5E Product Walkthrough Playlist

Safe To Remove Rulesets

Is it safe to remove rulesets that I don't use? For example, past D&D editions, games I don't play, etc. It seems like a waste of bandwidth, storage, and time for the updater to constantly go through stuff I don't even use.

On the same note, can purchased items be selected to no longer check for updates as well?

Blog Entries
    If you remove them, the updater will reinstall them. There is no way to tell FG not to install them or update them. Except now during the FGU open beta, updates to rulesets are usually uncommon and to products even less so.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

... no way to tell FG not to install them or update them...
    That would be a useful feature.

Blog Entries
    Like most things, it's about priorities and resources and trade-offs. I believe this is already on the wish list, if it is, then you can vote for it, if not, then you can add it.

I suspect the devs are not keen to add it because it is very likely that many folks would disable things they think they don't need, and then not remember to enable it when they do need it. Or they might disable things they do need but don't know they need. All of which results in unhappy customers and more support requests. Yes much of that can be resolved, but it requires more and more developer time to do so. And, would the community rather have this feature, or another? Myself, since I can start an update before I go do something else, I would rather have many other features before this one.

Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

having all that stuff doesn't increase your load time, only your update time (when and if an items gets an update).
    aka Laendra

(Discord: Laendra#9660)
    Ultimate license (FGC/FGU)
    Current Timezone : Central (CDT) (GMT -5)
    OP: 3317036507 / 2369539

My opinions are my own and represent no entity other than myself

Extension Support Discord: https://discord.gg/gKgC7nGpZK

Extensions = risk to your gaming experience. If you haven't tested out the extensions in your campaign before your gaming session, turn them off. If you don't backup your campaigns regularly, you're doing it wrong.

I see no value whatsoever, outside of a compulsive disorder, to remove rulesets from fg that aren't used. You would gain nothing by removing them. Simply ignore them.

Blog Entries
    You would save hard drive space and time updating them. BUT, as I said, the updater will just re-install them, so you will actually cause yourself more updating than if you just leave them.

Thats an interesting request....you do know that Smiteworks updates modules, sourcebooks, etc., which includes modules collected from developers as well....not sure that I would want to have to monitor all of that on a weekly or monthly basis....I agree with everyone else, just leave it alone as there is no real way to just click a switch on the updater to only update certain files especially since some of these items are purchased through the Smiteworks website and thats how they monitor what you have and what to update.

I also like that in the Shop at the FG website, it lets me know what I have already purchased which prevents me from re-purchasing something that I already have.

Nowadays saving from disk space by removing ruleset or this is insignificant... Storage is cheap even the flash one. Prolonged update time indeed is issue, but you don't update just before the session starts... right?
    The past is a rudder to guide us, not an anchor to hold us back.

Thread Information