DMsGuild
  1. #1

    How do I add effect duration and units in <effects> in combat tracker nodes? (5E)

    I'm trying to do what I've done before except now I have odd duration times that are not just in rounds. Per some examples for spells I found the 5E code I did the following:

    Code:
    EffectManager.addEffect("", "", nodeNewCTEntry, { sName = sFilterEffect, nDuration = 1, sUnits = "hour", sSource = nodeSourceNameCT.getNodeName()}, false);
    And got this in db.xml for the combat tracker node:

    Code:
    					<id-00001>
    						<public />
    						<holder name="SilentRuin" owner="true" />
    						<duration type="number">0</duration>
    						<init type="number">0</init>
    						<isactive type="number">1</isactive>
    						<isgmonly type="number">0</isgmonly>
    						<label type="string">My Effect</label>
    						<source_name type="string">combattracker.list.id-00002</source_name>
    					</id-00001>

    I don't get how to add units of time to show how long an effect will be around except in terms of rounds. What do I do? Assume each round is 6 sec - divide by how many of those are in the number of minutes/hours/days I have and stick that in there?

    I'm confused as to why the 5E code would have spell effect constants defined as if they can be used in an effect. How do I do this?

  2. #2
    damned's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    22,117
    Blog Entries
    1
    Add an effect that lasts for 1 hour and another that lasts for 10 minutes
    Hit /save in chat and check what the db.xml is showing for those effects.

    MoreCore - Generic Ruleset
    --- Projects ---
    Extensions | Tutorials | MoreCore | MoreCore Themes | Call of Cthulhu | Maelstrom | FG Con

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by damned View Post
    Add an effect that lasts for 1 hour and another that lasts for 10 minutes
    Hit /save in chat and check what the db.xml is showing for those effects.
    I create a "My Effect" (10 min) and "My Effect 2" (1 hour) via the effects button in FGU. This creates entries at the root level <effects> as shown here:

    Code:
    		<id-00002>
    			<public />
    			<holder name="SilentRuin" owner="true" />
    			<duration type="number">10</duration>
    			<isgmonly type="number">0</isgmonly>
    			<label type="string">My Effect</label>
    			<unit type="string">minute</unit>
    		</id-00002>
    		<id-00004>
    			<public />
    			<holder name="SilentRuin" owner="true" />
    			<duration type="number">1</duration>
    			<isgmonly type="number">0</isgmonly>
    			<label type="string">My Effect 2</label>
    			<unit type="string">hour</unit>
    		</id-00004>
    And if I drop them on a combat tracker entry I get the following under <effects> at combat tracker:

    Code:
    					<id-00001>
    						<public />
    						<holder name="SilentRuin" owner="true" />
    						<duration type="number">100</duration>
    						<init type="number">3</init>
    						<isactive type="number">1</isactive>
    						<isgmonly type="number">0</isgmonly>
    						<label type="string">My Effect</label>
    					</id-00001>
    					<id-00002>
    						<public />
    						<holder name="SilentRuin" owner="true" />
    						<duration type="number">0</duration>
    						<init type="number">3</init>
    						<isactive type="number">1</isactive>
    						<isgmonly type="number">0</isgmonly>
    						<label type="string">My Effect 2</label>
    					</id-00002>
    So essentially your telling me that EffectManager.addEffect() has no way to supply anything but number of rounds to CT?

    And that CT has no way of ever displaying any duration other than rounds - and that any other time is left to the DM's imagination to track.

    I was kind of hoping I was doing something wrong.

  4. #4
    damned's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    22,117
    Blog Entries
    1
    The Combat Tracker is intended for... Combat. Thats what it was designed for.

    Some GMs/groups like to track much more of their game in much more detail.
    Some just hand wave all that extra detail away and there is everything in between.
    The Combat Tracker uses rounds and only rounds.
    It looks like any unit above minutes - or possibly its above a certain number of rounds - is just treated as not expiring as far as the CT is concerned.
    The CT has no way of knowing whether you were in 3 fights back to back to back inside the span of 5 minutes or whether they took place over 5 hours.

    MoreCore - Generic Ruleset
    --- Projects ---
    Extensions | Tutorials | MoreCore | MoreCore Themes | Call of Cthulhu | Maelstrom | FG Con

  5. #5
    Trenloe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Newcastle, UK (for a bit)
    Posts
    27,315
    Quote Originally Posted by SilentRuin View Post
    So essentially your telling me that EffectManager.addEffect() has no way to supply anything but number of rounds to CT?

    And that CT has no way of ever displaying any duration other than rounds - and that any other time is left to the DM's imagination to track.
    That is correct. The combat tracker measures time in rounds, not hours - so effects with long durations are left up to the group to manage based off the GMs indication of passage of time.

    The 5E ruleset does have an option to advance the number of rounds (1 round, 5, 10, 15 or 20 rounds) to move the time forward a little if there are some effects in play that might expire sooner than others. Also, the "short rest" option removes all effects with a duration other than 0.

    As mentioned, the combat tracker is not designed to track time beyond a few rounds of combat - it's been "stretched" to cover long than that, but it's not really designed to do that.
    FG Con 16 Fantasy Grounds Online RPG Convention - Postponed New date To Be Confirmed.
    Register at www.fg-con.com for all the latest info.

    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by damned View Post
    The Combat Tracker is intended for... Combat. Thats what it was designed for.

    Some GMs/groups like to track much more of their game in much more detail.
    Some just hand wave all that extra detail away and there is everything in between.
    The Combat Tracker uses rounds and only rounds.
    It looks like any unit above minutes - or possibly its above a certain number of rounds - is just treated as not expiring as far as the CT is concerned.
    The CT has no way of knowing whether you were in 3 fights back to back to back inside the span of 5 minutes or whether they took place over 5 hours.
    I got that - and understand it. I was just surprised it was utterly ignored. Figured it would at least appear in a the effect message generated in chat as it is obviously being parsed - but nothing.

    Anyway, got it. Thanks.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
SWADE Playlist

Log in

Log in