5E Product Walkthrough Playlist
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

FGU Line of Sight question

How do you handle the LoS function when using torches? A character who does not have dark vision uses a torch. That torch is good for 20' bright and an additional 20' of dim lighting and lasts for 1 hour. Is that something Unity picks up on once the player equips the torch or is there something that I have to enter on the character sheet so Unity knows and allows the player to have 20' bright + 20' of dim?
    Thanks for all the help.
    Wert

Vision and lighting is not supported on FGU yet. We have plans to add after we get past the first release.

Regards,
    JPG

So for now then all players have the same LoS regardless of race? Its really LoS and not dynamic lighting.

Quote Originally Posted by Wert View Post
    So for now then all players have the same LoS regardless of race? Its really LoS and not dynamic lighting.
    Yes, it is line of sight. You can use the mask in conjunction with LOS if you want to restrict the vision length.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

It is line of effect, not line of sight. There are many other factors in the rules and in the situation that would account for sight. It would be very difficult to automate actual line of sight.
    I never claimed to be sane. Besides, it's more fun this way.

Combining a line of sight together with a vision radius doesn't sound very difficult to automate. Another VTT I have has it already but even that isn't perfect.
    I would like then they implement the effect that they consider other systems versions on dark vision and not only go for 5e version. Some has only night vision there for getting dim light radius you need a light source. But then you have a light source you get some extra radius on the dim vision radie due to night vision. Like then its dark its dark but then there is light you have a bigger area. It's some parameters for vision that to happen that are needed to be adjusted from the character sheet.

Quote Originally Posted by RunningHill View Post
    Combining a line of sight together with a vision radius doesn't sound very difficult to automate. Another VTT I have has it already but even that isn't perfect.
    I would like then they implement the effect that they consider other systems versions on dark vision and not only go for 5e version. Some has only night vision there for getting dim light radius you need a light source. But then you have a light source you get some extra radius on the dim vision radie due to night vision. Like then its dark its dark but then there is light you have a bigger area. It's some parameters for vision that to happen that are needed to be adjusted from the character sheet.
    That's my point. It's not that simple when each rule system has its own way of handling vision, possibly with multiple fictional types of vision, magical and mundane ways to limit or remove sight, and different perceptions from character to character.
    I never claimed to be sane. Besides, it's more fun this way.

It's not just vision, but also lighting. I mean, a human in a well-lighted open area can see for miles. And, then there's lighting at various distances, as well as vision types with limited ranges. There's a lot of interpretation to be applied; as well as considering somewhat ambiguous areas such as dim lighting regions and what they should look like, etc.

Regards,
    JPG

Never mind..
    Last edited by RunningHill; July 31st, 2020 at 08:25.

Thread Information