5E Character Create Playlist
Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Transfer campaign data to new computer

I recently got a new computer. Following what I read here, I moved the campaign files from the AppData library on Computer 1 to Computer 2. However, when I load the campaign on Computer 2 in FGU, none of the characters or assets in the folder actually appear in FGU. The db.xml file seems to have the character data (this is most important to me, as I can readd images and NPCs relatively quickly), but I cannot figure out how to get the information from that file to appear in a character selection window or interpret all of the stats to manually recreate character sheets. Any recommendations?

Blog Entries
    Can you please post screen shots of both FG Data/Campaign folders with details (dates, file sizes) shown?

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

It isn’t clear from what you said what you actually moved. You want to copy the folder with your campaign name on it from the campaigns folder in computer 1 and place it into the campaigns folder in computer 2. Is that what you did?
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Thanks, folks. I managed to get it to work.

Initially I copied the full campaign folder and all of its contents, including the subfolders (e.g. images), as well as the xml, lua and html files. When I put them into the matching location on Computer 2, booted FGU and tried to load a campaign (after update), it did not show any campaigns to load.

I then tried instead to create a campaign via the normal FGU process, as I would for a new one, using the same name as before. I opened up that new campaign's folder and dropped everything from the old one into it, replacing the contents of the new with the old. However, while opening the db.xml files in Notepad showed me data that seemed to match my old campaign, I could not get anything to show when I opened windows, such as Characters in FGU. It appeared as a campaign with no content.

Immediately after my post, as I began to review all xml files did I notice that there were db.backup, db.session and db.script files in which the campaign data was missing. They were all dated as modified after the transfer (I assume every time I tried to open up the campaign). I realized the system understood my campaign had once existed, but these more recent files were telling FGU I had deleted all those characters and assets. As soon as I found the latest file that still had campaign data and deleted all the script, session and backup files dated afterwards, the campaign booted up just like it had the last time I used it on Computer 1.

Short version: Not sure why, but the initial transfer of the full campaign folder to a new computer did not cause FGU on that new computer to recognize that a campaign already existed. Dumping the old files into a new campaign folder instead just caused FGU to think between sessions I had erased everything.

For anyone who might face that initial transfer issue, any recommendations for how to proceed if they come looking in the forums like I did before they dig themselves into a hole, like I also did?

I'm having a similar problem. I copied the entire campaign directory from one computer to another computer, selected the campaign, but it does not load any of the data. The assets are available, but no PCs, custom NPCs, encounters or etc. Is there a lock file or anything in the campaign directory?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mah25 View Post
    I'm having a similar problem. I copied the entire campaign directory from one computer to another computer, selected the campaign, but it does not load any of the data. The assets are available, but no PCs, custom NPCs, encounters or etc. Is there a lock file or anything in the campaign directory?
    No lock file. Can you screen shot your campaign directory with details shown? Also be aware that if you have modules from the forums or the DMsGuild, those will also have to be copied to FGU.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Thanks for the quick reply. I was able to figure out the problem. The db.xml file was missing, but the old db.session.yyyymmdd.xml were there, so I copied renamed the most recent one db.xml. I think the issue may have been copying the campaign folder while the campaign was open in Fantasy Grounds. Another lesson learned about campaign file structure. Thanks again LordEntrails.

Blog Entries
    You should make sure that all versions of the Fantasy Grounds client are closed on both source and target computers when doing the campaign copies.

I have a similar question, I have a PC in my basement where i do my Saturday games and a laptop I use upstairs where I would like to do most of my prep work. Based on what I'm reading this can be done but I would want to do this repeatedly from PC to Laptop and the Laptop to PC and repeat. Can I just use "remote connection" to operate the PC from the laptop?

Thread Information