Game play improved, but I wanted more compatibility with FGU and more reliability in FGC. There is a 3.5 GB memory limit, after which everything crashes.

About 3-4 months ago I started making new campaigns and copying stories, NPCs, Encounters, with Parcels attached to NPCs whenever possible. I kept only the absolute necessary images as maps and visuals, made sure I used the "/save" command, backed up each adventure and exported each module. I am now about half-way done.

NPCs will take up the most room I think. Optimize your graphics files. And whenever possible keep the modules separate. Maybe in 3-4 months I will be done. I am also placing the tokens on the maps, very nifty.

I don't need to be worried about not having anything to do, for when I am done exporting everything I will start working on LOS maps in FGU.

Most important thing, make backups.

These are the modules and extensions created and/or taken over by dellanx for PFRPG.

I had a lot of help and advice from many here at FG.

Thank You!

I usually develop individual adventures in their own campaign and then export them to a module. This has the advantage of creating something that can be reused in the event that you want to run the same adventure more than once but don't want to have the old played game information. I also find that it just makes everything feel cleaner in the active game.

Note - there is no need to use the /save command in normal operation. FG saves the GM campaign data regularly while in play and also when you exit FG.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Blog Entries
    Use "Development" campaigns. See the link in my siganature.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

So I've already set a couple of adventures up directly inside my main campaign. Is there any way of separating them and exporting just the appropriate bits as a module?
    Just once I would like someone to call me "Sir," without adding "you're making a scene."

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by The Canterbury Tail View Post
    So I've already set a couple of adventures up directly inside my main campaign. Is there any way of separating them and exporting just the appropriate bits as a module?
    Yes, but that's going to make maintenance tough in the future.

If the effort is worth it you can do this;
    Exit FG, copy the entire campaign folder and make a copy for each module you wish to create ("Devl_Module1", "Devl_Module2", etc)
    Open eachof those campaigns and delete out all the extra stuff, then export to a module.

This allows you to keep a development campaign for each module, that way at a later date if you want to update the module, you just open the development campaign, update, and then re-export. Everywhere (i.e. play campaigns) that use that module will then be updated with the new content.

By doing that, you can do things like have a development campaign for the background info for city, then as you add info to the city, you can update the devl campaign and re-export and then use that in your play campaigns. It also allows you to unload that content when you are not using it.

Another thing to be aware of... If you have lots of player facing content, then its suggested that you make a devel campaign and module that the entire module can be shared with players.

Hope all that helps and doesn't confuse Let us know questions.

Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Blog Entries
    Oh, yes, you can export the bits and pieces, when you do the /export in chat, you can slect specific data types, or even individually drag objects (stories, NPCs, etc) to the export window to just export those items into your module. But, imo, maintaining that is tough. Plus, if you delete that content from the campaign, any updates to the module will have to be done in xml since you will not have the data in a campaign to export.

Thank you all. While I've had Fantasy Grounds for many many years, I only ran my first game with it last night.

Thread Information