5E Product Walkthrough Playlist
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

New 5e GM User Questions

Hello, I'm still learning all that FGU can do. Using FGU, some questions if anyone is willing to help:

1. Can I use the party sheet to withdraw funds from a player/players?
    If three players want to buy a cart for 15 GP, can I withdraw that amount from the group translating into a withdraw of 5gp from each? The opposite of how it disturbed treasure.

2. Is there a way to set some NPCs to always be friendly or neutral when added to a combat tracker?

3. How can I assign NPCs? On table-top, I would just pass the character sheet around to another player each round for them to use.

4. Can I lock the player movement to make them measure movement before moving? Is there a measuring device?

5. How do I make that a player is hidden on the CT, so they get advantage and sneak attack damage if allowed?

Thank you - I know this is disjointed. Thank you to anyone helping.

Quote Originally Posted by Poe the Homunculus View Post
    Hello, I'm still learning all that FGU can do. Using FGU, some questions if anyone is willing to help:

1. Can I use the party sheet to withdraw funds from a player/players?
    If three players want to buy a cart for 15 GP, can I withdraw that amount from the group translating into a withdraw of 5gp from each? The opposite of how it disturbed treasure.
    I don't think so, but there might be an extension for it.

2. Is there a way to set some NPCs to always be friendly or neutral when added to a combat tracker?
    When you create the encounter you set them however you want by clicking the red icon (defaults to red for enemy but you can cycle through the options). Then when you add the encounter to the combat tracker they show up however you set them.

3. How can I assign NPCs? On table-top, I would just pass the character sheet around to another player each round for them to use.
    drag and drop the NPC onto the portrait of the character who gets control.

4. Can I lock the player movement to make them measure movement before moving? Is there a measuring device?
    it is an option where you can lock tokens and the DM approves movement. Yes there are multiple ways to measure. Anything that is targeted has an arrow showing the targeting and the distance. You can use pointers to check distances also. I'm 99% sure I'm forgetting a third way to measure.

5. How do I make that a player is hidden on the CT, so they get advantage and sneak attack damage if allowed?
    you don't need to. Advantage you click a button at the bottom of the chat window. Sneak attack is a power you code. Typically something like "sneak attack; DMG: 2d6 piercing [ROLL][SELF]" then the player activates it after hitting and before damage. It removes itself after the damage so it won't interfere with the next roll should they have more than one. There's a lot of finesse you can add with the abilities and bonuses, details are here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/...php/5E_Effects

Thank you - I know this is disjointed. Thank you to anyone helping.
    Anytime, feel free to keep asking. And do check out the fantasy grounds college, they have a discord and people who can walk you through answers, etc. Great group of people.
    https://fantasygroundscollege.net/

Blog Entries
    Note on #4, FGC has toekn locking. FGU does not currently have token locking and it is not planned for initial release.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

1. Not that I am aware of. You can create a parcel with negative gold and draop that parcel onto the player portrait and when they then drag that to their inventory it will deduct the gold. Probably just easier to do the arithmetic.
    2. See video none here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...l-Video-Series
    3. See this video https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...176#post387176
    4. Not ion FGU. When you target an enemy a white arrow with the distance will be shown when you mouse over the token. You can also hold down both mouse buttons and drag to create an arrow with a distance on it.
    5. You would create effects where appropriate for things like Sneak attack see these videos (especially seven) https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...reation-Videos and also these https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...-Videos-for-5E.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

I have an additional question that all my players are asking me. Im sorry if this is inthe worng place- new to forums haha.

My players want to know if there is a an easy way to see a list of what each of them can do on their bonus action? We came from dndn beyond and they had a tab that allowed you to see exactly what it is you can do on your bonus action in relation to spell, feats etc.

as i said im pretty new to thsi so sorry if its in the wrong place and sounds silly.

Helpe greatly appreciated.

Blog Entries
    Not normally. Or perhaps I should say FG doesn't organize the character sheet that way, but your players could do it manually.

For instance, if players put all of their actions into the actions tab of their character sheet (even ones that don't do damage or apply effects) they could then put them in a group called "Bonus Actions" And then that would be their list. I normally group my actions by where they come from (Racial Traits, Class Features, Spells), but they could also be group by their action or bonus action. Except maybe spells... You could still group bonus action spells as bonus actions, but the player would have to keep track of spell use separately and know the spell level. Note that such a player could simple append a spell level in the spell name (i.e. "Shield [1]") to assist with that.

Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    Not normally. Or perhaps I should say FG doesn't organize the character sheet that way, but your players could do it manually.

For instance, if players put all of their actions into the actions tab of their character sheet (even ones that don't do damage or apply effects) they could then put them in a group called "Bonus Actions" And then that would be their list. I normally group my actions by where they come from (Racial Traits, Class Features, Spells), but they could also be group by their action or bonus action. Except maybe spells... You could still group bonus action spells as bonus actions, but the player would have to keep track of spell use separately and know the spell level. Note that such a player could simple append a spell level in the spell name (i.e. "Shield [1]") to assist with that.

Thank you so much. I don’t suppose you would be willing to add a screen shot of how you’ve done yours would you? I like the idea of that

Blog Entries
    Well, here's a quick sample I threw together. So it might have problems/issues with it and this are not 'valid' character (i.e. given them actions their class does not really have etc), but the idea should be clear.
    Screen Shot 07-31-20 at 10.25 AM.PNG
    Tanner.xml

I like to reference players to this website to cover actions and make them get familiar with their characters abilities as well. https://crobi.github.io/dnd5e-quickr.../quickref.html
    And you can go through and make a bonus action section like LordEntrails has done or add a (B) to the spell\ability name (to know it's a Bonus Action), think this is how Rob2e handles most of the extension mods. Biggest thing is the players getting familiar with their abilities and thinking of how they can utilize them and under what conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by BaneTBC View Post
    I like to reference players to this website to cover actions and make them get familiar with their characters abilities as well. https://crobi.github.io/dnd5e-quickr.../quickref.html
    And you can go through and make a bonus action section like LordEntrails has done or add a (B) to the spell\ability name (to know it's a Bonus Action), think this is how Rob2e handles most of the extension mods. Biggest thing is the players getting familiar with their abilities and thinking of how they can utilize them and under what conditions.
    Genuinely thank you so much. The rob2e mods can I lay for them at dm guild? I need to get used to do things myself but having done that are done and then learning from there seems like a good way to move forward. Thanks both of you and that picture lordentrails makes me realise it’s shouldn’t be that hard

Thread Information