DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 4 123 ... Last

My first FGU game

Yesterday I ran my first game session on FGU. All three players connected directly to my iMac (we didn't use the lobby). We spent three hours and there were no combat scenes.

• GM: iMac 2019 (MacOS 10.15.6)
    • Player1: MacBook Pro 2017 (MacOS 10.15.6)
    • Player2: PC Windows 10
    • Player3: PC Windows 10

• Ruleset: Savage Worlds
    • Extension: Mutant Chronicles theme (background, decal, chat window, 2 new derived stats)
    • Module1: Mutant Chronicles Player Guide (translation into Spanish of gear items, skills, edges, hindrances… including the Savage Worlds stuff)
    • Module2: Luna City (big map with 100+ described locations)

Two players connected very fast.

One player was not able to connect because of he was running a very outdate FGU version. He ran the updater several times but he got some “permissions problem” warning and FGU version couldn’t be updated. Finally he uninstalled FGU and reinstalled the last version after a system reboot.

One of them had a new 4k display and FGU interface elements were tiny for him. He changed the screen resolution to 1080p (he will try /scaleui 200 command later).

So we spent 40 minutes in order to be ready to play.

All players were positively surprised because they found “very fast” the connection and files acquisition procedures. All three are veteran FG Classic players and they think FGU is much better here.

We found a bug in the PC sheets, the scroll feature didn’t work.

Sharing images, loading Player Guide module, rolling dice and all basic functions performed very smoothly.

Both Mac users found the FGU window tittle bar very irritating. Unity games can run full screen on Mac computers but FGU can’t.

We all ended up very pleased with our first FGU beta experience. Next week we will run some combat scenes and we will use the lobby.
    Last edited by g0ntzal; August 6th, 2020 at 18:59.
    Nébula Rol

So you dare to cross the Veil… Oh, adventurer! Do you think there won’t be consequences, perhaps?

Sakrynia: The Land of Tears

Just finished an FGU game today. In general, 3/4 players (on Windows) and myself (on a recent MBP) had no problems. One player had a 2014 MBP without dedicated graphics card. FGU pushed her CPU to 400% - that is more than any game I've seen push a Mac!

I was just blown away. I shut down maps and turned off LOS and it went down to 200% CPU usage (FG itself was using this much). Because her machine was struggling to keep up, it caused me as host to lag with the Combat Tracker.

Don't really know what to say but damn, she can't afford to buy a newer MBP at this point, and FG shouldn't be using that much CPU in the first place.

Hi qdwag... I'm using a MBP 2013 SSD and 16 GB RAM occasionally and I can hear the fan working, obviously FGU is stressing the CPU or GPU. I'll try to get some performance figures next time.
    Nébula Rol

So you dare to cross the Veil… Oh, adventurer! Do you think there won’t be consequences, perhaps?

Sakrynia: The Land of Tears

Yeah the player who’s MBP was choking, is very similar to yours MBP. Take note of the CPU usage next time. FGU was almost unplayable for her at 400% CPU usage.

We've had a few similar reports, and it seems to be related to happen almost exclusively on MBP, though we have had a single report on Windows as well. The main thing we're struggling with is figuring out what the issue actually is, because we don't have any information on what is causing the issue nor any steps to recreate the issue on our machines.

Any information you can provide that seems to trigger the CPU spike would be appreciated; such as user keeping CPU monitor up and noting what happened just prior to any CPU spikes.

Thanks,
    JPG

Moon Wizard: that is interesting. Are there particular MBPs that tend to exhibit this issue?

I have a 2019 MBP with a Vega graphics card. No issues.
    My gf has a 2014 MBP (no discreet graphics) - that is the one that shoots up to 300-500%. Soon as some images are shared or even if a small map (1024 px) is shared, it shoots up to 500% CPU usage. Otherwise, it hovers around 250%-350% idle, with nothing going on.

Some of our guesses are that it could possibly be related to older hardware, discrete vs. onboard graphics, or OS version. However, Carl has a 2014 iMac with onboard video that seems to not exhibit issue.

What Mac OS version is your gf's computer running?

Regards,
    JPG

We can eliminate the OS version for my case. We both have exactly the same OS running.

It would still be useful to know which OS version (High Sierra, Mojave, Catalina), since it could be a combination of items.

Regards,
    JPG

Moon Wizard:

My bad. I just checked her MBP specs. It DOES have a discreet graphics card - one of those Nvidia Mobile chipsets. Here are the specs:

Graphics and Video Support
    Intel HD Graphics 4000
    NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M with 1GB of GDDR5 memory and automatic graphics switching

Running OS X Catalina.

Link to full machine specs: https://support.apple.com/kb/sp669?locale=en_AU
    Last edited by qdwag; August 11th, 2020 at 20:07.

Thread Information